If Edwards doesn't come back, who should Direct Godzilla 2??

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
urillusion
Ronin

Re: If Edwards doesn't come back, who should Direct Godzilla

Post by urillusion »

I'll take a more lighthearted Godzilla movie, then lets say... a serious Godzilla movie WITH NO GODZILLA IN IT all day every day. I really wanted a dark, serious film that focused on Godzilla, but I guess that was too much to ask.

Gamingboy
Yojimbo

Post by Gamingboy »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
DarthZilla wrote:John Carpenter's "Godzilla vs The Thing"... :P
Ah, finally this poster won't be a compete lie!
http://dailygrindhouse.com/wp-content/u ... Poster.jpg
:lol:
Am I the only one who has always thought that could actually make a good poster for what might have happened if Biollante was a Showa monster?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

^I never thought of it until now, but once you mentioned it I can defiantly see that.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Godzillasaurus wrote:Hasn't he already signed off on the two sequels??? Seriously, using a different director for the sequel of ANY franchise already is a bad sign
Alien to Aliens
Captain America to Winter Soldier
Thor to Dark World
Quantum of Solace to Skyfall
Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 3
Fast & Furious to Fast Five
M:I to Ghost Protocol

For starters; even Megaguirus to GMK basically counts despite the new universe. You have to have the right director. I think del Toro has an admiration for an aesthetic that I personally am in favor of, seen in the Hellboy films, Pan's Labyrinth (also one of my favorite movies of all time), and Pacific Rim. Just listen to the commentary on the PR home media. THAT is a person who loves film and kaiju. The perfect person to direct Godzilla 2 or probably just about any kaiju film.
-Aliens to Aliens 3 and to Resurrection. Goes downhill.
-I'll give you this because these first Captain America film pretty much ignored Nazism and the Holocaust or the unlikelihood of the Howling Commandos being a mixed race team. Skimped over the War in some instances.
-Never seen Solace ,but Skyfall got me to watch the Connery films.
- Dark World is a dub step music motion picture waiting to happen. Also, I'm tired of Loki being an über person that plans and succeeds no matter how we gets beat. This is where I vastly prefer the Ultimates comics in this respect, in that the Chitauri are just on their own whim. But yeah, they both tie to me though Dark World is better.
-Edward Norton's Hulk to Ruffalo's Hulk. Norton's Banner is more believable than Ruffalo who seems more like a Tony Stark than a Banner. And besides, the Hulk film actually is like the TV show.
- A barrel of monkeys. This dil maws more enjoyable than 2.
-Don't know.
- They're the same, but the quality is kept up with GP. Or that is how I see it.

-2000 to Megaguirus, Biollante to Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah to Destoroyah, Monster Zero to Destroy All Monsters, Raids Again to King Kong vs. G, and the Kiryu films to Final Wars show a likewise dip in quality. I do have to acknowledge that the last two of the Heisei were on par with the first two films, so I guess that proves something?

I'd love to see a film from Spielberg or James Cameron, but if not them, Joon-Ho Bong. Why Joon-Ho Bong? This South Korean Director proves he can do what it takes to make a great monster movie with a fantastic commentary not unlike the original Gojira. If Snowpiercer proves to be a success over here and his name becomes a mainstay in Hollywood, I'd want him to take the reigns so long as the overall tone of the first film is maintained. Even if Snowpiercer isn't a success, I would still want him to do a sequel.

I'd also would have loved in Ridley Scott got to do a film.

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Cranston's character had served its purpose. In Pacific Rim he would have predictably found some way to straggle along for the whole ride just because it's Cranston, but Edwards is too smart of a director to do that.
Right... he was the director, so why would you give him credit for the script?
Did he take part in writing the script? I have not been following the process so closely so i dont know.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Gawdziller wrote:I think everyone's thinking big nerdy choices. Chances are Legendary would go with the last person you'd expect, similar to betting it all on Edwards for the first film (or even chosing Christopher Nolan for Batman Begins).
Zach Snyder all the way. He can direct the sequel and find a way to shoehorn every single Toho kaiju into it so he can create a contrived expanded universe.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i don't want anybody but Gareth right now. he's remade the universe well and anyone new might take it and try to remold it, which i think would hurt it overall.

personal opinion: we're going to be waiting a while for the next Godzilla, BUT that's not a bad thing: that means there will be more time spent on a good movie, and more time to really sit down and look over what happened before. Edwards comes off as that kind of director, to go back and review what people didn't like and rework things accordingly for the next time. so, if i don't see the next Godzilla until 2018, or something, i'm fine with it.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Well I have good news and bad news. Gareth shall be returning! He is planning on doing Godzilla 2 after the next star wars film.

