If Edwards doesn't come back, who should Direct Godzilla 2??

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Re: If Edwards doesn't come back, who should Direct Godzilla

Post by junkerde »

gzilla46 wrote: Then why did he choose to do Batman?
Nolan's personal "jumping off point" of inspiration was The Man Who Falls, a short story by Denny O'Neil and Dick Giordano about Bruce's travels throughout the world.
Nolan stated his intention to reinvent the film franchise of Batman by "doing the origins story of the character, which is a story that's never been told before". Nolan said that humanity and realism would be the basis of the origin film, and that "the world of Batman is that of grounded reality. [It] will be a recognizable, contemporary reality against which an extraordinary heroic figure arises."

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

junkerde wrote:
gzilla46 wrote: Then why did he choose to do Batman?
Nolan's personal "jumping off point" of inspiration was The Man Who Falls, a short story by Denny O'Neil and Dick Giordano about Bruce's travels throughout the world.
Nolan stated his intention to reinvent the film franchise of Batman by "doing the origins story of the character, which is a story that's never been told before". Nolan said that humanity and realism would be the basis of the origin film, and that "the world of Batman is that of grounded reality. [It] will be a recognizable, contemporary reality against which an extraordinary heroic figure arises."
Basically, Nolan is one artsy motherfucker.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

What about Martin Scorsese? He's been kicking butt I've noticed of late, with Wolf of Wall Street for example.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Godzilla The King wrote:He at least had respect for Batman, I never doubted his Batman unlike Tim Burton's.

But yeah, I doubt he'd do Godzilla but I think he could do it justice.
he definitely WOULD have done it justice, especially the characters, but I hear the guy isnt too fond of extremities in CGI....so yeah also a reason why he wouldnt be interested

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

ernesth100 wrote:^Exactly I think Michaels great with action!
That's sad.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

OK, how about Jean-Marc Vallee, the Dallas Buyers Club guy?

He's pretty much the only guy left I could think when it comes to people who've made a Best Picture nominee of late.
Shadow Arena Records:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
That's sad.
Dude...let it go. Just my opinion. So who thinks this is jumbled up and bad http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kognysmDBE

Wait it is bad...bad ass that is. This is as good as a Live.Action Transformers fight could possibly get...ever. Notify me if you find better.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

ernesth100 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
That's sad.
Dude...let it go. Just my opinion. So who thinks this is jumbled up and bad http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kognysmDBE

Wait it is bad...bad ass that is. This is as good as a Live.Action Transformers fight could possibly get...ever. Notify me if you find better.
I'm going to have to side with you on this one ernesth. I don't think Bay should direct Godzilla ever, but I will say he does do some cool action.
Shadow Arena Records:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Bigdog wrote: I'd love to see a film from Spielberg or James Cameron, but if not them, Joon-Ho Bong. Why Joon-Ho Bong? This South Korean Director proves he can do what it takes to make a great monster movie with a fantastic commentary not unlike the original Gojira. If Snowpiercer proves to be a success over here and his name becomes a mainstay in Hollywood, I'd want him to take the reigns so long as the overall tone of the first film is maintained. Even if Snowpiercer isn't a success, I would still want him to do a sequel.

I'd also would have loved in Ridley Scott got to do a film.
My post was a response to the following absolute:
Seriously, using a different director for the sequel of ANY franchise already is a bad sign
So where ever Alien went after Aliens, for example, was not my point.

I am familiar with Joon-ho and have seen all of his full-length films other than Barking Dogs and that newest Snowpiercer, for which I am very excited. I'd like to see him director another kaiju-style Korean film, maybe daikaiju since there haven't been any good giant monster Korean films yet unfortunately.
BARAGONBREH wrote: Everything. The cartoony, fanboy approach to filmmaking he has unfortunately adopted in recent years is the last thing this franchise needs.
I never really got any of that from his films that I've seen. Hellboy isn't really cartoony so much as quirky-dark, which could also be said of some Batman entries. Pan's Labyrinth was very dark, and Blade II was dark-ish. I guess Pacific Rim, you mean? Even that I didn't find cartoony so much as "light".
gzilla46 wrote:Got another one. What about Neil Blomkamp, director of Elysium?
As long as it's District 9 Blomkamp and not Elysium Blomkamp. Elysium was decent but D9 was spectacular and special.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

ernesth100 wrote: Dude...let it go. Just my opinion. So who thinks this is jumbled up and bad http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kognysmDBE

Some shaky cam elements? Check. Pointless slow-mo? Check. Slanted angles that make everything feel more jarring? Check. Too zoomed-in at times and hard to follow when it is? Check. It's probably not the worst action sequence ever, but it has quite a few flaws.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Forget get it. Nevermind I also said Joss Whedon teaming up with Christopher Nolan. Whedon as Producer, Nolan as Director.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

ernesth100 wrote:Forget get it. Nevermind I also said Joss Whedon teaming up with Christopher Nolan. Whedon as Producer, Nolan as Director.
Yeah, first off... That clip you posted from Transformers? Headache-inducing nonsense that only someone born after 2000 could possibly enjoy. It made absolutely no visual sense, and literally made my stomach churn watching it. I can't believe you'd post such garbage as an example of Bay's skill at anything. That scene would make anyone who doesn't have ADD want to blow their brains out.

Second, Joss Whedon? Hell no. We don't need some Avengers bullshit ruining Godzilla.

Thank god that Edwards is signed on for the next two Godzilla films and that therefore none of these worthless directors the kids think are kewl are ever going to get the job.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Just...impossible...I...I can't anymore.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

ernesth100 wrote:Just...impossible...I...I can't anymore.
kill yourself

jk friend

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Del Toro would be my second choice besides Edwards.

Some other good choices would be Quentin Tarantino and Steven Speilberg.

I'm glad Edwards is signed on for 2 and 3, though. I really just want someone who will tackle Mothra or King Ghidorah and give them the same affection Edwards gave Godzilla.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!