Godzilla's height part 2, re-poll

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What height will Godzilla be in the new movie?

Less than 100m/328'
2%
100m-150m/328'-492'
55%
150m-200m/492'-656'
26%
200m+/656'+
17%

Total votes: 94

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla's height part 2, re-poll

Post by Unit~NoA »

Image Calling it now, scale accurate....so deal with it 8-)

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I hope he's that big. Would be great!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

Jomei wrote:Gareth Edwards disagrees. He specifically said they were careful not to make him so big he couldn't be hidden. There's no hiding a Godzilla whose leg is taller than any of the buildings around him.
Some parts of the movie might take place in the Himalayas for all we know. Just joking

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Jomei wrote:Gareth Edwards disagrees. He specifically said they were careful not to make him so big he couldn't be hidden. There's no hiding a Godzilla whose leg is taller than any of the buildings around him.
Ya.... We've known this for many months.

Would still be awesome if he were this big.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Jomei wrote:Except it would be horrible for storytelling and conveying any sort of relationship between people and the monster.

It's only awesome in the "omg teh king teh biggest teh strongest" sense.
I disagree. Godzilla has never been this tall so how do we know it would be bad for storytelling?
SpaceG92 wrote:

blaze
Samurai

Post by blaze »

I'm just gonna leave this here to remind you something about Godzilla posters....

Edit: Living Corpse beat me to it.
Last edited by blaze on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Oh shit here we go with the "He's going to be 400m tall crap". A poster is meant to exaggerate, to lure one into the movie, it is not meant to be 100% accurate.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Jomei wrote:Except it would be horrible for storytelling and conveying any sort of relationship between people and the monster.

I disagree. Godzilla has never been this tall so how do we know it would be bad for storytelling?
Yep so glad Godzilla was so big that he didn't even have to fight Monster X, he just stepped on him. Movie over, roll credits. :roll:

Jesus Christ kid, he just told you why in the very post you quoted. Do you wanna see Godzilla smash cities and fight monsters, or do you want him to just step on everything like there's bugs so there is no fight? Boring ass sounding movie if you ask me.
Haha kid? I'm older than you buddy trust me.

And I KNOW Godzilla won't be that big. I merely said it would be cool if he was that big. We already know he's going to be about 107 meters. All movie monster posters make the characters look bigger. Do you think Jason Voorhees was the size of New York when the posters for that film depicted him as that size? NO! Just for effect. So posting old posters showing Godzilla as 5000 feet tall is irrelevant because we know he won't be that big, I just would like to see him bigger than the usual 300 foot range.

And Godzilla DOES step on everything like they are bugs! Have you seen a Godzilla movie? A tank is a bug to Godzilla in the Showa, Heisei, and Millenium era. 50 meters, 100 meters, 55 meters, doesn't matter. There have been plenty of Godzilla movies where he doesn't smash anything at all and I bet you still enjoy those movies :)
SpaceG92 wrote:

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Think his real height will be something like this

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Jomei wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

I could turn that logic back on your statement that it would be "awesome." He's never been that tall, so how do you know it would be awesome?

It would be bad for storytelling because at a certain point, creatures can become too huge to have any relation to humans. Moments like in Godzilla 1984/5 in which characters see Godzilla's eyes through the window of a skyscraper or in Biollante when the soldier fires into Godzilla's mouth become virtually impossible. No longer will Godzilla look into a building and fire his atomic breath on the soldier from the Pacific whom he previously saved.

There's not as much dramatic potential in Godzilla's kneecap.
Well then Jomei there are flaws in both our arguments then. In my eyes I'd like to see a truly gigantic and terrifying Godzilla and I think it would be awesome. But I have nothing to base it on. You say it would be bad for storytelling but you really have nothing to base it on.

