Where should he stand? (Hero or Villain)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What role should Godzilla play?

A hero.
5%
A threat to the world.
16%
A potential ally.
9%
An anti-hero.
64%
Other (please specify).
5%

Total votes: 56

Viva la revolucion!
Samurai

Re: GODZILLA: HERO or VILLAIN?

Post by Viva la revolucion! »

Mitchal wrote:Villain.

Honestly, I'm one of those few that thinks this movie should only have Godzilla.
True story. It needs to have more kills and stuff, make Godzilla really dangerous and threatning. That way he can be taken seriously like Gojira, remember when it got rereleased and got positive reviews?

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Viva la revolucion! wrote:
Mitchal wrote:Villain.

Honestly, I'm one of those few that thinks this movie should only have Godzilla.
True story. It needs to have more kills and stuff, make Godzilla really dangerous and threatning. That way he can be taken seriously like Gojira, remember when it got rereleased and got positive reviews?
The franchise is never going to be Gojira again. It can never go back. There's to much ingrained pop cultural history and way to be many more interesting stories to tell. There's nothing to gain from Godzilla killing people. It's a dumb and cheap shock value.

Remember when the straight comedic Godzilla film made the most money in the franchise? Crazy.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

TokyoVigilante wrote: True story. It needs to have more kills and stuff, make Godzilla really dangerous and threatning. That way he can be taken seriously like Gojira, remember when it got rereleased and got positive reviews?
The franchise is never going to be Gojira again. It can never go back. There's to much ingrained pop cultural history and way to be many more interesting stories to tell. There's nothing to gain from Godzilla killing people. It's a dumb and cheap shock value.

Remember when the straight comedic Godzilla film made the most money in the franchise? Crazy.[/quote]

You mean Final Wars was a commercial success!?
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Viva la revolucion!
Samurai

Post by Viva la revolucion! »

Remember when people didn't take Batman seriously because of the crappy films that came before it? Well then, Batman Begins and the DARK Knight changed everything and they can do it again. I hope this films is a lot like that, you know?

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Of course, people could view the idea of a really dark movie about a giant monster about as stupid as a movie with Godzilla flying.

Honestly, I don't really care what the tone is as long as it has a good, well written and entertaining script. Though I'd prefer the tone to be like the earlier Showa films.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Viva la revolucion! wrote:Remember when people didn't take Batman seriously because of the crappy films that came before it?
No, because that time did not actually happen. Batman only had one really bad movie before Batman Begins and that was Batman & Robin. Batman is a character that is almost one hundred years old and film isn't the characters primary medium, one bad movie isn't going to change anything.

Oh yeah, and Batman & Robin was still a huge financial success.
Well then, Batman Begins and the DARK Knight changed everything and they can do it again. I hope this films is a lot like that, you know?
They didn't change anything. I would hate if they made Godzilla like Nolans films. Just sucked dry of any character or anything remotely exciting or interesting and treating iconography of the character like they're embarrassed of it. I don't understand why anyone would be willing to sacrifice aspects of the character for the sake of proving to people that their childrens character they like isn't for children.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Tyler wrote:I think what some people mean is that they want something as good as the Nolan films, not necessarily as realistic or serious. That's what I mean anyway. In my mind something like Star Trek or Rise of the Planet of the Apes are just as good as the new Batman films. You just have to treat the property your playing with in the right way and update it properly.
That isn't what people mean, otherwise they wouldn't use the Nolan movies as their point of reference.

The entire mindset is this misconception that Schumacher's Batman films somehow tarnished Batmans reputation into something cheesy and kitchy, then Nolan swooped in on golden wings and saved it with dark tone, grounded portrayal, and a dose of realism and then everyone took Batman seriously again. This doesn't add up because;

A) Batman has always made money. There has never been a Batman film that technically bombed at the box office.

B) Batman Begins came in the middle of a superhero film boom and was already popular to begin with. Any Batman film would have been a huge financial success.

People want this applied to Godzilla because they have a misconception that since Godzilla is seen as kitchy and campy, a "Nolan-ized" film will have the same effect. This is dumb because the characters don't have the same background and it's questionable if Nolan actually saved anything or not. But even if he did, Batman and Godzilla do not have comparable histories at the box office to warrant the comparison.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Star Trek I think is if anything the best model - there's no history in common, but it took something often but not universally considered "nerdy" and made it mainstream enough to have appeal, but kept enough callbacks to keep most casual fans fairly happy. It wasn't a 'dark' film, it wasn't a 'cheesy' film - it was an action flick with some serious moments and some comedic moments, and it was a financial success that re-launched the franchise as intended, with a hotly anticipated sequel and already half-assed talks for a return to television.

