Godzilla 120 minutes (2 hours)?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzillasylum
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla 120 minutes (2 hours)?

Post by Godzillasylum »

I'm not sure if it was talking about before (I know it was but I mean recently) but I went to my local theater website and to my surprise they had Godzilla listed but still no showtimes for it which I was already aware, BUT anyways I was looking at the run time and it says its 120 min. long, now is this just a place holder for the runtime on it or is this the actual runtime for Godzilla? Here's the link to it: http://www.cinemark.com/godzilla
Good hunter... May you find your worth in the waking world.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla 120 minutes (2 hours)?

Post by HannibalBarca »

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a placeholder since we haven't seen anything through more official channels yet.
In my opinion, of course.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I'm not going to believe any runtimes until I see something official like on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. This is definitely a placeholder.

Godzillasylum
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillasylum »

Yeah, I had a feeling it was just a placeholder but I just wanted to know for sure, thanks. When it comes to Godzilla it's better to be safe then sorry :P.

Ghost_Ultramantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ghost_Ultramantis »

Tight editing and streamlined pacing is a must to maximize the impact of a realistic Godzilla movie. Anything over 120 minutes will be a mistake, and ideally it should probably be in the 110-120 minute range.

The unnecessary bloat in some movies these days is ridiculous. Save it for the extras.
I hope Wanigumagoji's fighting style lives up to his design.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I honestly would mind the movie being 150 minutes. I think that would be the perfect amount for this movie.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla628 wrote:I honestly would mind the movie being 150 minutes. I think that would be the perfect amount for this movie.
Agreed. Heck, I'd even be fine with it if it was the same length as the 2005 King Kong movie.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzillasylum
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillasylum »

Same here, I think for this reboot to show how and what Godzilla really is capable of it should be anywhere from around 120 - 150 minutes. Not to long, but not to short.

Ghost_Ultramantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ghost_Ultramantis »

Godzilla628 wrote:I honestly would mind the movie being 150 minutes. I think that would be the perfect amount for this movie.

I know a longer movie is a seductive thing, but if Edwards is smart it will 90-100 minutes of story with 10-20 minutes of extra, fan-pandering awesomeness as the Kaiju cherry on top. Anything more and it will most likely get mired and start to collapse on itself.
I hope Wanigumagoji's fighting style lives up to his design.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Ghost_Ultramantis wrote:

I know a longer movie is a seductive thing, but if Edwards is smart it will 90-100 minutes of story with 10-20 minutes of extra, fan-pandering awesomeness as the Kaiju cherry on top. Anything more and it will most likely get mired and start to collapse on itself.
There's no way to know that for certain though, since we don't know all that much about the story (other than giant monsters be going batshit) and therefore don't know how things will play out. It needs time to get to know the characters and their relationships, struggles, and evolutions, time to get the plot moving, time to show some awesome action sequences, and time to show the effects of Godzilla's attack. How much time that requires? No one really knows, or, at least those who haven't spoiled the living shit out of themselves would. Various different movies have various different objectives, and subsequently require various different running times. I would prefer a longer movie, just so that I could get more Godzilla.

2 hours seems very likely, though.

Also, why does this need its own thread? I swear, someone might as well just start a thread about Godzilla's farts by this point.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

According to writer Max Borenstein. It is going to be 2 + hours.

https://twitter.com/MAXBORENSTEIN/statu ... 5672739841

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

I'd prefer a 100-120 minute movie.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I honestly don't care how long it is as long as the pacing is so good that I don't notice.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Two hours would probably be the ideal runtime.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

If the movie is good enough, then sure...make it 2.5 hours or even a little more.

Don't make it that long just to have a long movie, though.

King Kong was ridiculously too long. The whole first hour was excruciatingly boring. Didn't need to be that much of a build up to the island.

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

NANI SORE wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Oh whatever. Like I'm going to get up out of my seat when it's over. I'll sit there all day.
And then you'll be banned from the theater for fapping that whole time because of the movie.
So you're implying that chris is like Pee-wee Herman?

TDCOProgzilla11
GPN Volunteer

Post by TDCOProgzilla11 »

I would like it to be as long as the King Kong (2005) film too. That way nothing gets rushed or cut out just for the sake of pacing.
Stegosaurus: Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land.
T-Rex: I think we should call it... your grave!
Stegosaurus: Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
T-Rex: Ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh! Now DIE!
Stegosaurus: Oh no, God, oh dear God in heaven...

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

140 minutes would be the perfect run time for me.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've always preferred movies to be between 90 and 120 minutes. About the longest I'm willing to tolerate is MAYBE 150 minutes, if the movie is really REALLY good. If your story needs more than 150 minutes to tell, either you have too much padding or you're trying to cram two movies into one. I'd MUCH rather have two tightly-paced and well-edited 90 minute films than a messy 3+ hour slog.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

My preferred running time for this film: 120-130 minutes (no 2005 King Kong territory please)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO