Movie flubs (spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Re: Movie flubs (spoilers)

Post by Desghidorah »

Considering the jam we saw on the Gate Bridge (typical movie SF police department handling...), it's likely the bay Bridge had similar jams. Between traffic and the half destroyed streets, its quite possible that bicycles would have been hard to manage

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Spoilers

What did the MUTOS do with their EMPS in prehistoric times? There was no electricity back then.
Yooo 8-)

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

JGAR wrote:Spoilers

What did the MUTOS do with their EMPS in prehistoric times? There was no electricity back then.

Maybe they used it for long range communication. Sound waves can't travel tooo too far, so maybe the male used the EMP to 'talk' to the female across the Pacific?

Empress Jingû
Samurai

Post by Empress Jingû »

mattdoc66 wrote:On the scene where he is in the helicopter the medic announces Bryan cranston is going into " a-fib"....atrial fibrillation.. and to give him epinephrine and vasopressin...that is in fact the treatment for ventricular fibrillation... if you give that to someone with a-fib, it will kill them!!! nice job, medics.....
I missed that completely, and I was a medic for over 15 years.

Lol

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

It could have been a hunting technique to disorientate other prehistoric MUTO-potential creatures? We have these 2 guys and Godzilla, surely there's more out there that they could hunt. Or even a defensive technique for other predators that weren't Godzilla.

Haloroach
Monarch Researcher

Post by Haloroach »

A) Communication is a definite probability.

B) On the other hand it might just be a side effect.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Like the others said, it was probably just a side effect. It caused a shockwave when it slammed its foreleg against the ground, so it may have been used as an AoE type of attack.

I realized something: If Serizawa's father died in 1945, that would make him 69 at the point of the movie (at the very least). He doesn't look that old.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

^Pretty sure he said grandfather, not father.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

GojiFan wrote:^Pretty sure he said grandfather, not father.
I think he did say it was his fathers.

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

KJ Corp wrote:
GojiFan wrote:^Pretty sure he said grandfather, not father.
I think he did say it was his fathers.
He did say father. It really should have been "grandfather" though. Watanabe is a young-looking 50 year old. Not nearly old enough to have been alive in 1945. The script editor should have caught that.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

ebirah_scampi wrote:The Navy captain said the warhead in the minute man missile was more powerful than the one that hit Godzilla in 1954, to use his words, "dial-a-yield, we're talking megatons not kilotons." In reality though most of our tests in 1954 were large thermonuclear tests that measured in megatons, in fact the biggest bomb ever set off by the United States was the Castle Bravo test that year which was a 15 megaton explosion. The minuteman missile today uses a warhead with only a 475 kiloton yield, not one 30th as powerful as Castle Bravo.

Unless the military purposely used a small tactical device on Godzilla in 54 the modern bomb would be a love tap compared to his last bomb.
thank you for pointing this out.

was pretty much the only plot thread in the film that made me go "wait what?"
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Showa Gyaos wrote: Like the others said, it was probably just a side effect. It caused a shockwave when it slammed its foreleg against the ground, so it may have been used as an AoE type of attack.
Guy-Battra was actively using his so he knew what he was able to do.
I realized something: If Serizawa's father died in 1945, that would make him 69 at the point of the movie (at the very least). He doesn't look that old.
The father probably didnt die, he probably came back to a wrecked home and picked up the watch. Or just happened to survive because people did actually survive that.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Shisa Caesar wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote: Like the others said, it was probably just a side effect. It caused a shockwave when it slammed its foreleg against the ground, so it may have been used as an AoE type of attack.
Hey, if you found out your farts were effective against an enemy, you'd do your darnedest to use it to your advantage!

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
Shisa Caesar wrote:
Hey, if you found out your farts were effective against an enemy, you'd do your darnedest to use it to your advantage!
Who farts from their hands? :shock:
Even insects butts are located at the back.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Shisa Caesar wrote: Who farts from their hands? :shock:
Even insects butts are located at the back.
But I f... erm, I mean... uh... I was just giving an example of sorts...

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

Here's another one I had to double-check on Wikipedia...

Serizawa mentions that the first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus, was first responsible for getting Godzilla's attention by cruising around the deep parts of the ocean with its nuclear reactor.

However, even though the Nautilus was officially launched at the Thames River in 1954, it stayed at dock for additional construction and tests and didn't go out to sea until January of 1955. So Godzilla was obviously up and about and getting nuked by H-bombs well before the Nautilus started poking around his territory.

After seeing the movie three times now, I'm still confused about exactly what it was that first brought Godzilla out of deep hibernation and lured him to the surface. Was it the WWII atomic bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki? Was it the atomic testing of the late '40s-early '50s prior to the bombs that were supposed to kill Godzilla? Was it the USS Nautilus like Serizawa said?

I can't tell if this is purposefully being kept vague in the script to keep a sense of mystery, if it's just a case of poor research, or if it's a result of the script passing through the hands of several writers and getting muddled in the process.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

The Awakening graphic novel "explains" a lot of this. And by "explains," I mean it confuses the issue even more. Serizawa's father survived Hiroshima...but Serizawa himself was alive at the time, which would make him north of 70 years old in the movie. Godzilla appears in the aftermath of Hiroshima and is repeatedly sighted by people in Russia, Australia, and various Pacific Islands...but no one believes he exists. The USS Nautilus goes to look for Godzilla in the Marianas Trench and technically finds him...but never actually sees him, and leaves thinking that Godzilla is still a myth. Then Godzilla gets nuked by what is explicitly the Castle Bravo test...a test which is far larger than any of the "dialable yields" that Minuteman ICBMs are capable of, making the "makes '54 look like a firecracker" comment invalid. The whole backstory is a mess that falls apart if you look at it funny.
In my opinion, of course.

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

HannibalBarca wrote:The Awakening graphic novel "explains" a lot of this. And by "explains," I mean it confuses the issue even more....
The whole backstory is a mess that falls apart if you look at it funny.
I've read "Awakening", and you're totally right. In fact, it's so contradictory to the movie and has so many careless mistakes in it (the USS Nautilus looks nothing like it's supposed to, there are sailboats on the ocean in the flashback titled "250 million years ago", the bad math regarding Serizawa's age, the presence of the "Shinomura" monster at the Castle Bravo detonation, etc) that I've chosen to ignore it completely with regard to what happens in the movie.

DarthZilla
Samurai

Post by DarthZilla »

Just to quell all the EMP issues...

The "P" in EMP stands for "Pulse"...that pulse is what knocks out electronics and such.
The creatures do not emit an permanent electromagnetic field...at least that's how it seemed in the movie.

The reason they had to HALO jump into the city was not because there was an existing field that would knock out the planes, but rather that the bubble they showed was the known range of the pulse, and they would not know when the MUTOs might emit the pulse.
Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly?

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Tokage wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:The Awakening graphic novel "explains" a lot of this. And by "explains," I mean it confuses the issue even more....
The whole backstory is a mess that falls apart if you look at it funny.
I've read "Awakening", and you're totally right. In fact, it's so contradictory to the movie and has so many careless mistakes in it (the USS Nautilus looks nothing like it's supposed to, there are sailboats on the ocean in the flashback titled "250 million years ago", the bad math regarding Serizawa's age, the presence of the "Shinomura" monster at the Castle Bravo detonation, etc) that I've chosen to ignore it completely with regard to what happens in the movie.
Yeah, I've basically taken to pretending Awakening doesn't exist as well. It's not even redeemed by quality art or an interesting story, sadly. The movie's backstory still has problems even without Awakening, though, but the graphic novel only makes those problems much, much worse.
In my opinion, of course.