Godzilla's height part 3

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

How tall is Godzilla in this movie?

50m
No votes
100m
19%
120-150m
56%
150-200 m
19%
200+ m
6%

Total votes: 36

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla's height part 3

Post by KotM311 »

fakehedorah wrote:well hes a lot BIGGER than the showa version.

http://postimg.org/image/mg0b6e1c9/

250 m at least

Actually, the bomb looks to be around 9-10ft long, so I think this is more accurate

InstinctiveGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by InstinctiveGigan »

I think we can at least all agree this Godzilla is much more massive. He may be just slightly taller than the others but he's clearly bigger in mass and overall size. Height isn't everything.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Biollante is a she. :P
My life...is a lie.
#GiganConfirmed. Spread it, embrace it, Legendary will make it. Do it now!

Sir Butterbeans
G-Force Personnel

Post by Sir Butterbeans »

InstinctiveGigan wrote:I think we can at least all agree this Godzilla is much more massive. He may be just slightly taller than the others but he's clearly bigger in mass and overall size. Height isn't everything.
Quote of the Week...
My Favorite Album...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVV_3Z1mp_c&app=desktop

Josh Homme wrote:Fear is the hand that pulls your strings
a useless toy, pitiful plaything
TK's Resident Gorillaz and QOTSA Fan!

blaze
Samurai

Post by blaze »

If that size chart is true then we can expect massive scale inconsistencies in the movie.... oh well, nothing's perfect, I'm sure I will still love it.

valewalker
Ronin

Post by valewalker »

I don't see the inconsistecies myself. :| He being just a bit higher than Heisei is about right imo. The Empire chart does a good job of showing just how taller the Heisei Godzilla is in relation to all other incarnations (save FW). I think people are just underestimating how big that is. HeiseiGoji is HUGE. Legendary's is a bit more than double the height of the classic Showa version. That shot with the beach it's just playing a perspective trick on some people's eyes. Those palm trees are obvously not the super tall ones. Folks are saying he looks much bigger in that scene than in others, but my eyes don't see it that way. Size perseption is all about reference, and I suppose these out of context screenshots and 2sec scenes aren't the best for that. :P

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

They should of just made him SO big you wouldn't be able to notice any inconsistencies between shots.

Problem solved. It'd be a short movie, sure, but at least people wouldn't complain about size inconsistencies that we can't even determine yet.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Unit~NoA wrote:Before seeing Empire's article, I was ok with the idea of a 600ft. (or below) Godzilla, going by old script and trailers. And never saw the harm of it either. Was looking forward to getting that 12' NECA Godzilla too, but I guess I'll save my wallet this time, lol.

So what if he was 200m? Would that kill his image for you guys?
Why on earth would him not being 600 feet keep you from buying his toy? :-?
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Gawdziller wrote:Now we can finally get the Godzilla X Unicron X Galactus movie we've all been begging for!
No. Godzilla must be BIGGER THAN EVERYTHING

G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

The height is fine and I doubt we will have serious inconsistencies. First off, any comparisons using a tree size or bomb size are flawed since you can't confirm their original size to start with. Secondly, Godzilla is in the distance tsing from the ocean. The camera angle skews how far back he is or isn't. In short, the perception is off.

Also, we know his confirmed size at 350 feet. You can do a lot more with CGI that will capture the mass of G than with suitmation. The camera angles are all lower in the trailer and from the human perspective. Usually we have few scenes go those in G films...there is nothing inconsistent about it.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

Ok ill admit i thought Godzilla was pushing the 600 ft. range in the ocean shot but like everyone else is saying we dont kno how far he was and how big those trees are so who's to say the heisei or even showa Godzilla wouldnt look somewhat big in a similar shot. And it's not just his height its how big he is all around. The showa Godzilla started to look a bit smaller after id say 1964 because he was slimmed down and didnt look as intimidating.

This Godzilla size works just right. not saying i didnt want him a litttttle bigger but clearly he doesnt need to be because what we've seen so far is bloody impressive. The heisie Godzilla was massive too, i think one of the limitations of conveying his size was because toho couldnt add as much detail to him and the models, correct me if im wrong but part of the reason they reduced his size again was to make more detailed city models they couldnt do with the larger scale without cgi.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

All I know is when I saw this

I was like he's big enough.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

blaze
Samurai

Post by blaze »

@ valewalker
I didn't take into account the beach scene, perspective is very important there as not only the bomb is a lot closer to us but the tree line also appears to be farther to our pov than the bomb. I meant him walking next to that building from the teaser and you being able to see it at all instead of just being completely covered by the building with its head being some 100m down from our perspective, or that at 107m, even if we assume the water only reaches its knees, it could pass below the deck of the Golden Gate bridge without even touching it which will look very anticlimactic compared to what trespasser did in Pacific Rim IMO.

At that height they have to disregard scale completely when interacting with those landmarks so what's the point of giving him an official height at all. I was very aware that the original Godzilla and Millenium's are small compared to the Heise one, 4 buses lined up in a row are as long as the original Godzilla is tall, 3 F22 lined up one in a row are 7m longer than what the original Godzilla is tall, the torso of the original Godzilla is probably no taller than the length of a single F22 fighter jet. But I'm probably rambling at this point and at the end I agree with your point.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

blaze wrote:If that size chart is true then we can expect massive scale inconsistencies in the movie.... oh well, nothing's perfect, I'm sure I will still love it.

Don´t know about what height he will look in the movie, 350ft is off compared to what he looked in the first trailer, maybe they didn´t care about the right scale there.

My wish was 400ft height for different reasons, 350ft is not small at all but at least I feel it´s just not enough... :)

binley.o
Yojimbo

Post by binley.o »

didn't the empire mag say 350 ft?
i drive a pick up truck and i drink a lot, i should make a song about it

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

binley.o wrote:didn't the empire mag say 350 ft?
I don't have the issue of Empire, since it's not out yet in the States. However, going by the height chart provided in the magazine, you can kinda guess his height from there.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

From the Empire magazine.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Damn Hanna Barbera Godzilla was a beast!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Godzilla21 wrote:Damn Hanna Barbera Godzilla was a beast!
You should take a look at Marvel Godzilla at full-size.

Also, HB Godzilla constantly changed sizes between shots.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

starsteam wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Damn Hanna Barbera Godzilla was a beast!
You should take a look at Marvel Godzilla at full-size.

Also, HB Godzilla constantly changed sizes between shots.
Yeah, he must have learned that from Jet Jaguar :P Though with the reveal that Godzilla is 350 Feet Tall, I gotta say I like it and its perfect for the modern age.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

fakehedorah
Ronin

Post by fakehedorah »

KotM311 wrote:
fakehedorah wrote:well hes a lot BIGGER than the showa version.

http://postimg.org/image/mg0b6e1c9/

250 m at least

Actually, the bomb looks to be around 9-10ft long, so I think this is more accurate

http://i59.tinypic.com/ilj76r.jpg

yeah, but look at the palm trees.
Spoiler:
also, i have a theory that the godzilla on the picture is the first godzilla, who might be a 300 m tall beast until he gets nuked and dies(the bones in the trailer) sort of like gamera in gamera the brave and the new godzilla in the present day is much smaller.