Ask Max Borenstein a question!

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Ask Max Borenstein a question!

Post by LegendZilla »

If it's not to late, can any of you let me know of any less buzzkill ways to execute my questions?

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

How come the Female MUTO was pregnant before the Male MUTO arrived on the mainland?
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Whose call was it to make Godzilla more of a hero than an antagonist?

Bonus question: Why is this movie so good?

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

My question is how did no one realize there was a huge hole in the mountain before they checked the inside? -_-

But seriously what was your reaction to being able to write Godzilla?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

To what extent did the story change from the original treatment to the final product? Could you give an example of an element or idea from earlier on in the writing process that was significantly altered by the final draft?

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

I'd ask something about the sequel...

"At what point did you know this movie was successful enough that you felt confident in green lighting a sequel?"

So far only one new outlet has actually confirmed the sequel - the others are reporting based on that if I'm not mistaken.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Why did you guys choose to make Godzilla an anti-Hero and closer to Gamera than the angel of Death presented in Gojira, GMK and even your own trailers? Not that I minded, I love the anti-hero version too. Just curious. Was it a requirement from Toho? Or was it a decision taken by Legendary pictures because a good Godzilla was more viable for business? But then why hint that he was the harbinger of death in the trailer?

And have you seen Gamera: Revenge of Iris? The new Godzilla movie felt a lot like it (in a good way, mind you), even down to the death bones at the intro of one of his species.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

NSZ wrote:Was there anything that got cut out of the final film that you really wish was left in?
Pkmatrix wrote:To what extent did the story change from the original treatment to the final product? Could you give an example of an element or idea from earlier on in the writing process that was significantly altered by the final draft?
TheSecondComing wrote:
NSZ wrote:Was there anything that got cut out of the final film that you really wish was left in?

As an add-on to this, I'm curious about any major revisions that the other writers (Frank Darabont etc.) brought into Borenstein's story. As much as I love the movie, it seems to have it's most interesting ideas downplayed just a little and I think that can be attributed to the old "too many chefs in the kitchen" cliche in revising the script.

I think a legitimate case should be made to include some sort of writing process and excised material question. Like can we look forward to seeing any of these altered or excised screenplays making it into the dvd/bluray release. If there's enough accumulated material to make an "extended version" for example and/or a commentary on why x was removed in favor of y, etc. in the final screenplay.

jrcrunch
Yojimbo

Post by jrcrunch »

Spoiler:
why kill joe brody? you should have killed his boring son!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Will you be listening to the complaints about the first film and try to hopefully fix them in the sequel?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Post by GCrusher »

Did the interview take place, or has it been delayed?
What was the result?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GCrusher wrote:Did the interview take place, or has it been delayed?
What was the result?
He did the interview already, we have to wait until it's published.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

ScootaVaran wrote:What characters will be returning for the sequel?
Would love to see Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins reprising their roles.
God I hope so. They and the Admiral would be perfect as the central human characters of the series, even if they aren't the central humans in any one film in it.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)