Human drama in Godzilla, what are you expecting?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingOfTheKoopas
Ronin

Re: Human drama in Godzilla, what are you expecting?

Post by KingOfTheKoopas »

TheChingzilla wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:I keep seeing on other sites people posting that Gareth Edwards took a lot of inspiration from Spielberg's ''Jaws'' for Godzilla. Now i haven't seen anything saying this yet.. but if indeed true that's a great sign for human drama.

That's what made Jaws in my opinion stand the test of time, being emotionally invested in the main characters. Hopefully Edward's can pull it off.
Do you have any links? I would like to read that!

Yeah, me too. As a matter of fact you should only send it to me via PM, because in an alternate universe, I am you :)
I'm not sure if he has stated this about Godzilla specifically, but here's an old interview I had saved with him where he talks about Jaws as an inspiration, for Monsters especially.
Gareth Edwards wrote:“Do you know how much screen time the shark in Jaws gets in the first hour? I timed it with a stopwatch – six seconds. So, please just remember that an hour into Monsters if you’re feeling deceived.”
Another interesting tidbit from the article, when asked which superhero he would love the chance to bring to the big screen he replied,
Gareth Edwards wrote:“I’m not actually interested in doing a superhero movie. But as a kid the one I really liked was Spider-Man.”
Full article: http://whatculture.com/film/owf-attend- ... eening.php

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:Yeah, and I heard Christopher Nolan said that TDKR was the best thing in cinema since sound. Directors tend to bloat up their own work. If I do get moved to cry, props on him. But it's not like "OMG I've FAILED!" if audiences don't.
You're mixing up Christopher Nolan and James Cameron. James Cameron said something along those lines before Avatar came out (at Comic-Con, if I recall). That quote was part of why I went into that movie with a very negative attitude (and, as a result, walked out hating it). I don't recall either Christopher Nolan or Gareth Edwards ever saying anything like that.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I want some decent drama, but I don't want it to be super-complicated to the point where it focuses less on Godzilla.

Because honestly, who cares? I go to see Godzilla, not some puny humans (as Hulk would say it).
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

gzilla46 wrote:I want some decent drama, but I don't want it to be super-complicated either to the point where it focuses less on Godzilla.

Because honestly, who cares? I go to see Godzilla, not some puny humans (as Hulk would say it).
I would expect to be disappointed then, if what Gareth and Bryan are saying is to be taken literally. I doubt this, however, and I have faith Gareth can weave a very deep and emotional human element with giant monster disaster action without compromising either. And I, honestly, care about the drama. I personally don't go to a movie for only one or two elements, I go for the entire package. And honestly if this movie was just 130 minutes of Godzilla trashing cities, I would be disappointed. It could have the most amazing SFX and everything, and I would lump it in with Final Wars or Godzilla's Revenge; enjoyable every once in awhile, but nothing special. Its the human element that Gareth is bringing to this movie that has me most excited, not just the lavished effects.
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla 1986 wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:I want some decent drama, but I don't want it to be super-complicated either to the point where it focuses less on Godzilla.

I would expect to be disappointed then, if what Gareth and Bryan are saying is to be taken literally. I doubt this, however, and I have faith Gareth can weave a very deep and emotional human element with giant monster disaster action without compromising either. And I, honestly, care about the drama. I personally don't go to a movie for only one or two elements, I go for the entire package. And honestly if this movie was just 130 minutes of Godzilla trashing cities, I would be disappointed. It could have the most amazing SFX and everything, and I would lump it in with Final Wars or Godzilla's Revenge; enjoyable every once in awhile, but nothing special. Its the human element that Gareth is bringing to this movie that has me most excited, not just the lavished effects.
I hear you. I totally hear you. I'm just saying there needs to be a reasonable balance between human drama and Godzilla action. If there was too much human drama, it would be boring. If it was too much Godzilla, it would be less thrilling than it would be. There needs to be balance.
Shadow Arena Records:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah but the general public doesn't believe this which is why I think they've been saying the things they have. One of the reasons I love Son of Godzilla is the fact that the characters and their interactions are just as engaging as the monsters.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Chris55 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah but the general public doesn't believe this which is why I think they've been saying the things they have.
Saying it kinda knocks the preceding movies in a way but whatever.
I can see that, yeah, but I agree with Tyrant Lizard King: they have to work to dispel the widespread belief that Godzilla movies have paper-thin excuse plots, and the best way is to emphasize the new movie's story/characterization in this way. They have to present it as if it's something new, because as far as the general audiences are concerned it is, no matter how untrue that really is.

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Post by S9y »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
JGAR4Entertainment wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:People are going to bitch about there being "character development" then.
Who? People that like Michael Bay films? Its not like his fanbase covers half the movie theater.
But-but...Human characters shouldn't matter at all in a monster movie!
Yes I've always found humans boring.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah but the general public doesn't believe this which is why I think they've been saying the things they have. One of the reasons I love Son of Godzilla is the fact that the characters and their interactions are just as engaging as the monsters.
Son of Godzilla has to be one of my favorites. The main character in that is so damn likable. Even the guy who dubs him manages to add charm.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Gidorah89
Yojimbo

Post by Gidorah89 »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
S9y wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:

Who? People that like Michael Bay films? Its not like his fanbase covers half the movie theater.
But-but...Human characters shouldn't matter at all in a monster movie!
Yes I've always found humans boring.
That was sarcasm foo. And so what? You happen to find humans boring. Too bad. Like it or not, they will play a big part in this movie.[/quote]

This could very well be the first Kaiju movie (or Kaiju inspired) to buck the genre stereotype. Judging from the fact that Frank Darabont is the lead writer and Bryan Cranston is the lead role there's not a doubt in my mind that Legendary Godzilla could very well have the best human story arc in the franchises history. Yes, INCLUDING the first one.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Probably the best relatable to us yes, better human story than Gojira uncertain.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

LSK
Young Farmer

Post by LSK »

I hope Godzilla will survive from nuke.
How?
Possibly by deactivating the chain reaction, or absord nuclear power as food. :D

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

S9y wrote: Yes I've always found humans boring.
Badly written humans in a monster/horror/kaiju movie are boring. Good written ones tends to be rather interesting and fun to watch, even if it is a special effects driven movie.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

It would be nice to actually relate to or enjoy a human character in this film. Whens the last time you actually cared about a human character in a film like this?

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

well I care about character development, cmon now.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Killswitch wrote:It would be nice to actually relate to or enjoy a human character in this film. Whens the last time you actually cared about a human character in a film like this?

not since biollante have a i really cared about the humans. they've been uninspired. what i wanna see from the people in this is character development based on how they handle this new problem and threat that is Godzilla. i don't want the military to accept it has no chance, so some strong character(s) are expected there, and the main characters outside of that i really wanna see be hard to sympathise with, but easy to empathise with based on their actions. by that i mean you don't feel bad for them because they deserve whatever is happening, but given the circumstances that the film places them in you can understand why they're who they are, and why they do what they do. i find that a character you don't really feel bad for but understand makes it easier to fit into their role in the film as opposed to one you really don't like, or who is the "hero" or the unfortunate guy/gal stuck in the middle of what's happening.

a good example of unfortunate and stuck, and a hero is emmi from G vs KG. she was totally absent minded as to what was being done, then just gets thrust into the hero role when the oppertunity presents itself. i don't want that for this movie. i wanna follow an average person who's just caught in this set of events, and who has it rough or mundane. that way anyone could sit down and say "yea, that's what i would do".

now what i expect is to get some people in a romance, but also fighting against this kaiju problem who end up being unlikely stars or heroes. that's one thing that bugged me about GINO, and why i don't like americanized versions of the movies in general.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I don't mind some human character development. That gives it some nice depth. I just want them to know who the star is. It's NOT Bryan Cranston, it's NOT Elizabeth Olsen, it's NOT Aaron-Talyor Johnson. It's Godzilla.
Shadow Arena Records:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

gzilla46 wrote:I don't mind some human character development. That gives it some nice depth. I just want them to know who the star is. It's NOT Bryan Cranston, it's NOT Elizabeth Olsen, it's NOT Aaron-Talyor Johnson. It's Godzilla.
Um... why can't there be more than one star? It may be a Godzilla film, but that doesn't mean all human characters have to play secondary roles to the big G.

Hell. I'm just as excited to see Bryan Cranston as I am to see Godzilla.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

Dust_pan wrote:Hell. I'm just as excited to see Bryan Cranston as I am to see Godzilla.
Didn't you realise?!

Cranston tried to reveal Godzilla's appearance at the Comic-Con panel this year! ;) It's such a shame that he got cold feet at the last second. It seems that he might be waiting for the film just to surprise us. :P
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

gzilla46 wrote:I don't mind some human character development. That gives it some nice depth. I just want them to know who the star is. It's NOT Bryan Cranston, it's NOT Elizabeth Olsen, it's NOT Aaron-Talyor Johnson. It's Godzilla.
Uhm...no. Cranston, Olsen and Johnston ARE the stars. Godzilla is simply the ATTRACTION. And its the attraction that will sell the most tickets.
TheGodzilla wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:Hell. I'm just as excited to see Bryan Cranston as I am to see Godzilla.
Didn't you realise?!

Cranston tried to reveal Godzilla's appearance at the Comic-Con panel this year! ;) It's such a shame that he got cold feet at the last second. It seems that he might be waiting for the film just to surprise us. :P
I know! My lord I wish he did. I was right below a massive viewscreen, Godzilla would have looked beautiful being that close. Shame, man. Guess I gotta wait til May..
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)