No, Godzilla and Trek have nothing in common, but it's a better business model to me than the ever-popular Batman comparisons.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Viva la revolucion! wrote:Remember when people didn't take Batman seriously because of the crappy films that came before it? Well then, Batman Begins and the DARK Knight changed everything and they can do it again. I hope this films is a lot like that, you know?
Godzilla is not as popular as Batman, i don't think people will care for Godzilla even if the movie is going to be a critical and commercial success(great now even i am talking like a greedy businessman).

I want the movie to be like The Avengers.

They didn't change anything. I would hate if they made Godzilla like Nolans films. Just sucked dry of any character or anything remotely exciting or interesting and treating iconography of the character like they're embarrassed of it.
See? People who dislikes the Nolan films actually exist.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:All right I guess I need to confess.

I like all the Batman films. All of them.

Even Batman&Robin?

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:All right I guess I need to confess.

I like all the Batman films. All of them.

Even Batman&Robin?
ALL OF THEM.

Wild World of Batwoman?

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:
Wild World of Batwoman?
Never heard of that one. Is that some kind of pron spoof?

Watch the MST3K version, trust me.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

That's not related to the actual Batwoman. They had to change the title later due to copyright infringement. New title had something to due with vampires if I remember correctly.

And, no, there are no vampires in the movie.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

[quote="shinmattiathekaiju"][quote="Viva la revolucion!"]

Godzilla is not as popular as Batman, i don't think people will care for Godzilla even if the movie is going to be a critical and commercial success(great now even i am talking like a greedy businessman).
quote]

Talk like that just needs to stop. You get a good movie and people WILL come. Like i have said numerous times before GINO still made almost 400 million total even for as bad as it was.
Godzilla may not be as popular now as he was in the 90s but you get a good movie in theaters people WILL come. People still love Godzilla but with nothing new movie wise in years obviously no one will talk about it as much

The best examples i can think of for how the movie should be modeled would be the Nolan Batman films, Marvel's Avengers movies and Star Trek.

Godzilla should be an anti-hero kinda like how he was done in Godzilla 2000 or the Heisei series. He will defend the earth and humanity but at the same time will turn around and blast the living hell out of them.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

TokyoVigilante wrote:

They didn't change anything. I would hate if they made Godzilla like Nolans films. Just sucked dry of any character or anything remotely exciting or interesting and treating iconography of the character like they're embarrassed of it. I don't understand why anyone would be willing to sacrifice aspects of the character for the sake of proving to people that their childrens character they like isn't for children.
Its because Nolan wanted an ''artsy'' approach with Batman and set the story in a what-if scenario like an Elseworld graphic novel.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Re: What threats is this Godzilla going to bring?

Post by tenup »

Interesting observation Tyler. The way things are headed, humans are destroying the very resources that all living creatures need to survive, and if something like Godzilla came along, that would only speed up the whole process.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

TokyoVigilante wrote:

Its because Nolan wanted an ''artsy'' approach with Batman and set the story in a what-if scenario like an Elseworld graphic novel.
I don't see anything artsy about Nolan's Batman. I can appreciate and do enjoy the creative direction he's taken, as a whole, with Batman. His Batman works and tells great stories and fits the character. BUT to have this approach treated, warts and all, as a fix all for any property that has a bad reputation is just lacking in creativity, bland, and misrepresenting the hard work that Nolan did.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Godzilla's radioactive semen will burn through buildings and humans.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

JVM wrote:Godzilla's radioactive semen will burn through buildings and humans.
Fund it, this is the idea that will save this project
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

I'd LOVE to see something along the lines of the Moraga California scene from Godzilla 2000. Everytime something goes for goji you see fallout and radiation sickness from flesh and blood flying everywhere. "...it wasn't rubber at all. Nor was the stuff on his shirt melted plastic. The black rubber was really chunks of godzilla's flesh, blasted away from the creatures body. And the green goo was...Godzilla's blood." "try as he might, Burgleman just couldn't control the spasms in his gut. Long after everything was out of his stomach, Burgleman still felt convulsions rip through his abdomen. He was so sick he couldn't move, couldn't walk. He just gagged and writhed on the tile floor of his store's restroom."
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.