Would Godzilla 2014 be considered a millennium flick

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dust_pan
Futurian

Re: Would Godzilla 2014 be considered a millennium flick

Post by Dust_pan »

Unless we get an entire series of Legendary Godzilla films, then this film is not a part of any series/era. It's just its own thing.

The Showa series encompasses Japanese movies from the Showa era.
The Heisei series encompasses Japanese movies from the Heisei era.
And the Millennium series encompasses the last six Godzilla movies.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Dust_pan wrote:Unless we get an entire series of Legendary Godzilla films, then this film is not a part of any series/era. It's just its own thing.

Except The Return of Godzilla, which is part of the Heisei series, but was from the Showa era. And the Millennium Godzilla movies were made during the Heisei era, so the Heisei series does not encompass all the Japanese movies from that era. Only the ones from 1984-1995 that follow the same continuity.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

20th Century Boy wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:Unless we get an entire series of Legendary Godzilla films, then this film is not a part of any series/era. It's just its own thing.

Except The Return of Godzilla, which is part of the Heisei series, but was from the Showa era. And the Millennium Godzilla movies were made during the Heisei era, so the Heisei series does not encompass all the Japanese movies from that era. Only the ones from 1984-1995 that follow the same continuity.
Aside from The Return of Godzilla, which I completely forgot about, that is more or less what I meant. But thank you for further defining the three different series.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:How about we wait and see if there are more than 3 movies released? Because 1 or 2 dont count as an "era," and 3 is just a trilogy.
If you need more than three to be an era, how do you explain the three Heisei Gamera films being considered the "Heisei Era" of Gamera, and Gamera the Brave being the "Millennium Era" for the series?

Sir Butterbeans
G-Force Personnel

Post by Sir Butterbeans »

How about.. the American Godzilla franchise. Or is that too simple for you people.
My Favorite Album...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVV_3Z1mp_c&app=desktop

Josh Homme wrote:Fear is the hand that pulls your strings
a useless toy, pitiful plaything
TK's Resident Gorillaz and QOTSA Fan!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Hellspawn28 wrote: There's no such thing as Millennium Era for Gamera. The Millennium Era is only for Godzilla and don't read those stupid fan wikis. Since this is an American film then I don't view it as any part of any Godzilla film era. It's own movie and maybe it will spawn it's own franchise. We could call it the Legendary Godzilla film franchise if we get more then one film.
I should say they are referred to by some, correctly or otherwise, as part of those "eras", not so much that I think of them that way. I think I just see people call Kaneko's trilogy the Heisei series/trilogy, or refer to Gamera the Brave as a Millennium movie; I could be mistaken in memory, because I think I have said that myself - oops, lol. I think that's what I meant the way I was trying to word it. At least that's how I'm thinking about it as I sit here, lol. With Legendary's Godzilla, I'd vote for renaming the "Godzilla (2014)" sub-section something like "American Godzilla Films", which could encompass the 1998 and 2014 movies along with any future movies as well (or any other American adaptations of Toho films if that happened). It at least makes more sense than leaving the 1998 movie in the Heisei sub-section, and the movie probably doesn't merit its own entire sub-section.

In some ways I don't really like the Showa, Heisei, and Millennium terms just because it's wildly inaccurate as this thread has discussed (RoG/G85 being part of the real world Showa period, the Millennium films being a part of the real world Heisei period). It has led me to wonder the following: Is the Heisei and Millennium terminology something Toho has mentioned or are those actually fan terms? Didn't Toho release an art book or something within the last year or two on Heisei movies which did not include RoG? Because for Japanese fans, that would be confusing as well. Speaking of that, do Japanese fans use those references as well? I'd be interested. For fans from a western background, it'd be akin to calling the Millennium series the 21st century series when Godzilla 2000 is not a 21st century film.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Tohosaurus wrote:It has led me to wonder the following: Is the Heisei and Millennium terminology something Toho has mentioned or are those actually fan terms?
Fan-terms, from what I've read. Showa too.
Tohosaurus wrote: Didn't Toho release an art book or something within the last year or two on Heisei movies which did not include RoG?
That was for a book featuring SFX director Kawakita's work in 89-95,. I'm not sure if it's reflective of Toho's view of the era or not...could be, but that'd be strange considering ROG is linked in continuity to the films succeeding it.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

tymon wrote: Fan-terms, from what I've read. Showa too.

That was for a book featuring SFX director Kawakita's work in 89-95,. I'm not sure if it's reflective of Toho's view of the era or not...could be, but that'd be strange considering ROG is linked in continuity to the films succeeding it.
My uneducated guess is that they are fan terms. Millennium probably came from the Japanese and international title of Godzilla 2000 (Godzilla 2000: Millennium). Something like Neo-Heisei would've at least been more accurate, but I guess none of it's really necessary since from 1989-2004 Toho made giant monster movies. At least with using a term like "Heisei continuity" it's clearer, because the 1954 and 1984 movies are part of the continuity, not the Heisei period.

Okay, then nevermind, haha. He wasn't the special effects director for the 1984 movie or RoM3, and so that's not going to be a good way to see what Toho's real view is on the three series as it relates to the periods.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Aside from the whole RoG thing, I don't see much of a problem with the "series system" that many fans use. It's not like we can't tell what the hell you're talking about if you say "Showa series" or "Heisei series."

And I'm fine with using the term Millennium series because it does differentiate itself from the Heisei Godzilla continuity. The only problem is when fans start referring to ALL giant monster movies made after the year 2000 as Millennium films.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

From what I gather, Shinsei (New Heisei) was the original fan-made term for the Millennium series, but I think the term "Millennium" eventually became official by Toho. I mean, the promo of some of the Sony Godzilla DVDs have the announcer saying, "First in the Millennium Series came Godzilla 2000." I'm pretty sure such an advertisement wouldn't make use of a term that's only fan-made.

Gman

Post by Gman »

id say no since its not a toho film.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Godzilla '14 as a Millennium Series flick?

No way.

I consider it the start of a brand new series of American Godzilla films... that is if the film successfully spawns a sequel or two.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I say - Millennium, if there's only one. If MORE than one - Legendary Era. 8-)

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Legendary Era sounds Good.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!