Anyone thinking this might be a "ghost" sequel?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SonofX51
Yojimbo

Anyone thinking this might be a "ghost" sequel?

Post by SonofX51 »

I've looked at some of the information and no where do they explicitly say (correct me if I'm wrong), that Godzilla is a not seen before threat. While described as a reboot, you would think it would be "Godzilla vs Humans/Millitary" Ala the original, Return of and Godzilla 98, but in this we know there are insect like monsters, with the possibility of more monsters.

This break in pattern might indicate that this is a "ghost" sequel (not revealed to be one on purpose for surprise since it's been so long) to one of the arcs from the older films, specifically three:
-Heisei series/Godzilla Vs. Destroyah: Godzilla Junior absorbs his father's power after the meltdown (plus the little he gave to him when Junior was about to die), is very much alive at the end there. It's been sequel bait for a while. (Godzilla 2000 isn't a continuation of it). They could say he's been hibernating or keeping to himself for the past 17 years, but the element of human pollution and scientific testing/arrogance as stated by some of the known information, he's awaken and non too happy about all these roaches everywhere :P

-Tokyo S.O.S.: Watch after the credits and you see several DNA tanks in storage. This is a perfect setup for the "scientific arrogance".

-GMK All Out Attack: After Godzilla is defeated his heart still beats at the ocean floor. This Godzilla is a darker interpretation, a herald of destruction specifically, and not just a force of nature. Would fit the darker tone that 2014 is going for (but perhaps without the magic...)

Godzilla vs. Destroyah seems most likely if it is a ghost sequel, though i admit it probably isn't one and just a straight up new universe/era. But hey it's just interesting to think about.
"I now walk in the shadows between worlds...and it is there I have finally glimpsed upon what lives in the dark corners of the earth..." -Call of Cthulhu DCOTE.

XBL: HaioFighter92 Steam: HaloFighter92 3DS/Wii code: PM me

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Anyone thinking this might be a "ghost" sequel?

Post by Smuggers »

Gareth said it's gonna be an origin story.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

It's an interesting thought, but more likely is that this is all-new origin story unconnected to any previous film. The reason why this doesn't follow the format of the previous Godzilla origin films is simply due to the filmmakers realizing that a solo film won't be as interesting or fun as a versus film. Gamera did the same thing when they did Guardian of the Universe and Gamera the Brave, and if Godzilla were a superhero it'd be unthinkable to have a new origin film without an antagonist for him to fight.

SonofX51
Yojimbo

Post by SonofX51 »

Copperydock wrote:Gareth said it's gonna be an origin story.
Oh, guess I missed that bit then D:

post right above: Yes that does make sense, forgot about Guardian of the Universe. I just hope there's a "BIG" baddy, and not just those insect things which seem to be more like underlings, they could make the main antagonist Megalon so it still fits with the other creatures. He's been out of the game long enough.
"I now walk in the shadows between worlds...and it is there I have finally glimpsed upon what lives in the dark corners of the earth..." -Call of Cthulhu DCOTE.

XBL: HaioFighter92 Steam: HaloFighter92 3DS/Wii code: PM me

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Well, we already know there's going to be two monsters and only one of them is the spider/crab thing. We've gotten no hint toward the other monster at all.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

I think the heisei clingers have to let go of that series, it ended on a good note, lets embrace the reboot this time around, although i wasnt realyl a fan of the millenium series