Official "I'm baffled at the hate this movie gets" thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Official "I'm baffled at the hate this movie gets" threa

Post by Captain Aktion »

Shisa Caesar wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:People who base expectations for a film mainly upon the advertising for said film always make me chuckle like crazy.

The film isn't the trailer(s) and no film has ever been their trailer.
So how do you pick what movie to see? Do you randomly turn up in the movie theater and throw a dart at a list of names then go on where it falls? You never try to find some basic information when you feel like watching certain type of movie?

How you do pick your entertainment if, apparently, you do not look at some basic info that is provided?
And some of that advertising were the actual director speaking. So, like, with your idea.... we cant even trust him? The point of all of that is to get people into theaters.
This is an incredibly easy question to answer. Watching trailers, hearing hype, listening to people attempt to interpret what they feel like their endeavor means to them, some dudes on an internet forum arguing minutiae based on blurry still-frames...yeah, all of that can give you an image of the film but it still isn't the film. The film is all that matters, not the advertisements and not whatever the crew says to build hype; in fact, most of that stuff is meant to instill an interest in finding out more by watching the actual film.

To answer your question more directly, I don't have to trust anything regarding a film. I can watch the damn thing if I have any interest in it and make up my own mind. Being misled by advertising, in the case of film, is pretty much a personal problem. If you could judge everything pertinent about a film by the trailers and the pitch-men then why bother even going to see it? You've already made up your mind of what it should be instead of just letting it be and judging it for that.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

Captain Aktion wrote: Being misled by advertising, in the case of film, is pretty much a personal problem. If you could judge everything pertinent about a film by the trailers and the pitch-men then why bother even going to see it? You've already made up your mind of what it should be instead of just letting it be and judging it for that.
That's an interesting point. How is being misled a personal problem in your view?

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Godnose wrote:How is being misled a personal problem in your view?
Aren't we always the one's complaining about things "not living up to the hype"? I'd say falling in line and taking marketing at face value is something you should be smart enough at this point to avoid. Advertising is meant to pique your interest in the quickest way possible, which surely involves taking some short-cuts and even liberties with the actual meat and potatoes of the film. Done in the right way, it certainly gets me in the mood for the film, but it's like complaining that Resident Evil doesn't look as good as its opening cut-scene; don't we all know how this works at this point?

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

I don't get the hate this movie is getting. This movie is no different then any other Godzilla movie and I actually liked it. I didn't see any real problems, other then the teasing. And even with the teasing it was still a good movie.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Captain Aktion wrote: This is an incredibly easy question to answer. Watching trailers, hearing hype, listening to people attempt to interpret what they feel like their endeavor means to them, some dudes on an internet forum arguing minutiae based on blurry still-frames...yeah, all of that can give you an image of the film but it still isn't the film. The film is all that matters, not the advertisements and not whatever the crew says to build hype; in fact, most of that stuff is meant to instill an interest in finding out more by watching the actual film.

To answer your question more directly, I don't have to trust anything regarding a film. I can watch the damn thing if I have any interest in it and make up my own mind. Being misled by advertising, in the case of film, is pretty much a personal problem. If you could judge everything pertinent about a film by the trailers and the pitch-men then why bother even going to see it? You've already made up your mind of what it should be instead of just letting it be and judging it for that.
^This 100%

It does bug me that some are complaining about this film when it could've ended up being another 1998........
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Godnose wrote:How is being misled a personal problem in your view?
Aren't we always the one's complaining about things "not living up to the hype"? I'd say falling in line and taking marketing at face value is something you should be smart enough at this point to avoid. Advertising is meant to pique your interest in the quickest way possible, which surely involves taking some short-cuts and even liberties with the actual meat and potatoes of the film. Done in the right way, it certainly gets me in the mood for the film, but it's like complaining that Resident Evil doesn't look as good as its opening cut-scene; don't we all know how this works at this point?
I doubt everyone knows how marketing works unfortunately. There's alot of psychology goes into marketing and I'm sure some people don't realise it. As for taking liberties well that's going to lead to people being pissed off.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Godnose wrote:
I doubt everyone knows how marketing works unfortunately. There's alot of psychology goes into marketing and I'm sure some people don't realise it. As for taking liberties well that's going to lead to people being pissed off.
Then I don't know what to say to that. I certainly can't account for all the people who look at a label telling them this is "the best thing ever" and believe it without having experienced it. I suppose that if you fall for all that stuff then I can see why you might be "pissed off" when it isn't "the best thing ever", but I still fail to see how that's the fault of the product and not the fault of the end-user.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Shisa Caesar wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:People who base expectations for a film mainly upon the advertising for said film always make me chuckle like crazy.

The film isn't the trailer(s) and no film has ever been their trailer.
So how do you pick what movie to see? Do you randomly turn up in the movie theater and throw a dart at a list of names then go on where it falls? You never try to find some basic information when you feel like watching certain type of movie?

How you do pick your entertainment if, apparently, you do not look at some basic info that is provided?
And some of that advertising were the actual director speaking. So, like, with your idea.... we cant even trust him? The point of all of that is to get people into theaters.
This is an incredibly easy question to answer. Watching trailers, hearing hype, listening to people attempt to interpret what they feel like their endeavor means to them, some dudes on an internet forum arguing minutiae based on blurry still-frames...yeah, all of that can give you an image of the film but it still isn't the film. The film is all that matters, not the advertisements and not whatever the crew says to build hype; in fact, most of that stuff is meant to instill an interest in finding out more by watching the actual film.

