Should Godzilla be made stronger for a sequel? (Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Re: Should Godzilla be made stronger for a sequel? (Spoilers

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Unit~NoA wrote:We're saying he was simply out of energy.
Ah okay.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Godzilla seemed sort of ageless to me. He was, of course, ancient, but he displayed no signs of infirmity, failing senses, etc.

Could it be that because he's from such an early time, he doesn't have a set life-span like modern creatures and will, for all intents and purposes, live forever unless he's killed by an outside force?

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

I would like to see him depicted as being a tad more aggressive certainly and have him engage in some city destruction of his own. I would also like to see him come into conflict with the military, more than he did and take out a few fighter planes, tank units and warships etc.
The original trailer did virtually label him as 'Death, the Destroyer of Worlds' after all and Gareth himself said that Godzilla was 'The punishment we deserve.'

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Living Corpse wrote:
EDIT: Oh shut up, you act like this is new. He got his ass whooped by two monsters. Like in Terror of Mechagodzilla. And needed help from humans. Like in Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
In Terror he was fighting two mind controlled monsters, one who was an anti-gojira weapon, in vs KG he was also fighting a mind controlled opponent. Needless to say, they were not acting like they would normally do.

And in Hedorah we dont really know if he needed help, he was loosing but he got up again and again. And, in fact, he was the one that took the initiative to use the human's weapon so he didnt need the help he just took the advantage available.

In this film two standard monsters just punched the crap out of him and if it wasnt for Brody he looks to be done for.

1tisoygoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by 1tisoygoji »

Shisa Caesar wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
EDIT: Oh shut up, you act like this is new. He got his ass whooped by two monsters. Like in Terror of Mechagodzilla. And needed help from humans. Like in Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
In Terror he was fighting two mind controlled monsters, one who was an anti-gojira weapon, in vs KG he was also fighting a mind controlled opponent. Needless to say, they were not acting like they would normally do.

And in Hedorah we dont really know if he needed help, he was loosing but he got up again and again. And, in fact, he was the one that took the initiative to use the human's weapon so he didnt need the help he just took the advantage available.

In this film two standard monsters just punched the crap out of him and if it wasnt for Brody he looks to be done for.
Honestly, he could have killed both of them one at a time. Had he killed the male Muto first at the airport and the female one later on. He seemed to be in trouble, but still.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Yes, the japanese called him a fat ass and what does godzilla do during and after the fights he breathes heavily snorts like a fat ass then at the end he collapses seemingly from exhaustion from his fatness......(Sarcasm)

....But yeah, a bit more resilient and more stamina.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Everyone likes to throw out Godzilla getting beat up by the Mutos makes him look weak but this Godzilla was tanking nukes. The fact the Mutos could hurt him shows how dangerous they actually are. If it was any other Godzilla expect maybe FW and GMK Godzilla most likely would have lost.

As for being stronger I think he was shown to have a fine level of power. Godzilla before had near infinite stamina and explosive beams because it was grounded. Godzilla like a real living creature is now going to get tired from fighting long periods of time and the breath is a lot more life like.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It's a giant 355 ft relic that has lived for centuries breathes nuclear fire, tanks nukes, and military bombardment, I think giving him more stamina would not make it feel less "real life animal" vibe to it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote:It's a giant 355 ft relic that has lived for centuries breathes nuclear fire, tanks nukes, and military bombardment, I think giving him more stamina would not make it feel less "real life animal" vibe to it.
Godzilla had swam for milers so of that at top speed and then fought two rival monsters and used his ray three times, his level of stamina while I wouldn't mind an increase was reasonable for what he did.

TOHO Godzilla just had near infinite levels of stamina.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

I think a good excuse to bring him back in a seemingly antagonistic role would be him seeking nourishment due to the large amount of energy expended in this film. Perhaps after a few years, the natural radiation where he lives isn't recharging him quick enough. To show his enormous appetite, even compared to the MUTOs, Godzilla attack a nuclear reactor. Whereas the male MUTO took 15 years for him to suck 3 reactors dry and grow to his adult form, the starving Godzilla takes mere minutes to devour the same amount of radiation. Supercharged, Godzilla can now unleash a devastating new attack - his nuclear pulse. I'd like it to look slightly like the male MUTOs EMP but with destructive properties, more like a nuclear explosions shockwave. Imagine him unleashing one in the middle of a city under heavy military fire. Unable to catch the jets and unwilling to take the time to destroy every single piece of military hardware in the area, his body instinctively unleashed one to rid him of these pests and inadvertently levels the city. Not totally his fault as the military were attacking him unprovoked and he eliminated the pests (I say pests because we are certainly not a threat.) Would induce goosebumps I think ;)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If they want another original monster I think MUTOZilla could be what finally pushes Godzilla over the edge. That or Biollante.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

miguelnuva wrote:Everyone likes to throw out Godzilla getting beat up by the Mutos makes him look weak but this Godzilla was tanking nukes. The fact the Mutos could hurt him shows how dangerous they actually are. If it was any other Godzilla expect maybe FW and GMK Godzilla most likely would have lost.

As for being stronger I think he was shown to have a fine level of power. Godzilla before had near infinite stamina and explosive beams because it was grounded. Godzilla like a real living creature is now going to get tired from fighting long periods of time and the breath is a lot more life like.
Don't forget burning goji! I think that could be one way to go for the next film actually. He starts going for sub's again, maybe powerplants, and so military forces start trying to deal with him again. He could end up absorbing so much modern nuclear materials, possibly even getting nuked with a modern warhead, that he finally gets pissed and starts rampaging. Mothra could awaken to stop his rampage and send him back to the ocean or try to kill him. Going into a 3rd film he could go into meltdown from all the radiation he absorbed.

I think he was simply tired. He woke up again and started chasing MUTOs that had likely been strengthened by man made nuclear materials and ended up facing both at once. He took quite a pounding and was stabbed/impaled a fair bit. He spammed his beam against a tough radiation absorbing enemy, and had a skyscraper fall on him. Age had nothing to do with it. Don't forget he is a giant reptile. He is simply much more realistic in this incarnation than the older TOHO iterations.
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.

the24fan
Yojimbo

Post by the24fan »

Vatarian wrote:Are you guys forgetting the fact that while fighting him, the Mutos were also feeding off him? These things eat nuclear radiation. Godzilla runs on it. Do the math. He's gonna be pretty wiped after the prolonged exposure. Especially since most of that time was spent blasting, slashing, and smashing them to pieces.

You can infer that he wouldn't be nearly so drained if he were fighting something that wasn't literally sapping his life-force.

Hey Vatarian...That was a great post. Completely forgot about/didnt think of that angle. Dang good catch.
That makes total sense

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

miguelnuva wrote:If they want another original monster I think MUTOZilla could be what finally pushes Godzilla over the edge. That or Biollante.
MUTOzilla?

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

M.U.T.O. is an acronym, not a species. Technically Godzilla is a M.U.T.O.
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuKingGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:If they want another original monster I think MUTOZilla could be what finally pushes Godzilla over the edge. That or Biollante.
MUTOzilla?
Basically man combines Godzilla's DNA with some from the male and female. This beats gets loose Godzilla destroys but seeing where the abomination comes from Godzilla decideds man is his enemy.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

I actually think for the next movie, Biollante or something very much like her could easily be implemented. Imagine the opening credits showing what happens in the wake of San Fransisco. You could see people not being let back in, scientists finding pockets if radiation, recovering and experimenting on the MUTO remains, finding blood from Godzilla and collecting samples. Over the top of all this, you could hear scientists and the like debating the existence of Godzilla and what he means. Some would argue to simply let him be as it was apparent he wasn't interested in us, others argue about the danger of something like him existing (Serizawa would talk about his role and not to interfere.) you could also see snippets of researchers finding fossilized remains of an ancient plant life, much like a weed but on a much larger scale and some type of top secret government branch experimenting, perhaps combining the DNA of MUTO, Godzilla and this ancient plant. I'd imagine this "Biollante" would be much more destructive and spread quickly, creating it's own environment throughout the film and quickly taking over our domain. At the centre of all this would be the main body of the plant, an updated form of Biollantes second form from the 1989 movie that has much more likeness to Godzilla. Could set up a nice conflict I believe. Then, as I stated earlier, Godzilla comes back but this time seeks nourishment which puts him into conflict with man as we have the best food sources for him. Just a thought but if done correctly, just might work IMO.

EDIT- you could also have a mid movie fight where Godzilla is overwhelmed and drained of his radiation by the plant/monster to nourish itself and accelerate it's growth. Godzilla survives but would he starving which could lead to him needing radiation. His hunt for food would result in a scene of him rampaging a city to get to a power plant (military getting annihilated scene.) He feasts on an enormous amount of radiation and bang - supercharged Godzilla ready to take on a fully matured Biollante ;) After plowing through Biollantes defenses with tooth and claw plus his nuclear breath, he comes face to face with the creature itself. After a brutal fight, Godzilla let's himself become entangled in the creatures vines/arms and it goes to devour him, or hhis top half anyway. BOOM, nuclear pulse with obliterates the creature and this new ecosystem created by it dies as well. Classic Godzilla - DO NOT try to eat him :D

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I personally think he was fine power-wise in this movie. An early theory I have is that the main enemy monster in the sequel may be a little more physically threatening for a different type of enemy. So there's a chance he could just look more impressive by the end of that fight.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Empress Jingû
Samurai

Post by Empress Jingû »

I do hope there is a bit more of him, in the next one. And maybe a classic foe... Yeah..

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Post by Karmataurus »

Definitely. He really got pummeled, even when in 1v1. I didn't mind too much, but I do understand when people complain about it. A more even fight, without one clear victor throughout would be neat. :muto: