Godzilla (2014) Toho Kingdom User Review Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla (2014) Toho Kingdom User Review Thread (SPOILER

Post by Janjira54 »

To sum up your essay, "Gojira is the best godzilla film and G14 is horrible, and you should feel bad for liking it". Right?

Look dude, I really like G14. I LOVE all other G films though. Its possible to like this film, even love it, and still Like other Godzilla films. I'm sorry it didn't live up to a Gojira shot for shot remake for you, but others enjoyed it. Most recognize its flaws, hell, there pretty big. But, it doesn't mean they have a short attention span or don't like the gloomy atmosphere of Gojira. It just means we liked the film, there is no secret agenda or all people have ADHD or whatever you think. It just means we liked it

And this isn't just directed towards you, its directed towards anybody who thinks this
Last edited by Janjira54 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Janjira54 wrote: "Gojira is the best godzilla film and G14 is horrible, and you should feel bad for liking it".
Par for the course, sadly.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Janjira54 wrote: "Gojira is the best godzilla film and G14 is horrible, and you should feel bad for liking it".
My opinion is that Gojira is the best Godzilla film, with G14 at a close second. I reckon the more crazy fans would hate me :P

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Sorry, it's just super annoying when people do this. Its like "Yeah, ok, Gojira is a good film, but I also like this film"

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Janjira54 wrote:Sorry, it's just super annoying when people do this. Its like "Yeah, ok, Gojira is a good film, but I also like this film"
Agreed.

PyroArrow
Ronin

Post by PyroArrow »

I myself have enjoyed watching & love every Godzilla film!

However, if Gareth Edwards did take some of those suggestions from the fellow's two reviews of Godzilla 2014 from the DiaKiaju Eiga Yahoo Group, & applied them to his later films,

they may have the chance to be even more enjoyable, who knows.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

PyroArrow wrote:I myself have enjoyed watching & love every Godzilla film!

However, if Gareth Edwards did take some of those suggestions from the fellow's two reviews of Godzilla 2014 from the DiaKiaju Eiga Yahoo Group, & applied them to his later films,

they may have the chance to be even more enjoyable, who knows.
Welcome to TK!

I think Gareth and co should take common criticisms into account. "Too much cutting away" and "not the best writing" are things that could be easily improved, and I feel their improvement would strengthen the sequel(s) overall.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Chris55 wrote: Considering Gareth and everyone else lurks here, they're looking at feedback already.

Also: "Mirjahangir: Did you read the reviews upon the release of the film or did you ignore them completely?

Edwards: Yes. I find it impossible to spend two years making a film for people, and constantly thinking about how the audience will react to different decisions, without then looking to see what they actually thought."
It's stuff like this that gives me hope.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Godzilla 2014 (Blu Ray) Discussion Thread.

Post by HayesAJones »

PyroArrow wrote:In stark contrast, I have yet to read a single poster who has given a logical, detailed, reasoned-out explanation as for why he or she was THRILLED BY the 2014 Godzilla film instead of disappointed by it...
Why does someone need to write an essay about why they liked something? Why can't they just, you know... LIKE it?

Or dislike it, for that matter.

That's a problem that has been created by the internet age: some people want everything explained and justified and blah, blah, blah.

Liking something- or dislike something- are feelings. They cannot be proven in any cement way. They're just things that pop up in us sometimes, with reason or without.

A bit off topic, I guess, but that sentence really annoyed me and I felt the need to say something about it.

This movie seems to have brought out a lot of that kind of sentiment for some reason. "How could you like it/dislike it?"-type stuff and both sides need to chill out.

I mean, to be honest, it does distress me to see someone who was disappointed or upset with it, but I'm hardly about to demand why or how they could feel that way.

They just do and I can't change that, so... oh well.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Godzilla 2014 (Blu Ray) Discussion Thread.

Post by Pkmatrix »

HayesAJones wrote:
PyroArrow wrote:In stark contrast, I have yet to read a single poster who has given a logical, detailed, reasoned-out explanation as for why he or she was THRILLED BY the 2014 Godzilla film instead of disappointed by it...
Why does someone need to write an essay about why they liked something? Why can't they just, you know... LIKE it?

Or dislike it, for that matter.
EXACTLY.