Which question are you answering? Cause i ask several and you dont seem to answer any.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Godnose wrote:
Then I don't know what to say to that. I certainly can't account for all the people who look at a label telling them this is "the best thing ever" and believe it without having experienced it. I suppose that if you fall for all that stuff then I can see why you might be "pissed off" when it isn't "the best thing ever", but I still fail to see how that's the fault of the product and not the fault of the end-user.
I wasn't pissed that it wasn't the best thing ever, I was upset that tone-wise, the film wasn't what the trailers promised, the same thing happened with me on iron man 3, I was pissed then too.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Godnose wrote:
It could be that in the case of G14 some people saw the trailers with the wrecked/damaged buildings in the daylight clip, for example, and thought they'd get to actually see the destruction happen in the film. Playing on expectations based on Toho films in which monsters are shown trashing buildings en masse.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainment ... al-testing

Marketing is more subtle and manipulative than literally telling people something is the best thing ever.
Last edited by Godnose on Sun May 25, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Connor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Connor »

I'm going to ask a question that may tick people off.

Would you have liked it better if Michael Bay directed it? ;)

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Shisa Caesar wrote: Which question are you answering? Cause i ask several and you dont seem to answer any.
Again, needing everything out-right stated and handed to you on a plate, huh?

Considering you were asking the same simple question over and over, I would've considered my response to be more than adequate to your "pick what you watch" query. Too subtle?

EDIT: And Godnose, you're just further backing up why you're being more than a bit foolish if you let the marketing dictate what you go into "art" expecting.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Connor wrote:I'm going to ask a question that may tick people off.

Fuck.No.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:

skreeonk.No.
Im pretty sure you would. Nothing but action seems more up your alley lol

Naaa just kidding. I get what your saying but to me and many others think this was the correct way of doing this movie.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

Connor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Connor »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:

skreeonk.No.
I wouldn't have, either. Personally, I really enjoyed the movie. I wasn't expecting wall-to-wall action or complex character development. I was expecting a solid, well-constructed kaiju thriller, and the film delivered.

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Shisa Caesar wrote: Which question are you answering? Cause i ask several and you dont seem to answer any.

Considering you were asking the same simple question over and over, I would've considered my response to be more than adequate to your "pick what you watch" query. Too subtle?

EDIT: And Godnose, you're just further backing up why you're being more than a bit foolish if you let the marketing dictate what you go into "art" expecting.
Personally I don't let marketing dictate what I expect when I actually watch the film. It's just a suggestion as to why some people hate this film. Hopefully anyone who does feel misled will learn and wise up.
Last edited by Godnose on Sun May 25, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Captain Aktion wrote:

Giving an answer does not mean you answered the question.
The basic question i asked was how do you pick which films you want to see and the closest you came to giving an answer was when you said, " I can watch the damn thing if I have any interest in it and make up my own mind." But this was surround in continued repeats of F the trailers.

So i ask again..... how do you pick which films to want to see? How, as you say, become interested in a movie if you ignore any and all info about it?

Im being foolish because i listen to what Gareth said about his own film?
Has anyone watched the new X-men movie? Is that movie about mutants being screwed up in the future because of the Sentinel robots so they decide to send Wolverine to the past to change the outcome of the present? Or is the movie really a romantic comedy about Beast and future Kitty Pride. How about Blended? Is blended a romantic comedy about two people who initially hate each other but then they get to know one another in that trip they take to Africa and their families end up blending? Or is it really a survival movie about a group of people on an African trip that goes wrong and animals end up slowly killing the two families?
Last edited by Shisa Caesar on Sun May 25, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TechnoForce
Monsterland Worker

Post by TechnoForce »

I dont think audiences needed to sit through two hours of human interest story just for 2 minutes of pretty unspectacular monster fighting. Also Godzilla's beam was just pathetic. That wasnt a beam. It looked like he had swallowed a giant flashlight and wanted to shine his enemies to death. I felt like I was watching a new American re boot of a James Bond movie but they decided to focus the story on all the other law enforcement agents that follow Bond around. The story was also pretty uninspired. The new monsters likewise pretty dull.

I didnt think Godzilla's roar was much good either he did look better though. And Brian Cranston was ok too so I guess that is something.
Arena victories
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Watch this space

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I'd be on the side of those bashing the film had Bay directed it. I watched a clip from Transformers 2 the other day and it was pretty hard to watch. Then again, I love Godzilla and thought the teasing was fine, so the question probably wasn't directed at me anyway. Thought I'd offer an answer nonetheless.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Shisa Caesar wrote:if you ignore any and all info about it?
*sigh* When exactly did I say ignore any and all info about a film?

Taking advertising at face value doesn't even begin to imply ignorance or rejection thereof. I'm sorry that you only work on a binary "A" or "B" principal but I think you'll find life has many intricate values that don't fit into either of your categories. How much clearer can I state, "Watch the trailers to build your case for seeing or not seeing a film all you want but the trailer is never going to be the film nor have any bearing on quality or lack of quality"...?

BTW, your cute little X-Men examples are complete logical fallacies. By your comparisons, did you think that Godzilla was going to be a slasher film? Did you think that Godzilla would NOT have a giant monster that may or may not fight another monster or two, perhaps from time to time in an urban environment and that there would be a human cast of marginal importance with which to hang all the exposition and immersion upon? Certainly not and there was no misleading information in any of the advertisements at all; none that I can see and I still haven't seen any convincing argument for why anybody thought this was going to be anything other than what it was...

...I mean, outside of people misinterpreting a bunch of things because their personal expectations were coloring that information a different shade than the actuality.

Are you saying that I'm the one who had misaligned preconceptions about the film? 'Cause it more than hit every note that I was expecting out of a film of this nature and then pleasantly surprised me with the elements I hadn't sussed out or heard of. I guess I was watching it wrong.
Last edited by Captain Aktion on Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score