Godzilla: The Look/Appearance Speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla: The Look

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Hellblaze wrote:I sure hope the comic con t-shirt of Godzilla is Godzilla himself and not like Zilla 98. I'm hoping these directors will do this right when the movie is out. I just hope fans will go see the movie and see the Godzilla we all know from the movies we have watched over the years since we were kids and not a mutated dinosaur like Zilla who btw is lame. We don't need to upset the japanese again like we did in 98.
:eh: Zilla's a mutated Iguana...

On topic... I want to see a Godzilla that keeps the basic design of the japanese one, but I want Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures to be able to give it their own style as well. It needs to have the basic shape, with features that would be more fitting for an American audience... if that makes any sense at all.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Tyler wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: :eh: Zilla's a mutated Iguana...
I think he meant the "realistic" Velociraptor stance. I hope they don't do that either. Maybe a little hunch, but still upright. His fins should have some sort of weight to them...
I kind of want a little bit of a slant in his posture, but I don't want that 'realistic' thing either. He's a monster after all, no reason for him to be realistic.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Hellblaze wrote:I sure hope the comic con t-shirt of Godzilla is Godzilla himself and not like Zilla 98. I'm hoping these directors will do this right when the movie is out. I just hope fans will go see the movie and see the Godzilla we all know from the movies we have watched over the years since we were kids and not a mutated dinosaur like Zilla who btw is lame. We don't need to upset the japanese again like we did in 98.
Toho has some of there people working with Legendary on the project so i doubt it. Also i think it's quite clear what went wrong with the last Godzilla movie, so it's safe to say Legendary won't be making the same mistakes as Tri-Star.
There taking a Darker an more Serious approach to Godzilla which are good element's into making a successful American Version. Also it's also obvious there taking Toho's Godzilla design an just adding slight adjustment's to appeal to both Fan's an Non-Fans.

I think this will be the Godzilla film that will bring back his popularity in the United States amongst other places. The only problem i see is ''some'' of the Tight-Ass fan's that will bad-mouth anything that isn't Toho or man in a suit. An Yes we all know those few close-minded people exist, which i find completely ridiculous.

Marlonhe007
Young Farmer

Post by Marlonhe007 »

I think there are similarities of the Godzila before and the Godzilla in the future.

May be they will only add some details to be more scary.

but i can't say something about the story because i have no idea about it

but i'm expecting some twist and more trill on the story of the Godzilla in the future.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Post by Green Blockhead »

Why does it have to be the god damn United States of America that makes the Godzilla movie now?

Can't they just make it the same style look as the Japanese Godzilla's? Up-straight body, not a Zilla-similar mouth and no spines at the top of his head. That's the Japanese godzilla.

Japan, SAVE GODZILLA!!!
'Nother design I found, I really like this one:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 6529_n.jpg

And that is excactly what I'm talking about. But take away the white eyes, otherwise it's going to look like GMK godzilla.
Goodbye Toho Kingdom Forum.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Because Toho both WILL NOT and actually feasibly CAN NOT put the amount of money into the franchise required for it to compete internationally without the aid of an American co-production.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Godzilla Apperance Requirements

I know that there's the Godzilla: The Look thread, but I feel that this should be seperate.

I created a picture of the Godzilla apperance requirements. Notice the US and Japanese flags next to shitty and non shitty. This tells you how America designs Godzilla and how Japan designs Godzilla.

http://i55.tinypic.com/mhqtc.jpg

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Apperance Requirements

Post by TokyoVigilante »

"How America Designs Godzilla?" Rly? Regardless of the numerous portrayals of Godzilla in American Pop Culture that are more then accurate, you're taking the one American Movie as record for how America designs Godzilla?

Anyways. Standing atleast Semi-errect, ears, three rows of maple-leaf shaped dorsal fins, bulky and stable looking. Blue Atomic Breath. That's it as far as physical characteristics go.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

As far as what's required:

- Holds its self at lest semi-erect
- Three rows of pronged dorsal spines/plates
- A look of great mass
- Blue nuclear breathe

EDIT: Charcoal gray skin too. I actually wouldn't mind if they slightly altered his color (a lighter gray or maybe even brown), just as long as he isn't green.
Last edited by HayesAJones on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I'm pretty sure that everyone here is in agreement on the general look. But what about specifics?

Some things that I'd really want to see on Goji are a furrowed brow, the double row of teeth, fangs, and burning orange eyes. I'd also like to see him him a more feral, predatory appearance.

EDIT: Little ears and a mammalian/feline lip too.
Last edited by HayesAJones on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Green Blockhead wrote:I know that there's the Godzilla: The Look thread, but I feel that this should be seperate.
I dunno. The two topics are very similar...

My requirements are that they pretty much do the exact opposite of what GINO did. Keep the basic design of the Japanese Godzilla. He needs to be standing largely erect. A slight hunch, like in Godzilla 2000, is fine but my preference is for standing upright - like the Heisei Godzilla. But in absolutely no way should he assume GINO's horizontal-like posture. That's terrible. No version of the Toho Godzilla has ever done that.

The fins can be redesigned so long as they keep the basic maple-leaf shape that all incarnations of the Japanese Godzilla - even Godzilla 2000 - did. I'm not picky about the color so long as its nothing too out there. I'd prefer a neon blue, silver, white, or some mixture of those however.

Ears are cool, but the three-toed/four-toed thing never bothered me.

