Where should he stand? (Hero or Villain)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What role should Godzilla play?

A hero.
5%
A threat to the world.
16%
A potential ally.
9%
An anti-hero.
64%
Other (please specify).
5%

Total votes: 56

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Re: GODZILLA: HERO or VILLAIN?

Post by Patrick Alan »

Like I said, destroying all life that he sees as a threat! Destroying all of mankind, and kicking ass not for humanity, but for his own survival and territory. Show that he's an entity far stronger and deadly than anyone has ever seen before or even thought was possible!

Anyone agree with me?
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Patrick Alan wrote:Like I said, destroying all life that he sees as a threat! Destroying all of mankind, and kicking ass not for humanity, but for his own survival and territory. Show that he's an entity far stronger and deadly than anyone has ever seen before or even thought was possible!

Anyone agree with me?
I would but the directors won't let me.
I want him to be like he is in G2K, saves the earth from attack, but destroys buildings.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Ethan wrote:
Shinmwhateverfanboy wrote:Blah, blah, blah, i want gozilla to be taken seriously by people, blah, cartoons suck, make it like honda moviez
I don't think I agree.
And heres why Ethan is in my foe list.

Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla FInal Wars are still critically bad films, no matter how they are funny.
I want him to be like he is in G2K, saves the earth from attack, but destroys buildings.
This.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Anti-hero
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Godzillais#1
Ronin

Post by Godzillais#1 »

I think Godzilla should be somewhere in the middle, like he was in Godzilla 2000, where he beats the shit out of the human threatening monster, the have the millitary provoke him, blow up the military vehicles that are attacking him, then turn around and annihilate whatever city he's in.
Bill R. Kinkade

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Realistically, the 2000 or Final Wars versions would be best, basically as many others have said, an anti-hero. But I've always preferred him as a hero, especially from Terror of Mechagodzilla.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

the 2000
YAY!

or Final Wars

NAY!
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

I want the movie to be a direct sequel to TOM. Just bring back the Showa continuity.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

menschenjaeger wrote:I want the movie to be a direct sequel to TOM. Just bring back the Showa continuity.
Nah, If there going to continue anything they should start at the end of Godzilla vs Destroyah with Godzilla Jr being alive an leaving Japan to come to the U.S., Or just start let's say 10/20 years after ''Final Wars'' an have Godzilla attack Japan an feed on Nuclear Energy before traveling to the U.S. (This is assuming he actually travels to the U.S.)

Kervinle2500
Young Farmer

Post by Kervinle2500 »

I rather if he has a villainous role. Then start up as a reluctant anti-hero fighting major threats if sequels are made

Honestly he should be the threat by himself (like in the 2 films just named Godzilla), then fight a major threat of the year, since they are made yearly

KaijuSinCritic
Samurai

Post by KaijuSinCritic »

Villian is for me

The only way I see him change to anti-hero is if he fights an Evilier force like Ghidorah or Bagan

But if they are going to use someone like Mothra, then he should just stay villian throughout

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

In the original, it showed how much damage godzilla could do, all the deaths, all the destruction, no mercy. Make Godzilla just like he was in Gojira, show just what he can do, the pain he can bring along with the destruction.

Make him a living breathing reminder of the events taken place in WW2, make him unstoppible.

He must anihalate everything in his path in order to show mankind the folly of our ways.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

An Antihero like in the early Showa films or like he was in G2K.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Gojira had a depressing aspect to it, that's why I love it, the Godzilla 54 was perfect, he was the embodyment of the H-Bomb, and the rest of the Showa movies kinda forgot that. That movie showed the real damage not just to the buildings, but also the devistation to the people. If the new Godzilla movie was like that it would be awesome, and if Goji fights another monster, then it would be cool to watch him decimate the enemy, just bashing the opponent not letting up, and catching him ablaze, letting loose all of his anger, then turning his anger back on Tokyo.....

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Jomei wrote:I feel like I already posted this opinion once before, but I think Godzilla '62-'66 is the sweet spot. He was destructive--often an enemy of mankind--but not necessarily malevolent. He could, under the right circumstances, end up benefiting people by incidentally defeating a more sinister enemy for them.
I fully agree with this post - though I can't really expand on it. Enough said.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Like Cimmeran Dragon said, I wouldn't mind a heroic Godzilla. Does this mean I want him dancing, flying, doing sliding tail kicks and being campy? No, but I'd like something like we see in the later 60's films. He's not exactly a good guy, but he's the only one who's able to stop the bigger and badder monster. I think the unassuming hero role would be the best choice imo.

FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent

Post by FlamingZilla23 »

I would like to see an anti-hero type godzilla or he becomes Villian first and Good at the final battle. It's just a suggestion.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

My views on what Godzilla should be are pretty damn indecisive, honestly. But if I could make his personality for this film, especially for this audience, I'd go with something more anti-hero, an odd clash of early-Showa and Heisei. Its clear he doesn't care for humans; they are an extreme annoyance. Every attack they throw at him angers him and he responds as thus. Skyscrapers are intruders into his territory and must be eliminated. He IS an animal, after all, and animal instincts come deeply into play, especially against an enemy combatant. In that scenario, I guess one could view him as 'good', but once he takes care of his opponent, his overall attitude remains unchanged, even if we helped him defeat the monster. I, personally, cannot see the new Godzilla, presented for American audiences, resembling anything close to what we saw from 65-75.
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

Baragon990
Young Farmer

Post by Baragon990 »

Personally I think that he should be a destructive force like the 54 Film.
If he fought another monster, then he should be a hero.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Hero, but more of an anti-heroish guy, like...he's the only thing protecting the planet, but he is indifferent towards the humans that live on it, and occasionally angered by them. But maybe, MAYBE, he can sometimes be a bit more defensive of them such as in Sea Monster, Ghidorah, and Godzilla 2000. Godzilla 2000 really hit the sweet spot in temrs of his character. He was like, "You ASSHOLES, I'm trying to help this place! Fuck you Katagiri. Everyone else, you're good. For now."

Kind of like, Tokyo is HIS territory. He ALLOWS Humans to exist in it, or should I say, he TOLERATES it, but it isn't his fault if they get in his way, and he doesn't respond well to their attempts to kill him. This relationship is actually perfectly emphasized by Godzilla's final act in Godzilla 2000. People exist on his turf because he allows them to, and if he so wishes, he could kill all of them.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/