When I go to a Godzilla movie, I really don't care about interaction with humans and Godzilla. If I want to see human interaction I will watch King Kong. Godzilla is about destruction and mayhem. I don't think that general audiences really care about that either. I understand where you are coming from it's just not important to me as Godzilla fan. We just have different tastes. I personally would rather see an epic Godzilla that towers over cities than have a eye to eye stare down with someone.
SpaceG92 wrote:

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

I too don´t care or like Godzilla interacting with humans, I like to see him interact with buildings, military vehicles and MONSTERS

force of nature comes to my mind... humans are just there - not even playballs

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Jomei wrote:I explained what I was basing it on, though. So I half agree with you when you say both our arguments are based on nothing.

edit: I mean, if Godzilla is as big as he looks in that poster, we're talking about "mayhem and destruction" on the dramatic level of Godzilla vs Bambi. In other words, everything is crushed in a matter of moments. If everything is THAT miniscule to Godzilla, it's not as interesting to watch the clash between beast and civilization.
OK how do you know we can't have human interaction if Godzilla was that big? Remember in Gamera 3 when Gamera flew between the two fighter pilots in mid air? That was a cool piece of interaction. And innovative in my opinion. With that being accomplished who says we can't have a similar thing happen in this film?

Everything would not be crushed in a matter of moments. Make the other monsters just as big as Godzilla. Give the military a weapon that can slow him down. There are ways to make things work. If we can make giant radioactive monsters than we can come up with other plot devices.

In all honesty, I don't think general audiences are about human interaction with Godzilla. You ask the basic person going into Godzilla what they want to see, I think that "human interaction" is going to rank quite low. Monster fights, city destruction, will rank at the top.
KotM311 wrote:I too don´t care or like Godzilla interacting with humans, I like to see him interact with buildings, military vehicles and MONSTERS

force of nature comes to my mind... humans are just there - not even playballs
Agree 100%
Living Corpse wrote: Don't care, you're a kid to me.
You know just because you don't agree with me doesn't give you the right to be rude to me. Debates can happen without name calling. I am being very civil.
Living Corpse wrote:I just violently face-palmed myself several times. No exaggeration.

No he doe not. He does not step on the Empire State building, he walks through it or tears it down. No he does not step on King Ghidorah, he fights him and throw him around. No he does not step on Tokyo Tower, he bends it and throws it down. No he does not step on Tokyo, he walks through it.
I was speaking in terms of military hardware. You didn't read my next sentence I guess. Against all military hardware, tanks, masers, jets, they are all small fish to him. He steps on them. Even as tall as he was in that poster he couldn't step on the Empire State Building. If he fought King Ghidorah at that size, they would make King Ghidorah bigger. Just like in 1991.
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Living Corpse wrote:Wasn't it confirmed months ago he's only gonna be something like 105 or 106 meters tall?
Yes. I said that on the last page when I was telling you that I know what his real height is going to be I just would like to see him bigger.
SpaceG92 wrote:

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Living Corpse wrote:Wasn't it confirmed months ago he's only gonna be something like 105 or 106 meters tall?

I don´t think it was confirmed, just a magazine came out with the number - no citation, nothing officially confirmed

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

KotM311 wrote:Think his real height will be something like this

http://i60.tinypic.com/m73msj.jpg
If that's what we end up with, I think it would be in the sweet spot of being big enough to tower over most buildings while being small enough to work, plot/character wise, in a city.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The leaked script once mentioned Godzilla's chest...
Spoiler:
coming up to Golden Gate Bridge, the part where all the cars cross, don't know the correct term, lol.
How big would that be in meters?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
KotM311 wrote:Think his real height will be something like this

http://i60.tinypic.com/m73msj.jpg
If that's what we end up with, I think it would be in the sweet spot of being big enough to tower over most buildings while being small enough to work, plot/character wise, in a city.
How tall would that make him? How tall is the triangle building he is next to?
SpaceG92 wrote:

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Buildng is 850ft

He will be somewhere between 400 and 600ft imo

blaze
Samurai

Post by blaze »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:The leaked script once mentioned Godzilla's chest...

How big would that be in meters?
The road is 67m above water level, water is around 90m deep at the middle IIRC, but we can't rule out artistic license, Tresspaser attacked that same spot and the water didn't even cover its knees.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I tink he be ova 200 meters, becawse da poster told me sow
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"