Godzilla 2014 or Pacific Rim

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2014 or Pacific Rim

Post by MrGameguy »

Living Corpse wrote:
NSZ wrote:Considering the M.U.T.O.'s would eventually leave us without power if left unchecked, it could be easy to see how some people might view them as malevolent.
Malevolent implies they are purely evil creatures who want to destroy us all like demons. They just wanted to reproduce and were apathetic about who would die from it, just as Godzilla is apathetic about how many lives he kills just to reach the Mutos.

A threat to the human race? Yes, very much so. Evil? No, these aren't Gigan or King Ghidorah. Just dangerous animals that can not be allowed to reproduce.
I felt that should of been obvious.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

cancer is malevolent and it is not actively seeking to destroy you. we could call mosquitoes malevolent and they don't actively seek to drain you of blood. the MUTO are a malevolent force because they are looking out for their species at the expense of our own.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

three wrote:cancer is malevolent and it is not actively seeking to destroy you. we could call mosquitoes malevolent and they don't actively seek to drain you of blood. the MUTO are a malevolent force because they are looking out for their species at the expense of our own.
Wow, you just compared cancer (one of the worst things we've ever had to deal with) to two monsters in a Godzilla film. Do you not even think when you speak?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Post by Karmataurus »

Underworld54 wrote:
three wrote:cancer is malevolent and it is not actively seeking to destroy you. we could call mosquitoes malevolent and they don't actively seek to drain you of blood. the MUTO are a malevolent force because they are looking out for their species at the expense of our own.
Wow, you just compared cancer (one of the worst things we've ever had to deal with) to two monsters in a Godzilla film. Do you not even think when you speak?

Whale...

You're joking right?

Like, srsly?

Cancer is a disease. It's almost exactly like that. Disease and viruses don't kill people mindlessly (Technically, you could say that viruses cannot think as they have no brain), they do so to reproduce and spread themselves, which slowly degrades and kills people.

Secondly, since when has cancer been a major threat, let alone one of the worst things we've had to deal with? The main reason cancer is infamous is because we don't have a cure for it, not because of how lethal it is. Most people who have cancer survive it, and it's not nearly as common as you seem to be thinking.

I'd think that the Black Plauge, Holocaust, Threat of an EMP (Which the Mutos temporarily simulate), and nuclear weapons in general are far worse than cancer. Hell, half the diseases carried by a mosquito, which was mentioned earlier, are much more dangerous and widespread.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Karmataurus wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:

Whale...

You're joking right?

Like, srsly?

Cancer is a disease. It's almost exactly like that. Disease and viruses don't kill people mindlessly (Technically, you could say that viruses cannot think as they have no brain), they do so to reproduce and spread themselves, which slowly degrades and kills people.

Secondly, since when has cancer been a major threat, let alone one of the worst things we've had to deal with? The main reason cancer is infamous is because we don't have a cure for it, not because of how lethal it is. Most people who have cancer survive it, and it's not nearly as common as you seem to be thinking.

I'd think that the Black Plauge, Holocaust, Threat of an EMP (Which the Mutos temporarily simulate), and nuclear weapons in general are far worse than cancer. Hell, half the diseases carried by a mosquito, which was mentioned earlier, are much more dangerous and widespread.
Choosing cancer is pretty tasteless, there's probably members on this board who lost or will lose love ones because of it.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

I take it none of you ever had cancer hit you on a personal level? It's not a good thing.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

I sympathize with whatever hardship it has put you through, but the idea that you can't even make an offhand, impersonal reference to cancer without triggering someone seems a bit much.
In my opinion, of course.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

I just found the comment tasteless, especially when it's bring compared with a stupid movie, that's all. But yeah, I'm over it...just wanted to say it was insensitive. Please continue.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Underworld54 wrote:I take it none of you ever had cancer hit you on a personal level? It's not a good thing.
I have. Twice. I just don't expect people on the internet to magically know and treat me like a special snowflake by not bringing up anything that could offend anyone ever.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Underworld54 wrote:I take it none of you ever had cancer hit you on a personal level? It's not a good thing.
Lost my mom to it, the comparison didn't bother me.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

On the MUTOs as malevolent beings, there is one scene that I find funny and possibly a hint as to their feelings on humans. We are in a military HQ and watching the female MUTO rampage through Las Vegas on one of the monitors, and it seems to go out of its way to leap into the air to bring down the Eiffel Tower. I almost laugh every time I see it, she looks like she's having the time of her life like "WHEEEEE".
Monsters are the real people.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

MUTOs certainly seem to go out of their way to destroy things, something that Godzilla either didn't do or that the movie didn't want to show him doing.
In my opinion, of course.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Living Corpse wrote: http://i57.tinypic.com/jkc29h.png

These aren't Spacegodzilla trying to rule over the universe to fulfill some twisted God complex, they're more like big bears looking for a mate that are easily pissed off.

And our society is the bee hive and our nuclear energy the tasty honey. And we the bees that are in the way.
I'd say that is an accurate description.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

HannibalBarca wrote:MUTOs certainly seem to go out of their way to destroy things, something that Godzilla either didn't do or that the movie didn't want to show him doing.
Godzilla wasn't looking for a place to make a nest.

kaijumaikeru
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijumaikeru »

-post removed-
Last edited by kaijumaikeru on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Jatahaxe wrote:On the MUTOs as malevolent beings, there is one scene that I find funny and possibly a hint as to their feelings on humans. We are in a military HQ and watching the female MUTO rampage through Las Vegas on one of the monitors, and it seems to go out of its way to leap into the air to bring down the Eiffel Tower. I almost laugh every time I see it, she looks like she's having the time of her life like "WHEEEEE".
It was attempting to attack a helicopter, using the tower as leverage to launch herself. Not sure if the chopper was military or a media one, though.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Don't you fucking go there.

My little sister had it when she was two. Whilm's tumor. They had to take out her left kidney and almost a foot of intestine. The chemotherapy itself put her back in the hospital when she was four. She is still affected by the incident to this day, as periodically, some of her intestines will die off, and they have to cut them out. She sometimes has kidney problems, as, oh yeah, she only has one, and it will occasionally become overtaxed and not work properly. She will probably not live as long as most people do because of this.

I think three made a simple comment about how the MUTO and cancer are alike: while not actively evil, they seek to propagate themselves at the expense of all else. Nothing more.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

G2000 wrote:
Don't you skreeonking go there.

My little sister had it when she was two. Whilm's tumor. They had to take out her left kidney and almost a foot of intestine. The chemotherapy itself put her back in the hospital when she was four. She is still affected by the incident to this day, as periodically, some of her intestines will die off, and they have to cut them out. She sometimes has kidney problems, as, oh yeah, she only has one, and it will occasionally become overtaxed and not work properly. She will probably not live as long as most people do because of this.

I think three made a simple comment about how the MUTO and cancer are alike: while not actively evil, they seek to propagate themselves at the expense of all else. Nothing more.
I was only talking about the two members who made joke posts, it wasn't about everyone on this forum...I feel for you my man..

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Okay, then.

Thank you for your sympathy.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Underworld54 wrote: I was only talking about the two members who made joke posts, it wasn't about everyone on this forum...I feel for you my man..
Underworld54 wrote:
I don't see the joke you're referring to.