Link to article- http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/23/ ... wars-plans

I can see Legendary working on the behind the scenes items, getting Gareth back then working on the movie for a 2018 release. But hey uh, so is this thread now who should direct Godzilla 3? :P
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:What's wrong with a Del Toro Godzilla film?
Everything. The cartoony, fanboy approach to filmmaking he has unfortunately adopted in recent years is the last thing this franchise needs.
I vastly disagree. A Del Toro directed Godzilla would be, IMO, 100% awesome.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

DarthZilla wrote:John Carpenter's "Godzilla vs The Thing"... :P
Other best. Godzilla film. Ever. I've wanted this to become a reality for a while.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Got another one. What about Neil Blomkamp, director of Elysium?
Shadow Arena Records:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

What if Ronald emmerich directed it? :rimshot:. Just kidding.
Who knows he just might...if he does I can only imagine the rage.

Other than that.
5.Michael Bay
4. Sam Raimi
3. Christopher Nolan
2. Paul W. S. Anderson
1. Joss Whedon(For the love of god let him direct the third film at least!)
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

ernesth100 wrote:

Other than that.
5.Michael Bay
4. Sam Raimi
3. Christopher Nolan
2. Paul W. S. Anderson
Not Michael Bay. Never.Michael.Bay.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:

Other than that.
5.Michael Bay
4. Sam Raimi
3. Christopher Nolan
2. Paul W. S. Anderson
Not Michael Bay. Never.Michael.Bay.
Yeah. The only way I would ever want Michael Bay involved is if it was done like this:

We have a director who directs the actual movie, story-wise. Then Michael Bay comes in and does the action sequences only and not the rest of the movie. If they did it like that, I'd be on board with it.
Shadow Arena Records:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

^Exactly I think Michaels great with action!

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

gzilla46 wrote: Yeah. The only way I would ever want Michael Bay involved is if it was done like this:

We have a director who directs the actual movie, story-wise. Then Michael Bay comes in and does the action sequences only and not the rest of the movie. If they did it like that, I'd be on board with it.
He can't even do good action scenes. Everything is so shaky and cluttered you can't tell what the fuck is going on.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Oh, how about Steve McQueen, the 12 Years a Slave director.

Sounds like a strange choice, but he knows how to make you feel for his characters. He could pull it off.
Shadow Arena Records:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
gzilla46 wrote: Yeah. The only way I would ever want Michael Bay involved is if it was done like this:

He can't even do good action scenes. Everything is so shaky and cluttered you can't tell what the skreeonk is going on.
Whatever bro it's my opinion. Can't we just let it slide?
Godzilla The King wrote:The only other person I can see is Chris Nolan, he'd at least be able to fix the character problem. And hey, Ken Watanabe is an actor he LOVES to use so he'd return.
I put Chris on my list. But after seeing Whedons work on Avengers I can see him directing it great. Or maybe working with Nolan...then the movie would be awesome!

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

gzilla46 wrote:Oh, how about Steve McQueen, the 12 Years a Slave director.

Sounds like a strange choice, but he knows how to make you feel for his characters. He could pull it off.
I would have listed awarded directors like this earlier, but it feels like most of em would NOT be interested in Godzilla

Chris Nolan is probably the farthest catch when it comes to very good directors, as he did do batman, but i doubt he is even interested at all in this

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
junkerde wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:Oh, how about Steve McQueen, the 12 Years a Slave director.

I would have listed awarded directors like this earlier, but it feels like most of em would NOT be interested in Godzilla

Chris Nolan is probably the farthest catch when it comes to very good directors, as he did do batman, but i doubt he is even interested at all in this
He doesn't even like comic book characters, so the likelihood of him ever touching Godzilla is next to nil.
Then why did he choose to do Batman?
Shadow Arena Records: