Fan Monster Choices For Godzilla Sequel (Spoiler Warning)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Fan Monster Choices For Godzilla Sequel (Spoiler Warning)

Post by KaijuDuke »

So yeah, I put the spoiler warning in the title so people who haven't seen the movie yet know to stay away from this thread since we'll need to discuss spoilers from the film if we want to talk about which kaiju we think we would be best for the sequel lol.

Any who, due to the new Godzilla's well earned success in the box office, Legendary has already green lit a sequel, and though we know not what it may ultimately be about, its probably safe to assume it will involve Godzilla and more monsters lol. Edwards has said in interviews that he'd like to do something involving Monster Island or something similar to Destroy All Monsters, and apparently Legendary acquired the rights to several Toho kaiju, we just don't know which ones yet...Couldn't get more mysterious than if the Mysterians themselves were involved! :shock: :lol:

That being said, which Toho monsters do you think should appear in the next Godzilla film? And which should be saved for later sequels?

Personally, considering how well the new origins for Godzilla & the M.U.T.O. were set up in the latest film, I'd prefer it if Legendary used earthly monsters first, since pretty much every prehistoric beast or nuclear mutant from the original Toho series can now be explained/reintroduced as creatures stemming back to the same bygone age as Godzilla, either sleeping deep beneath the earth or under the sea all this time to access earth's natural radiation. Creatures with more bizarre or complicated origins should be saved for later (so the films have a way to up the ante once Godzilla's beaten all his natural born earthly rivals), that means mutants, robots, mystical beasts, and alien lifeforms. This is assuming they end up trying to do an ongoing series/franchise rather than merely a trilogy or something...Personally, I'd look forward to a new Godzilla movie coming out every other summer in place of more bad films based off beloved cartoons from the 80s & early 90s like the Bayformer films >_<

For Godzilla II or whatever the title will ultimately be, I'd like to see any of the following...

1) Rodan: A member of the famous four who hasn't been given a turn in the spotlight recently, i.e. hasn't been overused to death like Mothra or King Ghidorah. Plus, at his best Rodan is a truly worthy foe for Godzilla, physically powerful, airborne and fast, & can withstand Godzilla's atomic breath, so he'd make a great main opponent for a new film.

2) Anguirus: Gotta love that spiky persistent saurian badass, would love to see him in CGI, and I think American audiences would respond well to his design.

3) Titanosaurus: A long shot perhaps given his obscurity, but he's a strong fighter and can fight Godzilla on land or sea, and god knows I've been wanting to see a good underwater fight scene between Godzilla & another monster for ages.

4) Baragon: Okay, okay, at his usual size and power levels Baragon wouldn't be much of a threat to the Big G, at most he'd be a means by which to show off how big and strong Godzilla is by comparison (give Goji something to hunt lol), HOWEVER, Baragon IS a confirmed man-eater so scenes with him could be gruesome, and if he were increased in size and stature the same way many Godzilla foes, including King Kong, have been in the past, he could go from being a lesser kaiju to a proper rival for Godzilla to overcome (especially if they both had firepower to match). In a way it be kinda appropriate for a monster of the sea to challenge a monster of the land, poetic even.

5) Varan: Another obscure but cool kaiju I think audiences would enjoy, certainly looks like a creature who'd share the same environment as Godzilla & stem from the same time period. Dude's been screwed over so many times in the past, could be neat to finally seen him get an active role in film, even if its just one battle rather than being the primary antagonist kaiju.

Honorable Mentions: Biollante, cuz why the hell not? She's awesome! And her tendrils would provide a unique means by which to menace civilians as a friend on DA pointed out to me, choking up sewers and subways with her roots and vines etc. Granted however, I'll admit she may be best saved for later if they ever get around to genetic mutations after naturally occurring kaiju like the new Godzilla, but if people could overlook the Goji hybrid origins she could make a cool creature even without G-Cells inside her, maybe the threat of her seeds spreading or her roots contaminating the soil with radiation being a major threat (or possibly serve as a means to terraform a stable habitat for Godzilla & the others to live on, a new Monster Island with her as its "World Tree" as it were, the heart of the island if you will).

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Fan Monster Choices For Godzilla Sequel (Spoiler Warning

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Don't get me wrong I'd love Ghidorah, just not yet. I'd also prefer not to see Mothra at all. If I had to choos II'd definitely go with Anguirus or Rodan or both.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Anguirus, Varan, Gorosaurus, Baragon, Titanosaurus, King Caesar. All monsters who haven't had a ton of appearances and need more love. First five would be really easy to pull off as well.

