New York Comic Con 2013

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: New York Comic Con 2013

Post by gatorzilla »

SpaceG92 wrote:^ I'm thinking something about the World of Warcraft movie.
Why? Thats not coming out for 2 years.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

World of Warcraft is bigger then Godzilla sadly and NYCC would cloak that event over Godzilla to be honest. Even still rumors of the movie were from like 2-3 years ago during WotLK I believe and it sorta got stuck in limbo then purgatory.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Out of countless things it could possibly be about what makes anyone think it could be about Godzilla of all things?

Come on people. Stop setting yourself up for disappointment.
Because not many people outside this fan base are excited for this movie right? :roll:

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Godzilla 2000 wrote: Oh?

Did you ask all of them? Do you have a statistic you can share with us?

Because I'm pretty sure Godzilla ranks a little low on the hype charts compared to...well, everything else that's coming out in 2014.
Thats right because no one showed up at the Godzilla Encounter at SDCC and this movie has no hype among various social media websites and movie websites :roll:

And the mere idea of Godzilla ranking low compared to EVERYTHING else in 2014 is beyond laughable

I wore a Godzilla shirt the other day and I had several people come up and say they were excited for the new film so spare me with this "low hype" nonsense

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Yeah, I wonder why Godzilla is ALWAYS the top comment on Most Anticipated 2014 movies Youtube videos and why the Hot Topic shirts outsold so quickly. I'm with Gator, Godzilla may not be the MOST Anticipated Movie, but its definetely in the Top 5.
Yooo 8-)

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Don't get me wrong but Godzilla does have hype behind it which is good but compare the hype for Godzilla to;
The Amazing Spider Man 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, X:Men Days of Future Past, Transformers 4, Captain America Winter Solder, 300: Rise of an Empire, How to Train Your Dragon 2. Godzilla is getting a lot of hype but compared to these, it may be out ranking a few in hype but i'm siding with G2000, a shit load of Marvel movies and several sequels are coming out next year. Sure Godzilla has insane hype within the monster fanbase and a good amount outside the fan bases but compare it some of the others? It's nothing compared to them, as of now.

Let alone the unveil of the Warcraft movie made a splash so more information could be unveiled at NYCC as well. Who knows it's anythings game right now.
Edit: Woops, JG4R correct Jurassic world :P
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

SpaceG92 wrote:Don't get me wrong but Godzilla does have hype behind it which is good but compare the hype for Godzilla to;
Guardians Of The Galaxy

Don't confuse the general audience with comic book fans. Guardians Of The Galaxy is NOT a big name :P .
300: Rise of an Empire
Really? I admit I've seen so much hype but not as much as this movie IMO.
Last edited by JGAR on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

SpaceG92 wrote:^ I'm thinking something about the World of Warcraft movie.
Im pretty sure its World of Warcraft. Theyve already campaigned godzilla for 2 years, and they are probably gonna promote warcraft for this one bigger.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Godzilla 2000 wrote: Did I say that? No, I didnt. Enough with the strawman arguments.

I said lower on the hype scale. Which it is. Just because WE are hyped about it, and we have seen comments on non-fans getting hyped about it, does NOT mean its going to take these conventions by storm, or even take priority over other, more popular franchises. Something is not inherently more important just because it's Godzilla.
Please explain how this is lower on the hype scale exactly? What I am not understanding is this desperate attempt at trying to prove that just because its Godzilla it CANT have a big presence or doesnt have a lot of hype? It sure as hell did at SDCC this year. How many other studios do/did what Legendary did for Godzilla outside of Marvel?

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

^ because Godzilla is a practically dead franchise that has never been very popular with the American mainstream audience sure there is some anticipation but not as much when you compare it to things like Marvel and DC or the new war craft movie which all have a wider audience and therefore more hype
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LiquidG wrote:^ because Godzilla is a practically dead franchise that has never been very popular with the American mainstream audience sure there is some anticipation but not as much when you compare it to things like Marvel and DC or the new war craft movie which all have a wider audience and therefore more hype
Hate to say it but this is correct.

Godzilla is simply niche entertainment to most mainstream American audiences. Has been for many years. He is practically dead over in Japan.

There is a small but loyal fanbase that is anxiously awaiting the movie next year but compared to other movies being released, Godzilla is probably going to be lower on the list in terms of general audience participation.

Transformers, Spider-Man 2, and X-Men will all make more money than Godzilla. Of the other titles I see being released, I can see Godzilla competing.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Yeah I'm not out of the whole 'they're not going to hype this up any' train, but I feel like this movie might still be a lot more known before its release date if they do the right things.

I feel like it would have had a better chance at advertisement if it wasn't the last movie between Warner/Legendary. I really wish they went ahead and took Godzilla to Universe like they did with Seventh Son.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

starsteam wrote:Yeah I'm not out of the whole 'they're not going to hype this up any' train, but I feel like this movie might still be a lot more known before its release date if they do the right things.

I feel like it would have had a better chance at advertisement if it wasn't the last movie between Warner/Legendary. I really wish they went ahead and took Godzilla to Universe like they did with Seventh Son.
There is no question that it is going to be known. You don't put out a $160 million production budget and not market the hell out of it. The key is whether the marketing is effective and people come out to see it.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Project25OH1
Samurai

Post by Project25OH1 »

I cannot get into how, but I spoke to someone at Legendary (seriously). The Godzilla Encounter WILL NOT BE at New York, nor will there be a panel for Godzilla.

Sad news. At least we got that teaser.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

Project25OH1 wrote:I cannot get into how, but I spoke to someone at Legendary (seriously). The Godzilla Encounter WILL NOT BE at New York, nor will there be a panel for Godzilla.

Well that sucks.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Project25OH1 wrote:I cannot get into how, but I spoke to someone at Legendary (seriously). The Godzilla Encounter WILL NOT BE at New York, nor will there be a panel for Godzilla.

Thats agiven the encounter was a big event to setup, doubt they would do it again at nycc. legendary probably left out godzilla panel because they intentionally leaked the trailer footage for us, jk but still

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Legendary doesn't USUALLY promote their movies at NYCC so I not surprised. Oh well new poster or t-shirt or first look at merchandise is always an option.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Gidorah89
Yojimbo

Post by Gidorah89 »

damn....

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Are we really surprised?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I'm not really surprised, when was the last time movies got promoted at NYCC 2013?
Yooo 8-)