The Official Godzilla (2014) Review Collection Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: The Official Godzilla (2014) Review Collection Thread

Post by Dr. Professor »

Best review I've seen of this movie so far.

Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

That review was great :lol: *claps*

prs54
Ronin

Post by prs54 »

A Movie Review for Warner Brothers/Legendary Pictures film “Godzilla”

For years I have been waiting for a Godzilla film that uses the CGI technology that was used in the “Jurassic Park” films and that would distinguish itself in the Godzilla filmography.

The plot was a good one for a Godzilla film. Godzilla was the good guy monster and was not hostile to humans. He was in character. This film was Godzilla for adults, not a children’s film.

Godzilla has very little screen time in this film. When he does appear it was at night or in the fog. You never really got a good look at him.

When you did see him he was obese. His roar sounded more like the T-Rex from “Jurassic Park” not the Toho Studio iconic roar.

The fun of Godzilla films is the brawls with the bad guy monsters. Both the Honolulu and San Francisco fights with the MUTO scenes were cut from the film. I walked out of the theater after the San Francisco fight was not shown. That was about 30 minutes before the end of the film.

Godzilla films are supposed to be fun. This film took itself just a little too seriously for a Godzilla movie. There was theme music for Godzilla in Toho studio films. This new film has none of the theme music.

This is not the review that fans want to hear. I am so sorry. Got “King Kong vs. Godzilla” on Blu-ray to make up for the disappointment with this new film.

Give this film 1 star out of 5 stars.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

le epic trollingman face
In my opinion, of course.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

HannibalBarca wrote:le epic trollingman face
Indeed and I found a perfect picture for that new guy! :lol:

Btw in Showa films Godzilla WAS a good guy even to Jet Jaguar in Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla series before it ended. Plus in the late Showa series Godzilla WAS tended to target kids that's why Toho made him a good guy and kids like my mother, still loves the movies despite if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Rewatch your Goji movies plz. ;)

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

prs54 wrote:A Movie Review for Warner Brothers/Legendary Pictures film “Godzilla”

For years I have been waiting for a Godzilla film that uses the CGI technology that was used in the “Jurassic Park” films and that would distinguish itself in the Godzilla filmography.

The plot was a good one for a Godzilla film. Godzilla was the good guy monster and was not hostile to humans. He was in character. This film was Godzilla for adults, not a children’s film.

Godzilla has very little screen time in this film. When he does appear it was at night or in the fog. You never really got a good look at him.

When you did see him he was obese. His roar sounded more like the T-Rex from “Jurassic Park” not the Toho Studio iconic roar.

The fun of Godzilla films is the brawls with the bad guy monsters. Both the Honolulu and San Francisco fights with the MUTO scenes were cut from the film. I walked out of the theater after the San Francisco fight was not shown. That was about 30 minutes before the end of the film.

Godzilla films are supposed to be fun. This film took itself just a little too seriously for a Godzilla movie. There was theme music for Godzilla in Toho studio films. This new film has none of the theme music.

This is not the review that fans want to hear. I am so sorry. Got “King Kong vs. Godzilla” on Blu-ray to make up for the disappointment with this new film.

Not to rain on your parade but...u do know there WAS a fight shown in San Francisco right? But oh wait...probably not since you walked out on it.
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

prs54 wrote:A Movie Review for Warner Brothers/Legendary Pictures film “Godzilla”

This seems very trolly. I can't say that it's a troll but I have concerns.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Comments like
and
I walked out of the theater after the San Francisco fight was not shown. That was about 30 minutes before the end of the film.
pretty much scream "Troll" in giant red letters.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

nani sore wrote:Here we go again...:roll:
I've already established I do not have an opinion on the movie therefore I cannot agree or disagree with anybody. What that means is I am not pulling a dissenting opinions = troll move.

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Dr. Professor wrote:Best review I've seen of this movie so far.
Is it the best review because it simply validates your own opinion of the movie by being overwhelmingly positive, or because it takes a truly objective look at the movie and doesnt skim over the negatives?

I'm guessing it's not the 2nd one.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Godzilla 2000 wrote: I'm guessing it's not the 2nd one.
No offense, but that's pretty fucking rude bro.

I'm guessing that you're not understanding that by stating his opinion is flawed for being biased you are admitting to your own biases, right?

I'm guessing that unless a review "doesn't skim over the negatives" (which must mean negatives that YOU perceive to exist), then it is only worthy of your contempt? Cute.

