Godzilla's relationship to humans (Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla's relationship to humans (Spoilers)

Post by Beef Bigshot »

So what do you think? Is godzilla to docile towards humans in the new movie. From the scenes like when he was casually swimming next to a fleet of ships, or when he casually ignores the tanks and ships firing at him.

Your opinions?
Resized Image

three
Keizer

Re: I Godzilla to Docile?

Post by three »

i just found him extremely apathetic. we didn't represent a threat or a food source. he tailed the MUTO across oceans and continents, which is in his nature (apparently). there were some moments, such as parker staring him down after defeating the male MUTO, but other than that he had no real issue with mankind and only wanted his two enemies dead and gone so he could rest easy.

to call him docile after killing thousands and laying out two cities is ridiculous, IMHO.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

InugamiGuru
Samurai

Post by InugamiGuru »

Finally was the movie. I'd have to say it just seemed like we weren't worth the time or energy to him.
A kings' return is never silent.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I wouldn't say he was docile it was just that he was very focused on killing the mutos. With the female being pregnant and her offspring about to be born godzilla didn't have the time or the patience to be bothered by the military.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Humanity is nothing to Godzilla. It's the same way humans don't go around stomping on ant hills and ignore them.

However, if we engage him that could change things.....
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Tohosaurus wrote:Humanity is nothing to Godzilla. It's the same way humans don't go around stomping on ant hills and ignore them.

we did. he just kinda waltzed off toward san fran. i see no issue there. we just don't matter to Godzilla.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Godzilla is supposed to be a predator. The Mutos are creatures, just like him. Which is why neither were really "evil"

CatfaceFourtoes
Monarch Researcher

Post by CatfaceFourtoes »

Well, the Japanese scientist in the film IS Serizawa after all, the character seemingly destined to kill the big G, though in this go round he seemed more like Dr. Yamane, all hell bent on keeping the beasts alive for study. He also seems in possession of both eyes.... guess time will tell.

As for Godzilla, 'docile' was the exact word that crept into my mind when I saw him all calm while surrounded by ships, especially when compared to the MUTOs interactions with humanity. I think Gareth Edwards is using the MUTOs to embody all the darkness that was Godzilla 54, so that Godzilla in this continuity can jump right into the Showa era 'hero' role, or even the force of nature role of the Heisei era.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

three wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:Humanity is nothing to Godzilla. It's the same way humans don't go around stomping on ant hills and ignore them.

we did. he just kinda waltzed off toward san fran. i see no issue there. we just don't matter to Godzilla.
I'm thinking more of a full-scale attack on Godzilla.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Tohosaurus wrote:
three wrote:

I'm thinking more of a full-scale attack on Godzilla.

i just don't see him taking us seriously. we nuked him ones, and yes that was "weaker" than what we have today but if that didn't bring him to land to level us, nothing will. humans are just not his problem.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

For better or for worse, I felt that Godzilla just didn't give a flying foke.
Monsters are the real people.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

CatfaceFourtoes wrote:Well, the Japanese scientist in the film IS Serizawa after all, the character seemingly destined to kill the big G, though in this go round he seemed more like Dr. Yamane, all hell bent on keeping the beasts alive for study. He also seems in possession of both eyes.... guess time will tell.
Hmmm… now there's an interesting proposition. Legendary Serizawa starts off as more of a Yamane-like character, but we manage to piss of Godzilla and he becomes move overtly hostile to us, so Serizawa creates something that might get the job done and rid the world of Godzilla. But can he bare to unleashed a new horror on the world? Will he risk stopping someone else's pocket watch? That could be a very interesting character arch.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I think he views us like we view bugs, birds, and squirrels outside.

He ignores us most of the time and doesn't go out of his way to harm us, but sometimes he will notice us.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

CatfaceFourtoes wrote:Well, the Japanese scientist in the film IS Serizawa after all, the character seemingly destined to kill the big G, though in this go round he seemed more like Dr. Yamane, all hell bent on keeping the beasts alive for study. He also seems in possession of both eyes.... guess time will tell.

As for Godzilla, 'docile' was the exact word that crept into my mind when I saw him all calm while surrounded by ships, especially when compared to the MUTOs interactions with humanity. I think Gareth Edwards is using the MUTOs to embody all the darkness that was Godzilla 54, so that Godzilla in this continuity can jump right into the Showa era 'hero' role, or even the force of nature role of the Heisei era.
I've heard rumors that Watanabe's Ishiro Serizawa is supposed to be the son of the original Dr. Serizawa from the original film. But of course without Godzilla attacking Tokyo and Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill Godzilla.