No one needs to know WHY we like this movie or that movie, just know that we DO. If we feel like expounding and expanding, then we will. The Internet isn't entitled an explanation for our every preference or dislike.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Whether or not you like the film, it still doesn't change the fact that it's no better than a lower level Heisei or Millennium Era film with Hollywood's effects. And the above review (long rant) is probably one of the most honest and accurate since the film's release.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

4. Until now, every Godzilla film has been a sequel to the original Gojira. There have
been the various continuities independent of one another, but with the exception of
the 1990s Zilla abomination (wonderfully exiled by GMK with the line "the Americans
think it was Godzilla, but Japanese scientists don't" or various translations thereof),
each has acknowledged the original Gojira and the heart-wrenching sacrifice of tragic
young Dr. Daisuike Serizawa. Until now. This new film erases Dr. Serizawa's sacrifice
AND erases American guilt for the creation of Godzilla by suggesting that the atomic
tests that awakened Godzilla in the original film were instead brave American efforts
to stop Godzilla. Because this is suggested more than outright stated, people who
do not wish to perceive this suggestion can ignore it, and space is left for a possible
retcon that reinserts Gojira. But overall, this is a reboot rather than a continuation.
I would have given much to have heard just one line connecting this film's Serizawa
to the brave, tormented Dr. Serizawa of the orignal Gojira.
>Calling the first movie Gojeeruh
>>Calling the '98 film Zilla
>>>Obligatory shoehorned GMK praise
>>>>Fandom

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

kamilleblu wrote:Whether or not you like the film, it still doesn't change the fact that it's no better than a lower level Heisei or Millennium Era film with Hollywood's effects. And the above review (long rant) is probably one of the most honest and accurate since the film's release.
Translation: "My opinion is better than yours, even if you THOUGHT the movie was good, it isn't."

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

kamilleblu wrote:Whether or not you like the film, it still doesn't change the fact that it's no better than a lower level Heisei or Millennium Era film with Hollywood's effects.
That, sir, is a matter of opinion.

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

kamilleblu wrote:Whether or not you like the film, it still doesn't change the fact that it's no better than a lower level Heisei or Millennium Era film with Hollywood's effects. And the above review (long rant) is probably one of the most honest and accurate since the film's release.
It's up there with Gojira for me :lol:

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

kaiju_wars wrote:
Again, it's all opinions.

And again, I say:
http://archive.4plebs.org/boards/tg/ima ... 740277.jpg
Unfortunately, that isn't what I stated at all. You or anyone else can like G14 as much as it is humanly possible to like something. Heck, your favorite Godzilla film list could look like this:

Godzilla Raids Again: 10/10
Godzilla's Revenge: 10/10
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla: 10/10
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: 10/10
Godzilla Final Wars: 10/10

While two of the most popular are the ones you hate the most:

Mothra vs. Godzilla: 4/10
Godzilla (1954): 0.5/10

The top list could be your favorite films in the history of cinema, I have no problem with that. Does that make them the best of the franchise or good films in general? No.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

kamilleblu wrote:
Again, it's all opinions.

And again, I say:
http://archive.4plebs.org/boards/tg/ima ... 740277.jpg
Unfortunately, that isn't what I stated at all. You or anyone else can like G14 as much as it is humanly possible to like something. Heck, your favorite Godzilla film list could look like this:

Godzilla Raids Again: 10/10
Godzilla's Revenge: 10/10
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla: 10/10
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: 10/10
Godzilla Final Wars: 10/10

While two of the most popular are the ones you hate the most:

Mothra vs. Godzilla: 4/10
Godzilla (1954): 0.5/10

The top list could be your favorite films in the history of cinema, I have no problem with that. Does that make them the best of the franchise or good films in general? No.

I know there's a wall of text, but all I see is more

"My opinion is better than yours, herrrrrm you're stupid if you like this".

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

So 5 months out from the release how do people see the film now? Improved standing or looking worse with time? The film doesn't hold up for me on repeat viewings.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

You know who will answer that question and how they will answer it already.
In my opinion, of course.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

HannibalBarca wrote:You know who will answer that question and how they will answer it already.
I actually don't. I haven't been perusing the G14 forum for a long time. Curious about current perceptions.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.