So What Do You Think Happened in 1954? (Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
three
Keizer

So What Do You Think Happened in 1954? (Spoilers)

Post by three »

Alright, I've read around the forum that Godzilla may or may not have been "knocked out" after being hit by the misidentified bomb in 1954, but then again Monarch searching for him and his unscathed survival implies that it did nothing but drive him off. What theories do you all have?

Personally, I am of the persuasion that like many incarnations of Godzilla, this one simply left the area and went dormant rather than being knocked totally out by the nuke, especially since (in Swerizawa's words) he's been missing since that time rather than laying where he was hit.

Discuss.

SPECIAL NOTE: address what bomb in real life might have been used in this thread: since it's not known exactly which bomb was used (Castle Bravo or some other mega/kiloton weapon) thanks to a real life/in film conflict, discuss it here.

EDIT: Yea, since Jomei changed the title to "after the ending" alot of people have come here completely confused. The event being referenced is THE BOMBING OF GODZILLA IN 1954, which is known as a "test" (or many tests). The question is what do you think happened: was Godzilla down and out after the Castle Bravo bomb, or did he continue to go about his business but deeper below the waves of the ocean?
Last edited by three on Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: So What Do You Think Happened in 1954? (Spoilers)

Post by Vatarian »

The nuke used was the nuke used in real-life. Shit-for-brains was just confused.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Jomei wrote:Modified thread title. Guys, be especially careful about spoilers in thread titles. Yes, probably most of us have seen it at least once, but there may be some people lurking who haven't, so let's stick to the protocol for a little while longer.

My error. Apologies.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

blaze
Samurai

Post by blaze »

In the Godzilla Awakening comic some military dude says this to Serizawa senior:
As I was saying, Bikini Atoll is our best intercept point. We are already in place for the Castle Bravo test.
Castle Bravo was also the test that caused the Lucky Dragon incident which as I'm sure most of you know, also served as inspiration for the original Gojira movie.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Gawdziller wrote:I'll just say in 1954...they "awakened something..."

well, to amend that statement, after they awakened something they tried to put it back to bed.

the question posed in the title, in the first post, AND numerous times after is did we actually put down Godzilla with the Castle Bravo bomb or not?

please someone notice that this is the question. please.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

they did and this is a different Godzilla

three
Keizer

Post by three »

junkerde wrote:they did and this is a different Godzilla

FINALLY THANK GOODNESS.

how do you figure?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^ ah, an excellent analysis. this makes the waters murkier than before, i'm afraid. :|

still, we do not have a consensus on whether or not the bombing test knocked Godzilla out cold. also: could a nuke even kill him?

InugamiGuru
Samurai

Post by InugamiGuru »

I honestly think if anything the 1954 nuke might've knocked him for a loop & pushed him away but highly doubt it would knock him out. SO I'd say after being pushed around by it he absorbed the radiation then just back down to nap again. Or maybe it charred his skin so he went down to heal & recover from that?
A kings' return is never silent.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

InugamiGuru wrote:I honestly think if anything the 1954 nuke might've knocked him for a loop & pushed him away but highly doubt it would knock him out. SO I'd say after being pushed around by it he absorbed the radiation then just back down to nap again. Or maybe it charred his skin so he went down to heal & recover from that?

quite possibly. see, what's telling to me is that monarch went on an easter egg hunt of sorts for his corpse because he was completely lost (it isn't said how soon, but it's implied that they bombed him and poof! he was gone). when they found the MUTO, they did so because of a spike in radiation and the mine collapse which revealed a Godzilla skeleton, to which (if you remember well) Swerizawa's buddy asked "is this him", and Serizawa said "no. this one died long ago".

because of this huge bit of missing time, i'm not inclined to believe Godzilla was even remotely harmed by the blast. from what i know about knocked out people, they fall where they are and stay there. Godzilla would be hard to lose track of, so he wasn't phased by the nuke. i think, personally, he gobbled that radiation up and made a b - line to the depths of the ocean to rest. that is his MO in earlier films in the series, so i wouldn't be surprised.

InugamiGuru
Samurai

Post by InugamiGuru »

True, very true. ing the novel might shed some more light on what happened. If it does I'll be sure to let you guys know.
A kings' return is never silent.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Doesn't the prequel comic state directly that it was Castle Bravo that hit Godzilla?

Even if it didn't the confusion is made worse by the fact thatthe missile used to lure the M.U.T.O.s and Godzilla is a Minuteman ICBM, these are equipped with a warhead that is only capable of a 475 kiloton blast. Maybe the Captain just wasn't well versed in nuclear weapons and assumed more modern equals more powerful, after all the Minuteman missile is an Air Force baby, and he's in the Navy.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

I don't remember seeing the Baker shot. I just remember him rising up and then we see a computer generated blast, not actual test footage.

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

when i first saw the title of this thread i thought you were talking about the original movie.. it is interesting to note that there was no recognition of the original movie with the exception of using the name Serezawa, who in the original movie created the oxygen destroyer that actually killed the first G. and even though they gave the same name to ken watabee's character there are no other similarities. :(

three
Keizer

Post by three »

you're 100% correct, however there appeared to be another set of footage in use. i remember one of a man and sheep being plowed away by nuclear shockwaves (he may have been a dummy and the sheep fake).

for those wondering, here's castle bravo (skip to 2:02 to see the explosion):

http://youtu.be/yjiWBkiBZQU

EvilJ2k13
Ronin

Post by EvilJ2k13 »

I must of have seen A different movie because the skeleton in the mine is not another Godzilla. Seeing how it has A lot of ribs and A very LOOOOOONG back bone of just nothing but ribs.

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

EvilJ2k13 wrote:I must of have seen A different movie because the skeleton in the mine is not another Godzilla. Seeing how it has A lot of ribs and A very LOOOOOONG back bone of just nothing but ribs.
Serizawa said something more like "No, this is something much older"
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.

Mr. Roboto
Ronin

Post by Mr. Roboto »

EvilJ2k13 wrote:I must of have seen A different movie because the skeleton in the mine is not another Godzilla. Seeing how it has A lot of ribs and A very LOOOOOONG back bone of just nothing but ribs.
Actually the first paragraphs of the novel open explaining that it was a Godzilla species but much older. In the book (the official author of it posted the first opening act over at 'TrekBBS' forum) it reveals the creature died on it's backside and the ceiling of the cavern was actually the dead Godzilla's sternum. So in essence, the dorsal plates that Godzilla is noted for was embeded in the ground underneath Wantanabe's character. In the movie we just never see the magnitude of the chest cavity that the scientist are standing in.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I really don't think Godzilla was killed by the Castle Bravo nuke. Didn't they explicitly state in the film that the bones where fossilized? I honestly think that the nuke merely deterred him, and that the Godzilla in the film is the 54 one.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Just got back from a second viewing, there was footage from a few different tests in the intro that went by pretty quick.

As far as the fossilized remains, they looked far too long and narrow to be a Godzilla species. In my opinion they look like a large snake - like creature.