What Era do you consider this movie ?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: What Era do you consider this movie ?

Post by KaijuFiend »

^Agreed. Legendary Duology if only one sequel, Trilogy if only two sequels, Series if we get more than two sequels.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

it's a new era, but i dunno what to call it yet. depending on the number of potential sequels, and if Toho puts their workboots back on, i'd call it something other than legendary. maybe post millennium, or something to that effect, because i think we're moving toward a world where Godzilla has totally lost his initial metaphor (yes, it happened long ago, but he's still in the "force of nature/folly of man" boat), and it's going to be likely Toho's last run if they try anything. i'm feeling apocalyptic about it.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Simple, the Legendary era
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

The Legendary Era it is. All these names - Showa, Heisei, Millennium - started somewhere, and this one started right here in this thread, seeing how it's the first discussion of this topic we've had since the sequel was confirmed (which is obviously what sets the distinction between a one-off film like GINO or an "era").

This is a moment of G-history, is what I'm sayin. ;)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh i can't argue with the logic of tymon here, but the only reason i don't wanna label this the "legendary" era yet is because i assume that the success will earn us a few more Toho movies, and i'm going to count this movie, the sequel, and subsequent legendary/Godzilla productions together (including those that Toho might do) in this one era.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

SaferEmerald wrote:For now, I'm going to call it the "Legendary Era".
Works for me.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Shouldn't it have WB in it's name since WB controls the sequels?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

XxachiganxX
Samurai

Post by XxachiganxX »

Legendary Era sounds perfect!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

three wrote:meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh i can't argue with the logic of tymon here, but the only reason i don't wanna label this the "legendary" era yet is because i assume that the success will earn us a few more Toho movies, and i'm going to count this movie, the sequel, and subsequent legendary/Godzilla productions together (including those that Toho might do) in this one era.
Toho won't do any more Japanese Godzilla movies for a long time. If Legendary's Godzilla made them a ton of money without their efforts, why would they now go out of their way to make their own movies when they could just sit back and let America do all the work? Especially since a sequel is already confirmed.

Anyways, I won't call this an era until we actually get a good look at the sequel. The Legendary Era sounds like a good name, though.

SaferEmerald
Samurai

Post by SaferEmerald »

Underworld54 wrote:Shouldn't it have WB in it's name since WB controls the sequels?
Idk, the announcement of the sequel was done on Legendary's site, the Nerdist. I have a feeling the deal was more complicated than we were lead to believe because it sounds like they're staying onboard. Admittedly I might be wrong about that, but I really hope I'm not for a variety of reasons.

Plus "Warner era" doesn't have the same ring to it ;). Tull came up with a good name for a his company, and fitting of the Godzilla name.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Legendary era sounds good, but with only one confirmed movie (sequel isn't green-lit yet) I'm still putting this in the millennium era.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

20th Century Boy wrote:
three wrote:meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh i can't argue with the logic of tymon here, but the only reason i don't wanna label this the "legendary" era yet is because i assume that the success will earn us a few more Toho movies, and i'm going to count this movie, the sequel, and subsequent legendary/Godzilla productions together (including those that Toho might do) in this one era.
Toho won't do any more Japanese Godzilla movies for a long time. If Legendary's Godzilla made them a ton of money without their efforts, why would they now go out of their way to make their own movies when they could just sit back and let America do all the work? Especially since a sequel is already confirmed.

Anyways, I won't call this an era until we actually get a good look at the sequel. The Legendary Era sounds like a good name, though.
i'm sure they'll be in on it after the fact. i didn't mean to imply one might come out anytime soon, though. just sayin', i'm not totally sure they won't ever light up the studio again and give us some more Godzilla.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Legendary should make this into a trilogy.
Yooo 8-)