3D vs 2D

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gzilla46
Futurian

Re: 3D vs 2D

Post by gzilla46 »

For me, IMAX 3D is the way to go for this movie.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

onechildleftbehind wrote:im just going to go to the imax regular, not a fan of not made for 3D post 3D conversion movies, not worth the money for the small pop.
I think you'll be out of luck if you want just IMAX 2D. I'm pretty confident that all the IMAX screens will be showing this only in 3D, at least theaters that are joined with IMAX, like the AMC theater I go to regularly.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

IMAX 3D tickets at the theater I go to are $15.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

2D. First off I hate 3D and secondly McCreevy said he shot it as a 2D film because he hates 3D. Enough reason for me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I don't really care too much about 3D, surely a fun extra bonus in the right style of a movie, but I'd rather just focus on the film and not things coming through the screen randomly.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Pacific Rim was my first 3D movie and I really enjoyed it. Since I rarely go to the movies, I'll be seeing Godzilla in 3D. Any future screenings will be in 2D, if available.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

I've heard from people who watched 300 that the Godzilla trailer looked very good in 3D. They said for a converted 3D they compare it to Gravity, in that it will be best viewed on the biggest screen as possible.
Last edited by Underworld54 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Bluezilla 65
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla 65 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:I'll do 3D, 2D, and XD just to see which format is best. Then I'll watch on best format until then.
That's my plan as well. I actually preferred Pacific Rim in 2D. The sound system is as important to the experience as the screen to me.

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

I'm usually able to score free tickets to advance screenings (one of the perks of living in a big city), so it depends on what format the advance screening will be - probably 3D digital IMAX. Then I'll try a regular 2D screening later.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I live near a large theater that, judging from the high interest in this film*, would be insane not to carry it in one of the 3D IMAX theaters they have. Then I think I'll take a more humble approach and see it in 2D

*in about a week the Godzila trailer's website had 6-8x the viewcount than the Spiderman and X-men sites, who had been out over a month

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I'll watch it first in 2D, then if I hear that the 3D is really good then I'll probably go see it in 3D.

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

Godzilla628 wrote:I'll watch it first in 2D, then if I hear that the 3D is really good then I'll probably go see it in 3D.
Yep. This is also my exact plans. Except I'm not too keen on 3D at all. But if it's good in 3D, then I'll consider seeing it.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

I would prefer 2d. I don't know why, I just do.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Imax 3D the first time, and then Imax 2D for the other viewings.

#BotM

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I plan on IMAX 3D and then 2D for some other times. If anyone here gets headaches watching some 3D films, drop me a PM and I'll let you know how rough the 3D is this time around

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

If 3D was more effective than it often is, I wouldn't mind seeing it. But the IMAX theater I'll be attending might not be offering mere 2D IMAX, so I'll probably end up watching in in 3D anyway. Although I'll definitely see it multiple times, lest I end up absolutely despising the film.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I'll se it in 2D first, but if I love it then i'll see it in 3D.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

ScootaVaran wrote:I'll se it in 2D first, but if I love it then i'll see it in 3D.
Basically this. I don't want to blow a bunch of money on a big imax 3d version and then have the movie suck.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

My son and I will go to IMAX 3D if our local IMAX has it. I emailed them a few weeks ago about it and they didn't know at that time.

Now, as far as IMAX in general....in all honesty, all it is, is a BIG screen. That's it. It does not look or sound any better than a good DLP theater.

And no theater looks OR sounds as good as my Panasonic Plasma and HT setup, in any way, shape or form. Not even close, honestly. No projection screen of any kind or size looks as good as a good HDTV, and any commercial theater is simply too large to really "fill" with volume like you can in a home living room...much less a room as cavernous as an IMAX is.

However...this IS Godzilla we're talking about. I'm going to see it the first showing that's available, and given the scope of a "giant monster movie", I feel like seeing it on "giant movie screen" might be worthwhile. So IMAX it is, if they have it.

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

I have every intention of getting a free pass to an advance screening, so whatever format that screening is in will be the first time I see it. Usually at the Regal Cinema in my city, advance screenings for 3D IMAX Digital movies use that format for the screening. It's possible that Regal might have a screening in one of its RPX theaters (basically a clone of digital IMAX owned by Regal), but since the studio decides the format of the advance screenings, I'm pretty sure it will be 3D IMAX.

Also, in regard to IMAX, I haven't heard anything about any "true IMAX" footage being shot for Godzilla with IMAX cameras. So I assume that any "true IMAX" theaters (as opposed to the converted "digital IMAX" theaters found in most regular cinemas) will not be showing any true IMAX footage like the Chris Nolan Batman movies did.