Godzilla: The Look/Appearance Speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Green Blockhead
Samurai

Re: Godzilla Apperance Requirements

Post by Green Blockhead »

KaijuSapian wrote:
Green Blockhead wrote:
G98 is nothing but a piece of shit. The only reason it sucks is because of apperance. Toho made a big mistake in giving America the rights of the character. Never trust America, because all they want to do is rape the apperance of Godzilla's looks. It is outright stupid, selfish, and only when it suits them.
I believe the '98 movie sucked for a plethora of reasons. It wasn't just the design of the creature.
There's no need to generalize all American film-makers as greedy distrustful jerks who are only looking for a quick buck. Sure they exist, but who's fault it is? The American public. The people who pay money to see these products. They're what keep people like these afloat. It's not as if everything foreign the American film industry touches turns to absolute garbage.
Toho is just a greedy and willing to make money. These are businesses. Getting big G back to life is always their first concern.
It wouldn't be such a problem if America just used the Japanese Godzilla design. It would outright boost the production of the film, maybe even postpone the release to 2011. Maybe or maybe not. It's just a god damn movie. Just use Japanese Godzilla.
How would using a Japanese design outright increase the quality of the film's production? We don't want another GINO, so yeah, use the Japanese design and we wouldent have so many problems.
Green Blockhead wrote: This tells you how America designs Godzilla
Are you aware of this design at all?
This was Stan Winston's original sculpt for Godzilla. To my understanding, it was based off of the original screenplay.
But the point is, not all American artists in the film industry are out to ruin an original design. Stan Winston for instance was well known for paying homage to classic monsters, ever see the Monster Squad? Anyway, even if it has its roots in the Japanese design it still is by all means an American design.
I can't see the picture, but I've seen it before and know what your talking about. That's excactly what a non-shitty Godzilla design is. It looks like a Japanese Toho Godzilla.
Goodbye Toho Kingdom Forum.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Green Blockhead wrote: Getting big G back to life is always their first concern.
If this was the case then Toho would be making Godzilla movies this very moment. It's well known that Kaiju and monster movies in general have been doing really poorly in Japan. I don't know if the culture is tired of them or what, but the fact remains, Kaiju movies just don't rake in the cash these days. Hence why there hasn't been many Kaiju films for the past few years, aside from some independent studios, Gamera: The Brave, and some Ultraman movies. Toho won't make Kaiju films until they're profitable again.
We don't want another GINO, so yeah, use the Japanese design and we wouldent have so many problems.
...no we don't. But I don't understand your reasoning for believing a great design will magically create some great production. There are plenty of movies with cool looking monsters which just aren't all that good.
I can't see the picture, but I've seen it before and know what your talking about. That's excactly what a non-shitty Godzilla design is. It looks like a Japanese Toho Godzilla.
Yet it was made by an American special effects studio. It's foundation was based on Toho's character, but it's still a design of American origin. It was created and revamped by American artists. It's not Toho's creation. I'm just trying to explain how American artists can be (and often are) respectable of the original source material.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

(Green Blockhead - G98 is nothing but a piece of shit. The only reason it sucks is because of apperance. Toho made a big mistake in giving America the rights of the character. Never trust America, because all they want to do is rape the apperance of Godzilla's looks. It is outright stupid, selfish, and only when it suits them.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt Godzilla's design was not the only reason the movie sucked.
Having Matthew Broderick as the star was #1.
All the other actors besides Jean Reno sucked
Baby Raptors? Eating Fish? Hiding under-ground? Running from the Military? Oh i dunno maybe a dozen other thing's i could name.

Still Toho did not make a mistake about giving up the right's to Godzilla. They wanted what was best for there franchise an at the time it looked like a new light upon the franchise. They took a chance an it failed... it still brought a lot of New fan's over to the fan-base. An was most younger kid's first impression of Godzilla... An anyone who hated the Japanese Godzilla, loved the American one an are looking forward to the Reboot... Just as we as fan's of the Japanese counter part are.
There's a lot of pro's an con's on this debate but either way the movie gave Godzilla huge publicity here in the U.S. far more then it had before.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Tyler wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I don't even know if Emmerich is american. Isn't he french?
German. Uwe Boll is a failed attempt at cloning a better director out of him.
Emmerich is like Uwe Boll at storywriting,the difference is Emmerich have much bigger budgets.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

atarkosaurusrex
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla: The Look

Post by atarkosaurusrex »

that was my reaction, too.
zillas #1 fan!
"Raaaaaawwwwrrr!"-zilla
shadow arena record: wins 3, loses 3.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I would mind seeing a lean, agile Goji as long as its executed right.

And atarkosaurusrex... there can only be one signature that calls Zilla the Lizard King. I demand a internet duel to decide who gets to keep theirs.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

What stance do you want: horizontal or vertical

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Horizontal. But I wouldn't mind somewhere in between if it wasn't too off-putting.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Didn't the initial promo art show us what to expect?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'd prefer diagonal actually.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Boo fucking hoo.

This entire thread is just senseless whining.

WAAAH JAPAN'S NOT MAKING THE NEW GODZILLA MOVIE.

