Where should he stand? (Hero or Villain)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What role should Godzilla play?

A hero.
5%
A threat to the world.
16%
A potential ally.
9%
An anti-hero.
64%
Other (please specify).
5%

Total votes: 56

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Re: What personality do you want for the Big G?

Post by junkerde »

he needs to be something with impact, whether good character or bad, in time, the humans will join him in the sun. He will do wonders.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Well, he has to start off as a villain.

but i would like to see it implied that he's only causing destruction because he's traveling to fight an actual blood thirsty monster. I don't want Godzilla to be a blood thirsty villain. He should only be defending himself against the military attacking him.

Godzilla should try to go out to sea after he defeats the monster. the military could attack again. and Godzilla in a pissed off rage just destroys everything. Then, then the main character could look at him surronded in rumble, Godzilla would see him, but decide to spare him because he's not an evil creature.

I want the main character to realize all of this in his narrative and see that Godzilla is a tragic creature.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Llante
Monsterland Worker

Post by Llante »

Intelligence wise, his intelligence should at least be equal to that of a smart animal, like a dolphin or octopus; so that the fights can be more interesting, the story can be more intriguing, and the character can be more three-dimensional.

If they make Godzilla too evil, then audiences might have trouble sympathizing with him. That isn't exactly a good thing for the central character of a potential franchise, for if he is too evil, audiences will be repulsed by him.

Then again, making him a super hero reminiscent of the 70's films wouldn't exactly drive away the conceived cheesiness associated with the franchise. I'm not saying this should be "dark and edgy", I am simply stating that going to a extreme isn't good.

What I am trying to say is that a balanced personality, partially animal and partially human, but not outright heroic or villainous, is a good option. With a fair dose of tragedy in his story.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ That could work, but I wouldn't want them to over do it and make him act like a curious dog or big cat. The people part really rubs me the wrong way, I don't want Godzilla going up to people just out of curiosity, we were the ones who did this to him and he should respond to us accordingly. This isn't Gino who sticks his head right in someone's face to have a closer look, only to be blinded by a camera flash. Yes, Godzilla is an animal but he shouldn't act like a normal curious animal. When an enemy monster knocks him down, he shouldn't be shocked or wide eyed, he should be even more pissed off than he already was and retaliate immediately after getting up instead of him thinking "wow this guy actually knocked me down, I am in shock right now". No, when he gets back up he be thinking to himself "hell no, nobody knocks me down and lives to tell about it, this guy is about to get himself a new asshole torn for him!" He shouldn't be blinded by the cameras or hurt by their flash, he shouldn't even care about our measly cameras and go straight for us because he just doesn't like us. Give Godzilla a personality that will blow our minds when we see him, but don't turn him into a "curious" giant animal like Gino, he should only be curious when he sees another monster and think "what the fuck is that?", and then start attacking it shortly after when the monster either attacks him, or roars a challenge. Same goes for weapons that can withstand more than one of his atomic rays.

#BotM

Mr. MADNESS
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. MADNESS »

Most fans will always see big G and other giant monster movies as humors. A dark and edgy movie won't change that. Making a DnE giant monster movie in this day age is pointless. The only time big G attack humans is when they give him a reason to attack them. In most of the movie Godzilla is mining his own business, until humans either attack him or do something to piss him off. So I don't blame big G for acting like a brick toward mankind.

As for his treatment toward other monster. HEY! Don't start nothing won't be nothing. Godzilla is the best at what he does and what he does is BAAAAAD things man. :mrgreen:

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

^What movies are you watching?
In almost all Godzilla films. Godzilla just shows up and starts smashing buildings for no good reason. Without being provoked.
It's one of the things that bugs me about these films. Godzilla goes out of his way to seek out buildings and destroy them for no good reason.
That's just silly.

Godzilla would also have no idea that humans were responsible for irradiating him. He's not a scientist.
So that's not a good reason for him to seek out humans either.

This is one of the silliest flaws in the Japanese films. And it should be corrected if doing a serious version.
He should only go on the attack if the humans start shooting at him first.
Otherwise, He should logically steer clear of humans because they are simply annoying to be around. Like bees are annoying to humans.
That way we don't have to kill him. And we can have film sequels.