Biollante and Hedorah would be epic foes and have some messages associated with them (Biollante = bioengineering, Hedorah = pollution).

And also, Bagan. BAGAN.

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

I'd go for Titanosaurus, Varan, Biollante, Kamoebas, Manda, or Gabara.
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

Gamingboy
Yojimbo

Post by Gamingboy »

I like my theory: Have Mothra be a goddess, in that she's worshipped by the natives of her small, almost entirely cut-off form the rest of the world island... but make it ambiguous as to whether she actually is a goddess or is just a badass giant moth/butterfly/thing who happens to be worshiped by people who think she is.

The twins could be the high-priestesses of the island, and they'd be normal sized, but it'd also be left ambiguous as to whether they have some sort of psychic bond with Mothra and if Mothra shows up where they are being held captive because they are being held captive, or just as a coincidence due to the fact a seemingly-out-of-control Godzilla is there.

(It would then turn out that Godzilla wasn't really out of control, but rather was looking for some sort of hideaway or nest or whatever that the created-for-the-movie villain was in, and when you're Godzilla, there's always going to be collateral damage.)

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Zilla, Varan, Gorosaurus and Titanosaurus, all with new origins tied to radiation.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

To go off of what LC said about Biollante, I would take it one step closer to the original version.

A genetic scientist is doing work on Godzilla, his daughter keeps roses, his daughter dies (maybe in a Godzilla attack), out of desperation/depression he combine the Godzilla, rose, and his daughter's cells together. In his troubled mind he's keeping her soul alive. No need to actually open that can of worms and weirdness, but we still get that distraught father angle and, maybe, a bit of a discussion on the metaphysics of the whole thing.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Titanosaurus could work. They did say in the film that the prehistoric creatures adapted to the ocean so they could feed off the earth's natural radiation from the ocean floor, or something along those lines.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

blaze
Samurai

Post by blaze »

I'm not sure about these ones:

Titanosaurus has the name of a real sauropod dinosaur, of which a whole group of them is named after. It's design is rather derivative and follows some B-movie tropes, do you want it to be more aquatic than Godzilla? give him decorative fish fins and call it a day. If it went through a radical redesign would it still be titanosaurus? would anyone like to see its design changed?

Gorosaurus looks like an early 1900s depiction of a Tyrannosaurus, Godzilla's time is also said implicitly (in the movie) and explicitly (awakening) to be before the dinosaurs, so how are you going to explain a super giant T. rex?

Varan, I can suspend my disbelieve for flying giant monsters but gliding giant monsters? maybe this is just me, still all of its scenes will need to be close to some mountain for his ability to be useful at all.

And about masers, I know they are an staple of the Godzilla franchise but IRL despite the technology being older than laser, they were never able to make weapons out of it, laser are simply orders of magnitude superior for that purpose, why not use lasers instead?

I would definitely want King Ghidora in the final film but I wonder how they could redesign him to look more alien but not so much as to alienate fans.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Hedorah, considering Banno's involvement.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Chris55 wrote:My money is on King Ghidorah
Chris says Ghidorah.

King Ghidorah confirmed guys.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Living Corpse Wrote: Sooner or later we're gonna have to bring out more complex monsters. There's only so many time using the "old leftover from a bygone age thing" can work before people start saying it's the same shit different day, and only so many times we can use tooth and claw exclusive monsters before people start saying it's not fair because Godzilla has a projectile and all the enemies run together. That being said.

Rodan and Anguirus: Easy to pull off, recognized by many none fans and fans the world over alike. Nuff said.

Kumonga and Kamacuras: Could be tricky since after the Mutos going with these two would be retreading on the insect like route.

Gigan and King Ghidorah: Can easily be done without the alien mind control or invasion. Gigan could be a weapon aliens lost that was burried under ice for eons, King Ghidorah could just wonder to Earth.

Hedorah: Could be an alien spore fallen to earth or bio engineered microbes that was made to eat oil spills but became self aware. Heck could also be an ancient creature woken by being dug up.

Biollante: Complex? Yes. Complicated? No. An experiment with Godzilla and plant DNA like before. Doesn't need to have a dead woman involved, the human cells, if any, could be donated by one of the researchers. Godzilla did bleed, not hard to see them finding blood and skin samples.

I agree with your reasoning and choices, best to use the bygone era monsters first then slowly but surely up the ante with mutants and aliens as time goes by. Rodan and Anguirus would be my first choices as well, and I too agree Biollante's return wouldn't be too complicated to bring about. Ghidorah and Gigan would be great introductions to alien threats later on, perhaps kicking things off with Gigan first then leading up to the big bad himself, Ghidorah.