Hey, in my opinion, there should not have been a new Godzilla movie ever again. You see me sitting here and making a topic bitching about it?
Whoop-de-do, Legendary Pictures just had to simply stick Zilla's head on Godzilla's body. A very shitty thing to do.
What the hell are you talking about?
G98 is nothing but a piece of shit. The only reason it sucks is because of apperance.
Not the only, but the main one.
Toho made a big mistake in giving America the rights of the character. Never trust America, because all they want to do is rape the apperance of Godzilla's looks. It is outright stupid, selfish, and only when it suits them.
Right. Because Barack Obama has nothing better to do but decide how Godzilla looks. Mind me asking what country your from?
As for the spines on Godzilla's head:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=169n9n8&s=7
That's not from G98, doesn't prove your point.
It woulden't be such a problem if America just used the Japanese Godzilla design.
Oh, right, you mean any of the 28 bloody designs Toho's used over the years? Godzilla's changed wildly under Toho as well.
It would outright boost the production of the film, maybe even postpone the release to 2011.
How the hell would it POSTPONE the movie BACKWARD in time?
Maybe or maybe not. It's just a god damn movie. Just use Japanese Godzilla.
If it's just a movie, why are you whining so much about it?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

OK... very first post of mine that im DEFENDING jvm... you might wanna save this one!!!

GreenBlockhead... you are one of the following

1) someone from a different country who enjoys mocking america...

or 2) a immature child who doesnt know anything. WHo probably enjoys G98 buts to embarassed to admit he does.

so my advice is to stop being so butthurt and get on with your life... LP is making an AMERICAN godzilla movie... so they will not use an exact copy of Japans
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The design doesn't worry me, since Legendary Pictures even said they know what will appeal to us. MY concern is, will they give him animalistic behavioral patterns like GINO?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Legion1979 wrote:I want an upright Godzilla that isn't skinny and doesn't have Tyrannosaur legs.
You want a man in a suit? :eh: :eh: :eh:

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

gojira012 wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:I want an upright Godzilla that isn't skinny and doesn't have Tyrannosaur legs.
You want a man in a suit? :eh: :eh: :eh:
Is it somehow impossible for Godzilla to be upright and CGI in you're mind or something? If he wanted a man in a suit he would have said so.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Let's put this straight.

I am from the United Kingdom, for those of you who are asking. I am Half British Half Canadian. That dosent matter right now. Off topic.
Just because I am from a different country dosen't mean I have different thoughts on Godzilla.

These are the REAL Godzillas:
http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/godzilla-300.jpg
http://everseradio.com/wp-content/uploa ... l6-800.jpg

These look like GINO:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y5TwdoOLPTI/T ... vealed.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/447 ... e976_o.jpg

All I want is this: Basicly use Stan Winston's design, or just use a design that has no GINO looking head.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

No, those do not look like GINO. Not even in a vague sense of the word. GINO has a lanky build, a solid, block-shaped head with an underbite, and curved spines.

The Promo-look has ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THOSE FEATURES. And that model doesn't even have a body, so I don't understand how you're making a judgment based on a disembodied head.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

How the fuck do you see a resemblence?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Green Blockhead
Samurai

zilla103192 wrote:Image

How the skreeonk do you see a resemblence?

I see a resemblence in the head.

Look at the head from Japanese godzilla: the base design is a hump for a head, with eyes on front. sloping down to his jaws, where his nose and mouth are.

The head on Godzilla 2012 is completely different than Japanese Godzilla, that's not what I want. God, what could possibly go wrong if they keep the Japanese concept? The end of the world? P-lease!

You know, maybe there won't even be a Godzilla film, because 2012 is the predicted end of the world

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Green Blockhead wrote:
These look like GINO:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y5TwdoOLPTI/T ... vealed.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/447 ... e976_o.jpg

All I want is this: Basicly use Stan Winston's design, or just use a design that has no GINO looking head.
I don't know whether or not you've picked up on this, but both of those images are basically fan art. Neither are official designs from LP.
Green Blockhead wrote: I see a resemblence in the head.
You know, it's interesting. I myself am not all that big a fan of the promotional poster design, buts it's for a different reason. I've said it before, but the design just looks too similar to what we know. It's not innovative enough. When I see it, I feel like it's something I've seen before. Some might say that's a good thing (and by all means if this is the final design, I'll be happy), but I personally would like to more originality with this update.
Despite this, I'm not going around and debunking the design over little nitpicks I have. If you don't enjoy the design that's fine, no one can disprove your aesthetic opinion. But at least let others enjoy it.
Look at the head from Japanese godzilla: the base design is a hump for a head, with eyes on front. sloping down to his jaws, where his nose and mouth are.
I think Godzilla's head is a bit more complicated than that. And what about the millennium design? It's a revamp of the japanese design and made to look slightly more reptilian.
I think your oversimplifying everything you see. Your basically suggesting that if the promotional Godzilla has a similar head shape to Zilla, then they are the same thing.... Either that, or your just being way to critical of small details. Lighten up and relax a bit.
The head on Godzilla 2012 is completely different than Japanese Godzilla, that's not what I want. God, what could possibly go wrong if they keep the Japanese concept? The end of the world? P-lease!
Here's the thing, this movie isn't being made to just satisfy you. Based on what we can tell, its being made to attract both fans and the mainstream populace. What does that mean? Well it means we can assume that they'll go with something that's recognizable to the fans, yet will still appeal to the average movie-goer. They're going to revamp the design. Simple as that. If you think they're going to rehash some japanese suit design, then you've got another coming. They won't, and shouldn't. That would just be lazy of them.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.