Subtext Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

Subtext Speculation Thread

Post by SimeonAssassin »

As knowledgeable Godzilla fanboys(& girls) as we are, we know very well about the deeper meanings of the original '54 film. About a creature, scarred on the inside & out, that turns man's atomic wrath against itself.

Now, in 2014, we have a Godzilla, that pre-existed the U.S. Nuclear tests, unaltered (as far as I can tell) by the attacks.

What this tells, me, is that they are abandoning the original concept of Gojira in favor of a new subtext.

What I think this subtext is, is as follows:

In the modern age of man's technological and militarily capability, Godzilla represents something that is immune to the imposition of our will upon nature. A creature that takes on the worst and best mankind can throw at it, and triumphs. That even in today's world, where mankind has conquered the globe, and sends eyes to capture images of the universe, where we have achieved almost science-fiction levels of technology, the pure, ancient, power of nature can still humble us, and make us consider the "arrogance of man." This avatar of nature's will is something that commands fear, and even reverence.

Any thoughts on the subtext of the film? Come on, I know you've got some.

Ghost_Ultramantis
GPN Volunteer

Re: Subtext Speculation Thread

Post by Ghost_Ultramantis »

3 themes:

1. Personification of humanity's unnatural, destructive tendencies; nature's unstoppable fury; the consequences of our arrogance and need for control.

There is a bit of evolution on this theme, I think. You will see the theme of genetic tampering/playing God in conjunction with nuclear annihilation.

2. Restorer of balance, nature's champion.

3. Antihero; admired by the child in us who loves the power and beauty and control that comes from being an apex predator in a scary world.

I think Godzilla will represent all 3 at certain points in the movie. My speculative ramblings over in the spoilers thread address all three, albeit in a lucid bit of ranting.
I hope Wanigumagoji's fighting style lives up to his design.

Ghost_Ultramantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ghost_Ultramantis »

onechildleftbehind wrote:im glad he's an anti-hero, and not the evil bastard he was in gmk

But he was soooo awesome looking and such an uncompromisingly cool, remorseless b :g2k: astard in GMK.
I hope Wanigumagoji's fighting style lives up to his design.

SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

Post by SimeonAssassin »

Ghost_Ultramantis wrote:3 themes:

1. Personification of humanity's unnatural, destructive tendencies; nature's unstoppable fury; the consequences of our arrogance and need for control.

There is a bit of evolution on this theme, I think. You will see the theme of genetic tampering/playing God in conjunction with nuclear annihilation.

2. Restorer of balance, nature's champion.

3. Antihero; admired by the child in us who loves the power and beauty and control that comes from being an apex predator in a scary world.

I think Godzilla will represent all 3 at certain points in the movie. My speculative ramblings over in the spoilers thread address all three, albeit in a lucid bit of ranting.
1] I think that the MUTO's will better play the part of humanity's tendencies, being the result of mankind's scientific arrogance, as inferred by the plot synopsis. Though attaching that concept to Godzilla as well, is inescapable.

2] This, like stated before, is what I think the main thrust of the subtext will be about, that nature is still, beyond the complete control of the hand of Man.

3] This is something of a wider appeal, especially to younger boys. One could also attach this appeal to characters like The Hulk, Wolverine, and one of my personal fav's, The Punisher.