But hey, thanks for reminding me of why I don't want to be talking to "Godzilla fans" about this film...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

I guess I'll just go ahead and re-post this here, since I got talking about on another, strictly FILM-related blog, but here we go:

Sometimes, with all the very specific and subjective issues many people are having with the film, I wonder if it’s symptomatic of trying something “modern” with something that is already “established”…? I mean, there was no chance in Hell that this film was going to be some kind of perfect distillation of sixty years worth of a film series. How can you account for the very specific times and eras where a flying Godzilla can work and be satisfying while in the same series, we’re supposed to feel deep emotion and dread when he appears in other eras with different political and social subtext weaved within? Can you?

Do you just cater to specific expectations? Do you cater to the Godzilla fan who wants to see wall to wall monster beam-fighting? Do you sympathize with the “old-school” and make Godzilla a being that the audience WANTS to see eradicated? Do you follow the obvious comic-book style roads that “superhero dinosaur” take you down? Arch-enemies, supporting casts, and a black-and-white view to giant monsters who destroy entire cities (’cause if you go that route, you gotta have them wreck a bunch of shit, right?)…?

Sure, I guess any of that shit could work with the right people and the right effort, but…AND this is a huge fucking “but”…BUT if you want to see a Godzilla film done with all the bells and whistles and distribution and saturation that you expect from the “modern” cinematic market, then, I’m so very terribly sorry for you, BUT you don’t understand that to have that level of penetration, you can’t automatically aim for the narrowest path.

The film made concessions, it danced agilely along a sixty-year long tightrope, and it stuck the landing at something that, AS A LIFE-LONG GODZILLA FAN (emphasis, please), I have nothing to feel sorry about or embarrassed about when it comes to this film, and if it shows a larger audience where the value is in a property that I hold in high-esteem and opens the entire can for a new generation…

…I’m sorry, I lost myself. What do I have to complain about again?
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Red Letter Media reviews G'14 and G'98: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-b ... illa-2014/

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just got back from viewing the film a second time. A lot of you were right about being required to view it more than once to ingest it properly.

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Captain Aktion wrote: No offense, but that's pretty fucking rude bro.

I'm guessing that you're not understanding that by stating his opinion is flawed for being biased you are admitting to your own biases, right?

I'm guessing that unless a review "doesn't skim over the negatives" (which must mean negatives that YOU perceive to exist), then it is only worthy of your contempt? Cute.

But hey, thanks for reminding me of why I don't want to be talking to "Godzilla fans" about this film...
If a review is nothing but praise, it is no longer a review; it's a commercial.

I mean come on, Cap. Even you have to admit that linking to a purely positive review and calling it "the best review I've seen of the movie" is a little silly.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

I saw Godzilla (2014), where do I put my review of it?

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I don't know how many of you visited this site years and years ago, but it was one of the first websites that I frequented. Barry's Temple of Godzilla updated recently with a review of Godzilla 2014.

http://godzillatemple.com/

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

SG-17 wrote:I don't know how many of you visited this site years and years ago, but it was one of the first websites that I frequented. Barry's Temple of Godzilla updated recently with a review of Godzilla 2014.

http://godzillatemple.com/
Yes several of us noticed last week. Wish Barry would come to the boards.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

prs54 wrote:… I walked out of the theater after the San Francisco fight was not shown. That was about 30 minutes before the end of the film.

…Give this film 1 star out of 5 stars.
A) A person that leaves a movie before it's finished really has no right to review it.
B) Had you bothered to stay, you'd know that there was a San Francisco fight.

I've got to guess that you're just trolling, yes?

EDIT: And now I see that post was about four days old; so I've just managed to get egg on my face and successfully made myself look like a Goddamned idiot! :lol:

EDIT 2:
Captain Aktion wrote:<snip>
Well said, my good sir!
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Sun May 25, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

prs54
Ronin

Post by prs54 »

It is being reported that the same Director is going to do the next Godzilla film. That is good news that is bad news.

I have revised my initial movie review. Added some additional comments after giving the film further thought and talking with other Godzilla fans.

This film has been popular with casual movie goers but mixed reviews with hard core Godzilla fans.

Would consider attending the 2nd film if there is a better balance of action and story line.

Revised movie review...

A Movie Review for Warner Brothers/Legendary Pictures film “Godzilla”

The plot was a good one for a Godzilla film. Godzilla was the good guy monster and was not hostile to humans. He was in character. This film was Godzilla for adults, not a children’s film. Godzilla did have a humanity quality to him in this film. The MUTO was a good adversary monster to challenge Godzilla. It was capable of emitting an EMP.

Give this film 2 stars out of 5 stars.
Last edited by prs54 on Tue May 27, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.