-ScottA

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

Godzilla165 wrote:^ That could work, but I wouldn't want them to over do it and make him act like a curious dog or big cat. The people part really rubs me the wrong way, I don't want Godzilla going up to people just out of curiosity, we were the ones who did this to him and he should respond to us accordingly. This isn't Gino who sticks his head right in someone's face to have a closer look, only to be blinded by a camera flash. Yes, Godzilla is an animal but he shouldn't act like a normal curious animal. When an enemy monster knocks him down, he shouldn't be shocked or wide eyed, he should be even more pissed off than he already was and retaliate immediately after getting up instead of him thinking "wow this guy actually knocked me down, I am in shock right now". No, when he gets back up he be thinking to himself "hell no, nobody knocks me down and lives to tell about it, this guy is about to get himself a new asshole torn for him!" He shouldn't be blinded by the cameras or hurt by their flash, he shouldn't even care about our measly cameras and go straight for us because he just doesn't like us. Give Godzilla a personality that will blow our minds when we see him, but don't turn him into a "curious" giant animal like Gino, he should only be curious when he sees another monster and think "what the skreeonk is that?", and then start attacking it shortly after when the monster either attacks him, or roars a challenge. Same goes for weapons that can withstand more than one of his atomic rays.
I second dis
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

ScottA wrote: It's one of the things that bugs me about these films. Godzilla goes out of his way to seek out buildings and destroy them for no good reason.
That's just silly.
Maybe he's just a dick.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I would be happy with a Godzilla 64/Heisei type of personality. He shouldn't be just mindless badassery and violence, but also display real emotion. That's what makes Godzilla, and kaiju in general, different from most other movie monsters.

-Kaiju-King42
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

*Looks at posts who are signed*
Dammit! I hate the signing thing.
*Takes Kaiju-King42 and Chris55's soul*
I think Godzilla destroys buildings because it's just fun, why else would a giant monster do that?
Make it similar to G2K's personality.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
Eunectes wrote:"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"
So funimation is doing the dialogue?
LOL, someone got the reference.

Tbh, either he's a hero or not, imo. A hero in a sense that he destroys cities whenever he wants but kills whoever gets in his way, or a villain whom defeats whatever, and destroys whenever he wants. He doesn't stop.

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Connor wrote:I understand what you're trying to say, HeiseiGodzilla117, but what I'm trying to get across is that Godzilla isn't exactly a nice guy.
And that's relevant to my points HOW, exactly? I never said he was a "nice guy." Your points are entirely irrelevant when it comes to the ones I made.

My initial idea:
-Godzilla defends Earth.
-Godzilla is vengeful towards humans.
-Godzilla protects his interests.
-Godzilla is not a villain or an anti-hero. He's just a douche defending the earth.

Your response (perhaps meant as something vaguely resembling a rebuttal?):
-In the past Godzilla has been a dick.
-He's not protective of humans.

What exactly is the point of responding with something so irrelvant to the content in my post?
But don't make him an overdouche like those jersey shore Oompa loompa wannabes or you have a problem.
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Whatever his personality is, I just hope he's more animated than he's been for most of the Heisei and Millenium films. Part of why I like GMK Goji so much is expressive and animated he is!

pta917
Xilien Halfling

Post by pta917 »

I want him to be neither good or bad he does what he does because its like instinc and he should fight other monsters not to defend humans but to defend his terretory.
Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Well I qouldn't want him to be the complete Bad guy. We had enough of that during the 90's. But then I don't if we want him to be like the Hulk or something

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Godzilla should be aggressive and intelligent in nature - but I think he should, to an extent, be unrelatable. I wouldn't worry about making him sympathetic yet. I think LP should focus on presenting Godzilla as a mysterious, almost alien force, similar to Gojira.

PygmyZilla
Samurai

Post by PygmyZilla »

I would like a Godzilla who while being relatively intelligent would also be an unstoppable force of nature bordering on malicious.
It is truly sad when people decide it is best to abandon common sense.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

You know, after giving this some thought.. The Hulk would be a good personality for him.

Just an angry thing being picked on because he's a monster.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Any pics of monster x?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"