PG-13 Confirmed

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: PG-13 Confirmed

Post by LegendZilla »

The F-Word could still be uttered only once.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Yeah it could, and still keep a PG13 rating. But who needs it.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

man of steel had a fighter jet pilot's head popped off (blood and everything) by a kryptonian, it's quick but i caught it on my first viewing

still kept a pg 13 rating

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Lots of movies can get pretty violent with PG-13s nowadays, so Godzilla might be able to get away with showing some decently graphic content, although not as much as they need if they want to go into the death, destruction, mutations, etc. involved with a Godzilla attack.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Ōei wrote:In a way, I was hoping that an F-Bomb or two would be dropped.

I mean, IRL, alot of F bombs would be dropped...
Yep. But then the potential profit line would drop. Gotta make sure to please all the idiot parents who think Son of Godzilla is the ideal monster movie, since we all know gigantic creatures wiping out populations and killing thousands needs to be good kid-friendly fun with a family-friendly message.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Degenerate
GPN Volunteer

Post by Degenerate »

A Godzilla movie rated R would just be ridiculous.
Yeah, I shoulda known better
Nothing lasts forever, yeah, lasts forever
When you said you'd never leave and we'd be together
Nothing lasts forever, nothing ever lasts forever

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Degenerate wrote:A Godzilla movie rated R would just be ridiculous.
LOL I see what you did there!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTSQ1i0nhk‎

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Starsteam wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Starsteam wrote:^True, but it's a movie, it's not necessary to include them. Frankly I don't care much for harsh language and dialog is much more interesting when they avoid it.
You must hate Quentin Tarentino, then. :P

In all honesty, as someone who specializes in profanity as a second language, as well as the fact that people (especially those in such situations as seen in the film) would swear their asses off, I wouldn't mind a f-bomb filled Godzilla movie. Edwards did say he was trying to be as realistic as possible, too. Just saying. :P

I just used two smiley faces in one post.

Also, did this really warrant its own thread?
Actually I'm a big Tarentino fan- but I wouldn't want to watch the movies around my family (which is weird since the only way I've seen Kill Bill was with my mother).

But I've seen plenty of movies that never use a piece of foul language and are still well-written and enjoyable. F-bombs are realistic? Yes. Necessary? Not a bit, often times the facial expression is all one needs to go "Oh shit."
So in your opinion, Godzilla films by their nature must be family films?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

If its a controversial pg13 rating I would be fine with that. I thought Gareth Edwards Monsters film was appropriate in terms of its content considering its R rating so I felt they could pull it off with this but the pg13 rating makes sense I guess.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
tenup wrote:If its a controversial pg13 rating I would be fine with that. I thought Gareth Edwards Monsters film was appropriate in terms of its content considering its R rating so I felt they could pull it off with this but the pg13 rating makes sense I guess.
Looking at Monsters, I have no real idea why it was rated R, beyond the two f-bombs dropped. There wasn't really any gore or violence in it, so I guess it was just a technicality. Very strange to me.
Yeah, the MPAA is an asshole, especially to independent films. Rarely do I ever see a film that actually deserves its R, or Hell, even deserves its PG13. But there's no use in complaining about that. The MPAA will continue to be an asshole.
Starsteam wrote:Actually I'm a big Tarentino fan- but I wouldn't want to watch the movies around my family (which is weird since the only way I've seen Kill Bill was with my mother).

But I've seen plenty of movies that never use a piece of foul language and are still well-written and enjoyable. F-bombs are realistic? Yes. Necessary? Not a bit, often times the facial expression is all one needs to go "Oh shit."
I don't think that means there shouldn't be f-bombs (save for the studio not having the balls to go with an R). I mean, you could really apply that logic to anything. Why does every film have to be family friendly? Why do families get so freaked out anyway when anything that wouldn't appear in a Disney film shows up? And if we're going with an "It's unnecessary, therefore we shouldn't have it," type mentality, then that really doesn't make sense, as that could be applied to almost anything as well. Is it necessary to have a new Godzilla movie at all?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
So in your opinion, Godzilla films by their nature must be family films?
No? By that logic, The Dark Knight trilogy is family friendly, since they never dropped any f-bombs.

Adeno
Monarch Researcher

Post by Adeno »

I'm not sure if I've watched all Godzilla movies, but from the original Godzilla to Final Wars, was there any of them that had a rating that says it should only be watched by adults? I think even in the Ultraman shows I used to watch as a kid, monster body parts would get cut/chopped off routinely lol!

Personally though, I don't think it would detract from the movie if none of the characters were ever to utter the F or S words, as long as the movie tells a great Godzilla story. Just don't replace the F word with "Fuzzlebutts!" or the S word with "Skittleedoodelleedoo!" every time somebody almost gets stomped on, that would be ridiculous.

Still, even though I find no problem with Godzilla just doing normal violent giant monster stuff like tearing apart other monsters, it would indeed be interesting if the movie became "darker" and it would show people getting stomped on and crushed to death, complete with gore. Maybe even show Godzilla breaking a train and then eating people as if they were skittles, complete with spurting bloody rainbows. Of course no adult rated Godzilla movie would be complete without showing the effects of Godzilla's atomic breath on puny humans.:D

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mr. Xeno wrote:Lots of movies can get pretty violent with PG-13s nowadays, so Godzilla might be able to get away with showing some decently graphic content, although not as much as they need if they want to go into the death, destruction, mutations, etc. involved with a Godzilla attack.
Nowadays, Most PG13 movies aren't even as violent as they were back in the early 90's. The MPAA has gotten a lot more squeamish over the past 20 years.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:Lots of movies can get pretty violent with PG-13s nowadays, so Godzilla might be able to get away with showing some decently graphic content, although not as much as they need if they want to go into the death, destruction, mutations, etc. involved with a Godzilla attack.
Nowadays, Most PG13 movies aren't even as violent as they were back in the early 90's. The MPAA has gotten a lot more squeamish over the past 20 years.
I actually think it's the exact opposite. PG 13 gets away with more these days than the past.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

Godzilla21 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I actually think it's the exact opposite. PG 13 gets away with more these days than the past.
mostly regarding sex I would say.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

It very much depends on the movie, the MPAA really seems to have no standardized method of determining what should be what. I think PG-13 movies are, overall, more violent today than in years past but at the same time less bloody. They also have more sex and sexuality while simultaneously showing less.

As for Godzilla: anyone who thought this would get anything more than PG-13 was being silly or fooling themselves.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

LegendZilla wrote:
The MPAA are a cancer as far as I'm concerned.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO