Movie flubs (spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Re: Movie flubs (spoilers)

Post by Tokage »

HannibalBarca wrote:
Yeah, I've basically taken to pretending Awakening doesn't exist as well. It's not even redeemed by quality art or an interesting story, sadly. The movie's backstory still has problems even without Awakening, though, but the graphic novel only makes those problems much, much worse.
Since the movie definitely establishes that the 1954 Bikini Atoll H-bomb tests (including Castle Bravo, presumably) were intended to kill an already-awake, existing Godzilla, I've decided to accept the notion that Godzilla was drawn out of hibernation to the surface by either the 1945 atomic bombings of Japan or one of the later Pacific tests during the late '40s or early 1950s. The Nautilus theory doesn't work chronologically, so perhaps Serizawa was merely stating that the nuclear submarine was one of the things the US did in the 1950s that got Godzilla's attention.

I still think it's unfortunate that the Castle Bravo test is made to be a Godzilla-killing mission in the movie, since in real life that was the test that irradiated the Lucky Dragon no. 5 and started the whole Godzilla mythology to begin with. It's more meaningful as a random nuclear test that had horrific results.