Where should he stand? (Hero or Villain)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What role should Godzilla play?

A hero.
5%
A threat to the world.
16%
A potential ally.
9%
An anti-hero.
64%
Other (please specify).
5%

Total votes: 56

Mr. MADNESS
Yojimbo

Re: GODZILLA: HERO or VILLAIN?

Post by Mr. MADNESS »

Hero always win,villain always lose. So I pick hero.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I pretty much agree with what Donkun said.

GodGan
Samurai

Post by GodGan »

godzilla neuteral hero and villian
In the beginning he should be villain just because humanity captured his son for only science experiments.
In the middle he should be a hero for fighting the bad guys
In the end he should be neuteral because he gets his son back and kills the man who captured him to send humanity a message that they should not be greedy and care for themselves. Like in g2k he killed that guy who theatened to kill him.
So there if you like my idea reply.
Hai

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

I have such a soft spot for the Big Guy that I can't help but root for him, no matter what role he's in. That being said, I'm interested to see what they would do putting him in a more heroic light (not full-blown 70s Godzilla or anything, but you know what I mean). Even the '94 screenplay tried that... using an eerily similar origin to Heisei Gamera... >_>

tenup
G-Force Personnel

What threats is this Godzilla going to bring?

Post by tenup »

No news and more fan speculation. I for one wouldn't care for a film that has no motion to it unless of course if it was Godzilla. So I was watching Cloverfield the other day and thought to myself, this monster is really deadly. Not only the monster itself is vicious but the threat of those parasites only added a greater deal to the danger. Zilla also came with extra baggage when delivering those Raptor stlye Minyas. Godzilla is usually known for showing up on shores and trashing cities without the excess left overs, minus radiation of course. So I was wondering if they might add additional eliments to Godzilla like include those sea lice that appeared in Return Of Godzilla? If they do include them I would lol if they decided to use that same prop for maybe a dead lice or something. The other kool thing I thought was how boats were stuck on Zilla's back when it surfaced from the east rivera, only to later latch off and cause extra destruction.

What do you guys think Godzilla will surprise us with in this long over due film?

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: What threats is this Godzilla going to bring?

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

No Baby Godzillas please.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

How about a Nicholas Cage Bee monster? Not a fan of Godzilla offspring neither but the lice would be interesting.

FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent

Post by FlamingZilla23 »

I don't know, maybe his radiation or something. I definately don't want to see any baby godzillas in this film.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The parasite concept, as already stated, was done by Godzilla long before Cloverfield but given that you'd pretty much need to be a reasonable devout Godzilla fan to even have seen Godzilla 1985 in the last 20 or so years, it would be labeled a Cloverfield rip off undoubtedly, and I've said this before. Still, I have no qualms with them doing it again anyway. Cloverfield's makers unabashedly admit the film was supposed to be "America's Godzilla" so it's only fitting.

The radiation and resulting health/environmental concerns would also be a vast problem for the life within this movie. They should really try to nail it.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

JKN
Samurai

Post by JKN »

Tohosaurus wrote:The parasite concept, as already stated, was done by Godzilla long before Cloverfield but given that you'd pretty much need to be a reasonable devout Godzilla fan to even have seen Godzilla 1985 in the last 20 or so years, it would be labeled a Cloverfield rip off undoubtedly, and I've said this before. Still, I have no qualms with them doing it again anyway. Cloverfield's makers unabashedly admit the film was supposed to be "America's Godzilla" so it's only fitting.

The radiation and resulting health/environmental concerns would also be a vast problem for the life within this movie. They should really try to nail it.
Since when did Godzilla drop off little tiny creatures that make people explode? If your talking about the Destroyah parasites that's another thing, The main monster did not have mini creatures go rampant during it's attack and they all formed into Destroyah anyway.
-I must be like the only sane person who liked Zilla

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Having seen G1985 only once, I don't remember the Shockirus really well; however I like the idea very much.

I'll also second the notion on irradiation. That hasn't been brought up much in the franchise, especially recently, and I think it really should.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Radioactivity and possibly Shokuris (sp?). Why not take a crack at the plague blood Beast from 20,000 Fathoms tried?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Well, something like that could go with a radiation danger.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Like others have said, I've had this idea of Godzilla's radioactive blood contaminating the groundwater or something like that. Nothing overly dramatic, just a passing reference mentioned by a reporter or a scientist character.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Nuclear contamination is the way to go I think. It gives Godzilla an element of passive destructiveness. Either people are irradiated, or maybe the nearby sea-life and fishing supply come in close proximity of him, causing something like the tuna-scare which happened in Japan. Could the sea-life attack people like the shockirus did? I guess... but I think that's unnecessary. If this film is going to have another monster for Godzilla to battle, let the little creatures be it's offspring or something. I don't know. Do we really need more smaller creatures to attack people like the parasites did in Cloverfield? Less is more I say, keep between Godzilla and the other monster.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Mitchal
Interpol Agent

Post by Mitchal »

Villain.

Honestly, I'm one of those few that thinks this movie should only have Godzilla.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Mitchal wrote:Villain.

Honestly, I'm one of those few that thinks this movie should only have Godzilla.
Then young jedi, you will DIE! :lol:
I still perfer the G2K role, defends the earth but destroys shit. But we all have different opinions.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Svitska Donkun wrote:Hero, but more of an anti-heroish guy, like...he's the only thing protecting the planet, but he is indifferent towards the humans that live on it, and occasionally angered by them. But maybe, MAYBE, he can sometimes be a bit more defensive of them such as in Sea Monster, Ghidorah, and Godzilla 2000. Godzilla 2000 really hit the sweet spot in temrs of his character. He was like, "You ASSHOLES, I'm trying to help this place! skreeonk you Katagiri. Everyone else, you're good. For now."

Kind of like, Tokyo is HIS territory. He ALLOWS Humans to exist in it, or should I say, he TOLERATES it, but it isn't his fault if they get in his way, and he doesn't respond well to their attempts to kill him. This relationship is actually perfectly emphasized by Godzilla's final act in Godzilla 2000. People exist on his turf because he allows them to, and if he so wishes, he could kill all of them.
I like this description. It makes G2000's Godzilla seem well for lack of a better word, Dynamic

Gexistentialist
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gexistentialist »

Call me corny or idealistic, but I think Godzilla should be portrayed as a sympathetic anti-hero who finds some closure by the end of the story.
Writer. Creator. Human Being.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Svitska Donkun wrote:Hero, but more of an anti-heroish guy, like...he's the only thing protecting the planet, but he is indifferent towards the humans that live on it, and occasionally angered by them. But maybe, MAYBE, he can sometimes be a bit more defensive of them such as in Sea Monster, Ghidorah, and Godzilla 2000. Godzilla 2000 really hit the sweet spot in temrs of his character. He was like, "You ASSHOLES, I'm trying to help this place! Fuck you Katagiri. Everyone else, you're good. For now."

Kind of like, Tokyo is HIS territory. He ALLOWS Humans to exist in it, or should I say, he TOLERATES it, but it isn't his fault if they get in his way, and he doesn't respond well to their attempts to kill him. This relationship is actually perfectly emphasized by Godzilla's final act in Godzilla 2000. People exist on his turf because he allows them to, and if he so wishes, he could kill all of them.
I know we're not supposed to say good things about G2K... but I totally agree, Donkun. Right on.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.