Godzilla's skin color can be black, charcoal-gray, or dark green. All that works for him. I'd rather not see a bright green Godzilla like the HB version, though.

Other than that... they can pretty much go wild. I'd prefer if it weren't too much like the Toho Godzilla, but enough that we can recognize him on sight.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Arrow wrote:
Green Blockhead wrote: But in absolutely no way should he assume GINO's horizontal-like posture. That's terrible. No version of the Toho Godzilla has ever done that.
It almost happened in GMK. Thats why the suit has a pot-belly.

Anyways, pretty much what everyone else has said. I prefer fangs similar to G84 suit or G54 suit, but will not throw a hissy fit if they do double row teeth similar to Biollante godzilla and on hesei films.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Oh GOSH, is Living Corpse right? ARE you Greenmachine? :dizzy:

Who on earth is Greenmachine? I assume a banned user?

I hope you know his email if he shows it, because I can prove to you that I am not him.

Anyway, I hope your mostly going for the Japanese design. Don't mind a slight change, but the 2012 design on the shirt is basicly GINO with one change: His body is up-straight.

He needs to have a hump on his head, then it slopes down to his nose and mouth. No hunched over body like a T-rex.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Zilla looked about as much like an iguana as he did Godzilla. If iguanas weren't in the first minute or so of the movie, nobody'd dub him an iguana.

He's not hunched over, he's totally horizontal. Hunched-over is GMK Godzilla.

Zilla does not have spines on his head. They're on his neck.

"Japanese-looking head"?

Seriously, G98 is a shitty movie, I'll admit it, but this image is just a rag on Zilla, nothing more.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

JVM wrote:Zilla looked about as much like an iguana as he did Godzilla. If iguanas weren't in the first minute or so of the movie, nobody'd dub him an iguana.

He's not hunched over, he's totally horizontal. Hunched-over is GMK Godzilla.

Zilla does not have spines on his head. They're on his neck.

"Japanese-looking head"?

Seriously, G98 is a shitty movie, I'll admit it, but this image is just a rag on Zilla, nothing more.
Whoop-de-do, Legendary Pictures just had to simply stick Zilla's head on Godzilla's body. A very shitty thing to do.

G98 is nothing but a piece of shit. The only reason it sucks is because of apperance. Toho made a big mistake in giving America the rights of the character. Never trust America, because all they want to do is rape the apperance of Godzilla's looks. It is outright stupid, selfish, and only when it suits them.

As for the spines on Godzilla's head:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=169n9n8&s=7

It woulden't be such a problem if America just used the Japanese Godzilla design. It would outright boost the production of the film, maybe even postpone the release to 2011. Maybe or maybe not. It's just a god damn movie. Just use Japanese Godzilla.

atarkosaurusrex
Monarch Researcher

Post by atarkosaurusrex »

i think it should look like this. i did not make this.

http://amazingkaiju.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1xg0rn
zillas #1 fan!
"Raaaaaawwwwrrr!"-zilla
shadow arena record: wins 3, loses 3.

atarkosaurusrex
Monarch Researcher

Post by atarkosaurusrex »

in my opinion, his godzilla clayfigures are better than the real deal.
zillas #1 fan!
"Raaaaaawwwwrrr!"-zilla
shadow arena record: wins 3, loses 3.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

darthzilla99 wrote:I prefer fangs similar to G84 suit or G54 suit, but will not throw a hissy fit if they do double row teeth similar to Biollante godzilla and on hesei films.
Really?! :? Now I loved the double row of teeth. It made him look more mutated and badass.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Tyler wrote:America didn't ruin Godzilla, Devlin and Emmerich did. When they looked at Godzilla all they saw was a fat guy in a rubber suit, which was totally the wrong attitude to begin with. LP can get it right, they just need to find the right team.

And the simple thing to do is stick with Toho, use the mostly Japanese design, and then there done.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Green Blockhead wrote:
G98 is nothing but a piece of shit. The only reason it sucks is because of apperance. Toho made a big mistake in giving America the rights of the character. Never trust America, because all they want to do is rape the apperance of Godzilla's looks. It is outright stupid, selfish, and only when it suits them.
I believe the '98 movie sucked for a plethora of reasons. It wasn't just the design of the creature.
There's no need to generalize all American film-makers as greedy distrustful jerks who are only looking for a quick buck. Sure they exist, but who's fault it is? The American public. The people who pay money to see these products. They're what keep people like these afloat. It's not as if everything foreign the American film industry touches turns to absolute garbage.
Toho is just as greedy and willing to make money. These are businesses. Money is always their first concern.
It wouldn't be such a problem if America just used the Japanese Godzilla design. It would outright boost the production of the film, maybe even postpone the release to 2011. Maybe or maybe not. It's just a god damn movie. Just use Japanese Godzilla.
How would using a Japanese design outright increase the quality of the film's production? Design and visual appeals aren't what make a movie.
Green Blockhead wrote: This tells you how America designs Godzilla
Are you aware of this design at all?
This was Stan Winston's original sculpt for Godzilla. To my understanding, it was based off of the original screenplay.
But the point is, not all American artists in the film industry are out to ruin an original design. Stan Winston for instance was well known for paying homage to classic monsters, ever see the Monster Squad? Anyway, even if it has its roots in the Japanese design it still is by all means an American design.
Last edited by KaijuSapian on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.