I actually prefer the "docile" Godzilla. I never thought that we would ever see a hero Godzilla again. Maybe an angry force of nature, but I've only expected a downright malevolent destructive Godzilla. Seeing this one ignore humanity and focus on the real threat made me happy. I think it is long overdue that Godzilla become a hero again, maybe not go as far as to make him a friend of humanity, but keeping him as the Earth's protector (rather than directly humanity's protector) is something I've wanted to see again for a long time.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

SG-17 wrote:

I've heard rumors that Watanabe's Ishiro Serizawa is supposed to be the son of the original Dr. Serizawa from the original film. But of course without Godzilla attacking Tokyo and Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill Godzilla.

I actually prefer the "docile" Godzilla. I never thought that we would ever see a hero Godzilla again. Maybe an angry force of nature, but I've only expected a downright malevolent destructive Godzilla. Seeing this one ignore humanity and focus on the real threat made me happy. I think it is long overdue that Godzilla become a hero again, maybe not go as far as to make him a friend of humanity, but keeping him as the Earth's protector (rather than directly humanity's protector) is something I've wanted to see again for a long time.
He's not. Read Godzilla Awakening. It goes into depth on his father. His dad is not even named Daisuke.

Ken's character is just a character that pays homage to the original Serizawa. In the same way John "Robin" Blake does to Dick Grayson and Tim Drake.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla's relationship to humans (Spoilers)

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Godzilla just doesnt give a shit about us. We're ants to him.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Tohosaurus wrote:It's the same way humans don't go around stomping on ant hills and ignore them.
I do sometimes. For fun.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Godzilla views us as shit, and nothing more. His "heroic" acts in the film were all circumstantial, like when he just happened to rise up and block the missiles from hitting the bridge, Godzilla didn't think to himself "oh shit, these people are in trouble", he just happened to rise up at the right place, and at the right time. When he and Ford made eye contact, Godzilla more or less had the expression of "well look at that" and that was it. He's not going to remember Ford's face, nor care about seeing him because we are nothing too him. Godzilla is the ultimate predator and his job is to hunt down potential threats to the Earth, and stop them in order to restore balance, and then he returns to the sea without a second thought and without looking back. This film just shows how small and insignificant we really are to nature, and that we're occasionally just a passing glance.

People have complained about this Godzilla not engaging the military, and I say why bother? We as Godzilla fans have seen this scenario since the 50's, and it wouldn't be any different this time around; Plus, the fact that this Godzilla just does not care, and is smart enough to realize how much of a waste it would be to destroy cities and attack humans. Why waste the energy fighting such insignificant things, when he has much bigger shit to deal with?

#BotM

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla165 wrote:Godzilla views us as shit, and nothing more. His "heroic" acts in the film were all circumstantial, like when he just happened to rise up and block the missiles from hitting the bridge, Godzilla didn't think to himself "oh shit, these people are in trouble", he just happened to rise up at the right place, and at the right time. When he and Ford made eye contact, Godzilla more or less had the expression of "well look at that" and that was it. He's not going to remember Ford's face, nor care about seeing him because we are nothing too him. Godzilla is the ultimate predator and his job is to hunt down potential threats to the Earth, and stop them in order to restore balance, and then he returns to the sea without a second thought and without looking back. This film just shows how small and insignificant we really are to nature, and that we're occasionally just a passing glance.

People have complained about this Godzilla not engaging the military, and I say why bother? We as Godzilla fans have seen this scenario since the 50's, and it wouldn't be any different this time around; Plus, the fact that this Godzilla just does not care, and is smart enough to realize how much of a waste it would be to destroy cities and attack humans. Why waste the energy fighting such insignificant things, when he has much bigger shit to deal with?
Well, they were saying the 1954 film counts in the continuity of the film, did they? Because of how they mention how he was awakened in 1954. Well, if that's true, then why did he attack Tokyo?
Shadow Arena Records:

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:Godzilla views us as shit, and nothing more. His "heroic" acts in the film were all circumstantial, like when he just happened to rise up and block the missiles from hitting the bridge, Godzilla didn't think to himself "oh shit, these people are in trouble", he just happened to rise up at the right place, and at the right time. When he and Ford made eye contact, Godzilla more or less had the expression of "well look at that" and that was it. He's not going to remember Ford's face, nor care about seeing him because we are nothing too him. Godzilla is the ultimate predator and his job is to hunt down potential threats to the Earth, and stop them in order to restore balance, and then he returns to the sea without a second thought and without looking back. This film just shows how small and insignificant we really are to nature, and that we're occasionally just a passing glance.

Well, they were saying the 1954 film counts in the continuity of the film, did they? Because of how they mention how he was awakened in 1954. Well, if that's true, then why did he attack Tokyo?

You've got to be kidding me...

He never attacked Tokyo, man. He just woke up in '54.
Oh. Well, thanks for the clear up.
Shadow Arena Records: