Where should he stand? (Hero or Villain)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What role should Godzilla play?

A hero.
5%
A threat to the world.
16%
A potential ally.
9%
An anti-hero.
64%
Other (please specify).
5%

Total votes: 56

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA: HERO or VILLAIN?

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

I think Godzilla should be an agressive creature who wants to be let alone while the antagonist monster is a mean creature who kills humans deliberatly.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

I'd rather him start as a villain (destroying cities but not really caring about humans one way or the other), but then going up against a monster that poses a serious threat to the entire planet. Something that I want to be portrayed in this movie is the human cast being conflicted on whether to "root," per se, for Godzilla, since he killed so many people (possibly even tying into whether or not the US was really "good" in WWII since they dropped the atomic bombs). This all leading up to the Crowning Moment of Awesome (for the human characters) when the military decides to back up Godzilla.
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Silv
Ronin

Post by Silv »

It all depends to me. If this is just gonna be a one shot deal movie, like with 1998 Godzilla, I probably won't care too much for it, as it would take a full series to really make an impact. I personally wish that they would have finished the Millenium Series before cutting it off and starting Final Wars. I really wanted to see how the story was going to progress and whether Godzilla would finally turn good(and what they had in mind for that Godzilla DNA scene after the credits of Tokyo SOS). But alas, we will never know.

So seeing as this will definitely not be a continuation of the Mil series... well... if it's going to spawn a neiw series of films(which is what I'm praying for) then Godzilla HAS to start out as bad and then slowly turn good. Ooooor.... since we have seen that happen twice already(and was probably going to happen a third time if the M Series was properly finished), how about they throw a new curve ball at us. This time have Godzilla start out as a boy scout defender of Earth, and as the series progresses, through some catalyzing event, he gets pissed off with humanity for abusing him, and then turns on us, forcing us to have to create or turn to other kaiju to try and stop him. Eh? That would be a pretty fresh idea.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

W2daERN wrote:I'd rather him start as a villain (destroying cities but not really caring about humans one way or the other), but then going up against a monster that poses a serious threat to the entire planet. Something that I want to be portrayed in this movie is the human cast being conflicted on whether to "root," per se, for Godzilla, since he killed so many people (possibly even tying into whether or not the US was really "good" in WWII since they dropped the atomic bombs). This all leading up to the Crowning Moment of Awesome (for the human characters) when the military decides to back up Godzilla.
In other words, Godzilla 2000 with some Godzilla vs. Destroyah for flavoring.
Proud father, husband, and son.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

W2daERN wrote:I'd rather him start as a villain (destroying cities but not really caring about humans one way or the other), but then going up against a monster that poses a serious threat to the entire planet. Something that I want to be portrayed in this movie is the human cast being conflicted on whether to "root," per se, for Godzilla, since he killed so many people (possibly even tying into whether or not the US was really "good" in WWII since they dropped the atomic bombs). This all leading up to the Crowning Moment of Awesome (for the human characters) when the military decides to back up Godzilla.
That was my point! :D

Dalekzilla
Ronin

Post by Dalekzilla »

I prefer it when he is treated like a wild animal. Neither good nor evil, simply a territorial beast of prey with no agenda other than survival. This is none of the aspects that made "G vs Destoroyah" so powerful. It felt honestly real when this massive force of potential destruction was nonetheless mournful at the loss of his son.

I would also like it if they would tie back into the Heisei series, at least to a degree. Having Godzilla keep coming back over and over after his supposed death makes more sense if there is an established lineage. He doesn't have to look the same, because radioactive mutation should manifest differently with each generation.

Just, please... no more victory dances or judo moves.
Bombs versus bombs, missiles versus missiles, and now a new superweapon to throw upon us all! As a scientist - no, as a human being - I can't allow that to happen!

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Dalekzilla wrote: Just, please... no more victory dances or judo moves.
You deserve a PRRRRRROMOTION!

omelettetdq3z
Yojimbo

Post by omelettetdq3z »

He should be a force of nature, destroying anything that gets in his way, and just protecting himself.
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Legion1979 wrote:He should live in a cave with sliding doors and run to the rescue of any friend who happens to have a tough time against any evil monster.

Anything less is inexcusable.
The humans could shine a light in the sky whenever they need him.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Malchik wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:He should live in a cave with sliding doors and run to the rescue of any friend who happens to have a tough time against any evil monster.

Anything less is inexcusable.
The humans could shine a light in the sky whenever they need him.
Clever comments revisiting the comparisons people have made between Godzilla and Batman?

BRILLIANT!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Living Corpse wrote:^ There really is a Godzilla cave. I'm dead f***ing serious, just watch episode 21 of Zone Fighter.
I must find it!!!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

I think he should be the anti hero,like the Heisei Godzilla
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Tyler wrote:They summon Godzilla with a buzzer, and when that doesn't work the cry of his overweight nephew.
That's --------. You'd have to eliminate every donkey in the vicinity to avoid false alarm.

GodGan
Samurai

Post by GodGan »

both...
Hai

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

^ Can you please explain as to why you think so rather than typing in just "both".
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

He should always be a villian, sure he fights other attacking monsters, but I always saw that as territory issues, or the simple fact that if Earth dies, Godzilla will die too! He fights for himself not humanity, but this is just my opinion.
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Cartoonish hero, a portrayal that hasn't been used since the Showa era. Such a depiction would certainly appeal the fans' nostagia, and would be true to Godzilla's most popular films.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Ethan wrote:Cartoonish hero, a portrayal that hasn't been used since the Showa era. Such a depiction would certainly appeal the fans' nostagia, and would be true to Godzilla's most popular films.
The style doesn't fit with modern movie standards and the movie is not going to be made just for the fans. Also Godzilla was a cartoonish hero just in two movies. And i honestly consider the ''cartoonish hero'' mannerism a mischaracterisation for Godzilla, like the rockbiter in Neverending Story 3.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Shinmwhateverfanboy wrote:Blah, blah, blah, i want gozilla to be taken seriously by people, blah, cartoons suck, make it like honda moviez
I don't think I agree.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"