Legendary's Godzilla: A Retrospective

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Re: Legendary's Godzilla: A Retrospective

Post by zilla92 »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:^I can agree with that somewhat. To put it another way, it is it's own era for sure. There are similarities to all the various times in the past, but this is something all together new.
Well put. It is it's own era. The Legendary Era?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

It sure has been an adventure, but one worth the wait. We haven't had a Godzilla movie this good since GMK (IMO).

Part of the pressure I have allowed to surround this film is how much I want it to spawn a genre of Hollywood giant monster movies. Hopefully it'll encourage Japan to continue as well, what with Advancing Titans and Gamera already announced.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tek
Monsterland Worker

Does anyone else right now feel slightly sad?

Post by Tek »

Depressed is the wrong word, but sad fits the bill for me.

After following this movie for years and years (I can remember searching news for it almost daily starting back in late 2012), it's finally come and gone. As far as the viewing experience is concerned. I feel... sad. Thursday night was such an epic night. Watching it in a packed house of G Fans... cheering out loud moments a-plenty, seeing it with my childhood best friend and cousin... couldn't have thought of a better scenario.

Now, it's all over. It's back to bills and regular life worries. I feel sad, lol. Anyone else feel the same? I can't wait to get the sequel casting beginning... that way we can re-sink our teeth into this franchise.

It's been a great ride, folks. I have never anticipated nor followed a film more than I did Godzilla 2014. It's kinda sad that the journey for this specific movie now ends. It's almost like saying bye to an old friend. But I look forward to the sequel.

Mods, sorry if this doesn't warrant a thread. Feel free to add it to any other existing thread. But, I'm hoping I'm not alone, and that those of us who DO feel sad that this mega movie event is now a thing of the past, can unite and relate in this topic.

Honestly, I wish I hadn't caught it a 3rd time. OK time for some truth. I saw a midnight showing last night by myself. Being such a late show, there were only 20 other people there. It was the least enjoyable viewing experience of the 3 I had, by far. I should have ended it on the 2nd viewing, where I loved the film, and got to see it with my brother and his wife in another packed (but non hardcore fan) environment. I think the 3rd viewing kind of made me sad that I didn't leave it on a high note, lol. Is that weird to say/think? Sigh. Oversaturation!

I'll watch it a 4th time whenever I buy the DVD on release day... and hopefully that will wipe out the regret of the 3rd viewing. It was kind of depressing watching it alone with so few other people in the theatre plus it being the 3rd night I saw it in a row. It paled to the previous two packed houses and also the people I got to experience and share it with.

Damn, I should have left it on a high note. Also, 3rd viewing made me like the film a little less. 2nd viewing I loved it. 3rd viewing the nit picking came out more. Still like the film, but I have a feeling it's one of those movies oddly where a lot of how you feel (or at least for me) depends on who you watch it with. It's one of those movies you have to experience with a full house. Maybe that's just me. Sorry I'm just psycho babbling now :P

Tek
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tek »

GTU wrote:Sorta sad to see all that buildup go away. Waiting for the sequel won't quite feel the same. At the same time, I'm glad the buildup brought us a great addition to the series and a sequel on the way. On top of that, Gamera's making a comeback. Maybe we're entering a giant monster boom. We won't get a feeling like that buildup again, but it was worth it to let it go.
True... it's always the birth or in this case rebirth of something that is exciting. This time, I'm hoping for less hype and more overall film quality.