Official "I'm baffled at the hate this movie gets" thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: Official "I'm baffled at the hate this movie gets" threa

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Because people see what they want to see. Seriously how many times did Edwards reiterate that this would be focused on the human element of the story.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Because people see what they want to see. Seriously how many times did Edwards reiterate that this would be focused on the human element of the story.
I was expecting a better human element.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote: I was expecting a better human element.
Fair enough, but if they did more with that there'd be even more people screaming about how it's "not a Godzilla movie" or whatever...I'm simply amazed at the leaps they were able to take while being confined to such a narrow, precarious tightrope.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Captain Aktion wrote:
GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote: I was expecting a better human element.
Fair enough, but if they did more with that there'd be even more people screaming about how it's "not a Godzilla movie" or whatever...I'm simply amazed at the leaps they were able to take while being confined to such a narrow, precarious tightrope.
By do more do you mean give them more screen time?

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Sure that's fair. But most peoples gripes are not enough godzilla. Not enough godzilla wahh wahh wahh someone get these guys some Binkys.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote: By do more do you mean give them more screen time?
Even if they were more the "heart" of the film or just had more going on within their scenes I think you'd still be hearing the same complaints about it not "focusing on Godzilla".

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Captain Aktion wrote:
GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote: By do more do you mean give them more screen time?
Even if they were more the "heart" of the film or just had more going on within their scenes I think you'd still be hearing the same complaints about it not "focusing on Godzilla".
If they had more going on with the characters it certainly would have made Godzilla's screentime not feel so little. When you're with bland human characters, it feels more like a chore to go back to them and makes the wait for Godzilla to reappear feel all the longer.

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Captain Aktion wrote: "Watch the trailers to build your case for seeing or not seeing a film all you want but the trailer is never going to be the film
When did this happen? Cause 99.99% of the trailers i've seen give you an impression of what you are going to see.
When was this tremendous switch where a majority of the trailers do not tell you what the movie will be like?
nor have any bearing on quality or lack of quality"...?
Quality is not part of this discussion.
BTW, your cute little X-Men examples are complete logical fallacies.

:shock:
It's a logical fallacy to point out trailer give you some setup about the film.
I never heard of this fallacy.
Man, how could i be so wrong about trailers. It feels like everyone that makes movies and promotes them has been playing a joke on me. Did everyone else know that trailer arent supposed to give you an idea what the film is going to be about? That when the actor and even the director himself answer questions they were straight up BS up and down all the time? This is like some X-file type of stuff.
By your comparisons, did you think that Godzilla was going to be a slasher film?
No. The monster is kinda big... even thought he did sneak around a lot for some reason...
Why would anyone think that?
Did you think that Godzilla would NOT have a giant monster that may or may not fight another monster or two, perhaps from time to time in an urban environment and that there would be a human cast of marginal importance with which to hang all the exposition and immersion upon?
From the info we got the idea was that the focus was going to be on Gojira when it wasnt.
From the info we got this movie was supposed to build more on the characters. I find it extremely strange that you are saying that now the humans are marginal.

Certainly not and there was no misleading information in any of the advertisements at all; none that I can see and I still haven't seen any convincing argument for why anybody thought this was going to be anything other than what it was...

...I mean, outside of people misinterpreting a bunch of things because their personal expectations were coloring that information a different shade than the actuality.
So if i start linking videos where they explain their version of the movie are you going to accept them or are you going to bs around the wording to prove your point?

Cause it's not like this is difficult to accomplish. Pretty much every interview easily shows this.
Are you saying that I'm the one who had misaligned preconceptions about the film? 'Cause it more than hit every note that I was expecting out of a film of this nature and then pleasantly surprised me with the elements I hadn't sussed out or heard of. I guess I was watching it wrong.
This is from box office mojo.

In second place, Godzilla plummeted 66 percent to $31.4 million. While that decline is a bit better than Cloverfield's 68 percent, it's still much worse than most comparable titles. Thanks to strong marketing, moviegoers rushed out last weekend; unfortunately, the movie they saw wasn't exactly what was advertised. Combine that weak word-of-mouth with tough competition from X-Men, and a steep drop was in order. The movie has now earned $148.8 million, and is on pace to finish between $205 and $225 million.

Some one here i think already linked another article stating the same.
The idea that this happened is not some out of left field argument to bash the movie. This is there as plain as day.

Captain Aktion wrote: Fair enough, but if they did more with that there'd be even more people screaming about how it's "not a Godzilla movie" or whatever...I'm simply amazed at the leaps they were able to take while being confined to such a narrow, precarious tightrope.
Given that this is a common complain for this film i dont think so.
There is barely and use of the character will all the time that they have. Which is a lot.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^You win. I like it, you don't.

Official "I'm baffled at the hate this movie gets" post.

EDIT: Fun to read you re-post me line for line, though.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Captain Aktion wrote:^You win. I like it, you don't.
That wasnt what was being discussed.

EDIT: Fun to read you re-post me line for line, though.
Yes. Thats the point of a forum, to enjoy discussion.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Shisa Caesar wrote:
But that's what we're going to keep circling around.

Regardless, I've said everything I need to say on the subject so I leave you to either objectively take it in or to willfully ignore; I don't really care which you do.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Shisa Caesar wrote:
But that's what we're going to keep circling around.
Incorrect again. I thought it was an average G film which means it has faults and, yes, that means i will discuss them. This whole board is about discussing both good and bad, right?

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^I find it intriguing that you would attempt to continue a pedantic argument of differences in personal experience even after the other party has expressed an interest in ending the meaningless attempts at convincing you that there's "more to it than you see".

You're right, forums are a place for a give-and-take conversation and I daresay you're doing it wrong. That's okay though, I have no further desire to hand-hold you through obvious explanations that you won't try to follow along with regardless of how I state them. Mark this down in your "win-column" and call it a day; that's what I'm doing.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Captain Aktion wrote:^I find it intriguing that you would attempt to continue a pedantic argument of differences in personal experience even after the other party has expressed an interest in ending the meaningless attempts at convincing you that there's "more to it than you see". [.quote]

Im not attempting to continue i am just clearing some stuff up in those last few posts
You appear to be having a different discussion than i was so i am pointing this out. Which i see i have to do again later on this post.
You're right, forums are a place for a give-and-take conversation and I daresay you're doing it wrong. That's okay though, I have no further desire to hand-hold you through obvious explanations that you won't try to follow along with regardless of how I state them. Mark this down in your "win-column" and call it a day; that's what I'm doing.
Again, this wasnt some win/loose thing.
And if this was to you....i think you are the one doing it wrong.
If you think this is done then let's be done. You think you won, k cool whatever, we will move on.
But if you post a reply i will answer it if i think i have something to say.
So let's get back on subject.

Skintight_Dreamer
Ronin

Post by Skintight_Dreamer »

Out of curiosity, why is Aaron Taylor Johnson getting so much flak?

Skintight_Dreamer
Ronin

Although the writing wasn't stellar, I don't think "not giving him a lot to work with" was a problem. In the case of someone like Watanabe's character I might be more inclined to agree, but it seems to me that Ford was written in a manner that fit his character. The performance was understated, which is fine, and the character was simple, which to me is also fine.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

^Agreed, I thought ATJ and Ford were fine.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

ATJ was kinda boring. He wasn't bad. I just didn't care for his character at all. I didn't care if he made it in the end.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Ford/ATJ was certainly no worse than the average lead in a kaiju eiga / Hollywood blockbuster. In fact, I'd say he was above average, as he played it refreshingly low key instead of cheesy or emo.

He got overshadowed by Brian Cranston, but he wasn't bad.

Skintight_Dreamer
Ronin

Then again, everyone got overshadowed by Bryan Cranston which is why it worked in the film's favor to kill him off. No doubt he put in the best performance, but I think Ford was interesting in how grounded the character felt, especially when compared to other summer blockbuster protagonists. He wasn't really an action hero, which was nice.