How big a problem is the lack of Bryan Cranston?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Re: How big a problem is the lack of Bryan Cranston?

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Killing off Joe Brody was a terrible move as a whole. As mostly everyone in this thread has already said, he was just about the best character in the film, with a personal connection to the conflict set up right from the beginning of the film. Furthermore, his Captain Ahab-esque obsession with avenging his wife is a more interesting and morally ambiguous motivation than ATJ being basically a hangers-on.

Not to mention Cranston's performance basically crapped all over Johnson's. Cranston's acting elevated every scene he was in, whereas ATJ often looked out of his league.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

ATJ is a great actor, the problem is that unlike Cranston and other actors, he didn't give a crap about anything in this movie.
Yooo 8-)

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

JGAR wrote:ATJ is a great actor, the problem is that unlike Cranston and other actors, he didn't give a crap about anything in this movie.
Which kind of makes me just want more Cranston and not like ATJ.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

EdGojira wrote:
JGAR wrote:ATJ is a great actor, the problem is that unlike Cranston and other actors, he didn't give a crap about anything in this movie.
Which kind of makes me just want more Cranston and not like ATJ.
I think they should have gotten with Henry Cavill or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who were on the casting list for Ford.
Yooo 8-)

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Cavill>>>ATJ
Yooo 8-)

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Godzilla The King wrote:Wait, since when does Henry Cavill suck? I find him a pretty good actor.
since man of steel

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Godzilla The King wrote:Wait, since when does Henry Cavill suck? I find him a pretty good actor.
I can't say. I've only seen him be bland in Man of Steel.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

SonofX51
Yojimbo

Post by SonofX51 »

I like how the thread title is a play on the other thread, now I'm just imagining a giant Bryan Cranston fighting Godzilla at sea. Needless to say, best movie ever.
"I now walk in the shadows between worlds...and it is there I have finally glimpsed upon what lives in the dark corners of the earth..." -Call of Cthulhu DCOTE.

XBL: HaioFighter92 Steam: HaloFighter92 3DS/Wii code: PM me

DarthZilla
Samurai

Post by DarthZilla »

Cranston made up for the short-time in the movie by going all out in the time he was there.
Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly?

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
At least he showed emotion when he killed Zod and saw J. Kent die. When Joe died, ATJ didn'tdo nothing.
Yooo 8-)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

f*cking huge, that's how big of a problem it is.

it was that one nagging issue i left the theater with. it cannot be remedied. i can only deal with it. his lack of presence in the movie alone drops it one full star from my own personal rating of the movie. it's pretty crazy, when you think about it, but he was so important to the beginning of the film and clearly was putting on a performance for the ages, yet boom. done. half an hour in and gone. it sucked.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

SaferEmerald
Samurai

Post by SaferEmerald »

JGAR wrote:
GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
At least he showed emotion when he killed Zod and saw J. Kent die. When Joe died, ATJ didn'tdo nothing.
I don't understand this complaint. We actually see him start to cry and starts rubbing his hands all over his head almost like he's having a panic attack. Then it quickly goes to the next scene.

They just didn't linger on him.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

It was a big problem. Every person I have spoke to has complained about this. It just baffles me that you acquire a treasure like Cranston for a Godzilla movie and you bury him in the first 30 minutes. Oh well.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I don't understand this complaint. We actually see him start to cry and starts rubbing his hands all over his head almost like he's having a panic attack. Then it quickly goes to the next scene.

Then that's the editing's problem. They should have shown Ford cry for his dad and maybe then because of that, audiences could have gotten behind Ford easily for the rest of the film.
Yooo 8-)

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Godzilla21 wrote:It was a big problem. Every person I have spoke to has complained about this. It just baffles me that you acquire a treasure like Cranston for a Godzilla movie and you bury him in the first 30 minutes. Oh well.
The thing is, as much as I would have loved to see more of Joe Brody, they didn't get Cranston and kill Joe off. They killed Joe off and got Cranston.

Like I said, I think they could have done much more with the character (especially given the actor they had playing him), but I rather them not ham-fisted him in more if they didn't think it would work. I can disagree with their choice in that I feel it could have been done, but I can respect it.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:It was a big problem. Every person I have spoke to has complained about this. It just baffles me that you acquire a treasure like Cranston for a Godzilla movie and you bury him in the first 30 minutes. Oh well.
The thing is, as much as I would have loved to see more of Joe Brody, they didn't get Cranston and kill Joe off. They killed Joe off and got Cranston.

Like I said, I think they could have done much more with the character (especially given the actor they had playing him), but I rather them not ham-fisted him in more if they didn't think it would work. I can disagree with their choice in that I feel it could have been done, but I can respect it.
The thing is you dont have to ham fist him in. There were other ways to keep him in the film without killing him off. I just feel it was a wasted opportunity.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I agree, that's actually what I said.

The point of my post was that it's tiresome when people keep saying, "They hired a big name like Cranston just to kill him," when the simple truth is the opposite is what happened. They wrote Joe to be killed and then hired Cranston for the role. I, too, feel that they could have, relatively, easily kept him in longer; but that's not what I was getting at.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Rodan wrote:Now, I don't mind being teased, but this was just too much. From what we saw in the trailers, we were going to get a lot of Cranston. I mean, this was his first big movie in years. We were all waiting to see him back on the big screen.

I get what they were trying to do with building suspense, but was it too much? Cutting away from Cranston to Aaron-Taylor Johnson after the prologue was a big let-down. It's like, "Come on! I wanted to see what he was doing!" The next half hour more than makes up for it, but then we cut right back to Johnson again! I think a little bit of teasing is fine, but I didn't need them to switch over to Johnson for the rest of the film. Cranston shows up and it's like, "Oh! Something's happening!," but you just can't get into it when it keeps switching back to the weak human characters.

What are your thoughts? Personally I hope this is something Edwards changes in the sequel.
It was a big problem for me. The teasers made you think he was the main character. ATJ lacked everything that Cranston brought.
I share the same feelings. It would have been much better if the advertisements didn't sell Cranston as a main character.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Saw the movie and, yeah, it is a pretty big problem. I cannot go into detail because of the device I am using.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

JGAR wrote:

Then that's the editing's problem. They should have shown Ford cry for his dad and maybe the which could have brought of tension and seriousness of the situation because of that, audiences could have gotten behind Ford easily for the rest of the film.
I think the that is actually the film's biggest problem is the editing I mean look at some of the scenes the filmed in the behind the scenes specials or cutting out where Ford meets Elle and Sam at the airport and actually cutting the Halo jump speech which could have brought the seriousness of the situation. I thing more have been better if they just let the story flow out instead of cutting scenes that could brought backstorys and therefore improve the film instead of cutting it to meet a certain time. I hope that Director's Cut show what this film was meant to be and on another note anyone who was mislead into thinking that Cranston would be the main character I would to point out that when the story details first came out is said it would revolve around a soldier so I don't know how anybody could have been mislead into thinking that he would be the main character unless you just started movie within the last couple of weeks or if you haven't researched the movie that all like the general audience so I can understand that. Now I'll admit I expected him to have a bigger role than what he had but I always known that Ford would be the main character since they are established that last year.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012