Hedorah works as either an alien or some manmade experiment gone wrong, he'd look great in CGI. I see your point about Kumonga and Kamacuras, but perhaps Megalon or Megaguirus would be easier to pull off?

GalacticPetey wrote:
Chris says Ghidorah.

Really? Which thread did he say that in? Or was it a podcast? Any other monsters confirmed?

I have mixed feelings about this...Ghidorah's great and all, but he had plenty of appearances in the Millennium era (none of them arguably that good mind you, but still...). PLUS, if Ghidorah is going to appear in the FIRST sequel to Legendary Godzilla, its unlikely that they'll maintain his alien origins since its too early in the new franchise to abandon the M.U.T.O. angle for extraterrestrials...Not to mention it will be pretty hard to up the ante in a third sequel if they use Godzilla's most popular and iconic arch nemesis right off the bat. Really wish they'd pace themselves and use Rodan first, or Anguirus, rather than repeat the Millennium era's mistakes.

I'll admit that Ghidorah will probably make a better Muto than a magic guardian or a time displace mutation, but he's still generally more well known for being "The King of Terror" and a "Destroyer of Worlds," so even if they bring in aliens later, like Gigan, it won't have the same impact as Ghidorah would.
Last edited by KaijuDuke on Fri May 23, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

KaijuDuke wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
Chris says Ghidorah.

Really? Which thread did he say that in? Or was it a podcast? Any other monsters confirmed?

I have mixed feelings about this...Ghidorah's great and all, but he had plenty of appearances in the Millennium era (none of them arguably that good mind you, but still...). PLUS, if Ghidorah is going to appear in the FIRST sequel to Legendary Godzilla, its unlikely that they'll maintain his alien origins since its too early in the new franchise to abandon the M.U.T.O. angle for extraterrestrials...Not to mention it will be pretty hard to up the ante in a third sequel if they use Godzilla's most popular and iconic arch nemesis right off the bat. Really wish they'd pace themselves and use Rodan first, or Anguirus, rather than repeat the Millennium era's mistakes.

I'll admit that Ghidorah will probably make a better Muto than a magic guardian or a time displace mutation, but he's still generally more well known for being "The King of Terror" and a "Destroyer of Worlds," so even if they bring in aliens later, like Gigan, it won't have the same impact as Ghidorah would.
He literally said it in this thread. Granted, he may not know. I was just making a joke.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

GalacticPetey wrote: He literally said it in this thread. Granted, he may not know. I was just making a joke.

Ah, I see...Excuse me while I go apologize to the Xian Controller for his stupid master plan for conquering earth by getting the humans involved instead of leaving them in the dark til the last moment...Clearly I'm not all there either :dizzy: :xilien:

Sorry about that, Galactic Prey :oops:

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Bagan.

Unfortunately, if they did include him, he would have to defeat Godzilla.

G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

My choices are

1. Varan
2. Rodan
3. Hedorah
4. Manda
5. Anguirus

It would be great to have 2 monsters again, like say Varan + Manda, but I'd like to see just one in the case of Rodan or Hedorah. I guess you could get Rodan + Anguirus to work. Manda would be a great tie in for the skeleton where the MUTOs were found. It was very serpent like. Maybe Manda + Anguirus?
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

These choices are the kaiju I personally think can fit in the new movie well.

Muto (could be anoter one we didn't know about. )
Shinomura
Anguirus
Rodan
Baragon
Varan
Manda
Titanosaurus
Biollante
Hedorah
Ebirah
Kamakurus
Kumonga.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

Biollante, Hedorah, Destroyer, Varan, and Anguirus are the ones I'd like most to see. King Ghidora more or less needs to appear eventually to. The Muto-Gigan fan art that's circulating on Facebook currently kind of makes me want to see that. Third Muto named Gigan. It wouldn't be a cyborg probably, but it could still be true to the original beast.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Just asking but why do so many people want Hedorah?
^This post in sexually offensive.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

xenotactics wrote:Biollante, Hedorah, Destroyer, Varan, and Anguirus are the ones I'd like most to see. King Ghidora more or less needs to appear eventually to. The Muto-Gigan fan art that's circulating on Facebook currently kind of makes me want to see that. Third Muto named Gigan. It wouldn't be a cyborg probably, but it could still be true to the original beast.
I too love the Muto Gigan and think it would make a great monster for a sequel. It'd be a good way to bring the Mutos back without feeling like a retread, too.