What's your worst fear regarding GODZILLA?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

What's your worst fear regarding GODZILLA?

Post by gatorzilla »

What is your worst fear regarding this film?

Mine is the box office. Hopefully this movie will have some very smart marketing that get the general audience hyped especially since Legendary funded about 75% of the film and just signed a deal with that new marketing company.

After that my only other fear is fan reaction to the design.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: What's your worst fear regarding GODZILLA?

Post by 20th Century Boy »

That it won't be a good movie. You know, the script and plot and all those things that make a movie what it is. The look of Godzilla and the monsters he fights are secondary to me.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

My worst fear is that it will be boring. Military flicks usually bore the piss out of me. I don't think that will be the case here, though. As long as Aaron Tyler Johnson's character is interesting and has some sort of personal (that is, not professional/legal) investment in the chaos caused by the monsters I'll be fine. Also, if Godzilla really shines in this it'll contribute greatly to my entertainment.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Jomei wrote:Yeah, but we don't just want a good movie. We want a good Godzilla movie. And for that to happen, first we need the real Godzilla! That's what I meant by my fear about the design--that we'd get something like GINO again. Even with a good story and good production, GINO could not have been Godzilla.
I may be in the minority here, but I would have like GINO if it was a good movie, regardless of the representation of Godzilla. I would have accepted the character evolution even if it was extreme, as franchises evolve from time to time (and we still have the Japanese movies). My main gripe with GINO was that it sucked as a movie.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Jomei wrote:Franchises evolve, but Godzilla evolving into a giant velociraptor that runs from the military and dies pathetically to a couple missles is... not an evolution I accept for the character. If they're going to do that with Godzilla, I'd rather they just leave the franchise dead. Just make a different monster movie and leave Godzilla be.

edit: I mean, if you really love Godzilla's character, you have to love something more than just the character's name on the film. You can't "evolve" him into anything you like and just use the name for the recognition factor. You can change a lot--as the Japanese films have--but there's a core to be preserved.
Now if they kept the core of what makes Godzilla who he is BUT kept the design of the '98 version would you have found it acceptable?

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Not to get further off-topic, but does anybody know if Godzilla: The Series was in production before the movie? I sort of want to know if Godzilla's behavior in that series came from negative fan reactions from his behavior in the movie. Maybe he was conceived to be powerful and invincible all along, and the first movie sort of ruined the original vision.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

I used to be worried about all the G-Fans opinions especially the older ones but I've learned that some people just won't be pleased no matter how good a movie is
(There are Batman fans who hate Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy)

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

gatorzilla wrote:I used to be worried about all the G-Fans opinions especially the older ones but I've learned that some people just won't be pleased no matter how good a movie is
(There are Batman fans who hate Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy)
People have different criteria for what makes something "good." So I understand when someone doesn't like something. But the important part is what you as a member of the audience or as an individual fan think. Not what the entire fanbase thinks.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

That it ends up like ''Cloverfield''

Now i don't just mean the ''Found Footage'' style because even though to me that would be a catastrophe i mean the story.
The actors were pretty much a bore to watch, I felt pity for none of them an they showed only minor glimpses of the creature at a time. While to some it may have worked for Cloverfield it will not work for Godzilla.

I want to actually feel something for these characters like there actually living threw a global disaster but also remembering we paid to see Godzilla, Full on head to toe and fighting other monsters and leveling city's.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Godzilla's design is my main concern. I mean, I hope it's a good movie and everything, but I want to be sure it's a design I can think of as Godzilla when I see it.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Shazam14 wrote: I'm just hoping it'll be something most of us can enjoy that won't lead to a war of opinions.
I think we all know that's impossible. ;)

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Shazam14 wrote:Ah, another thing! If the film does good or better (which I'm hoping it does), that newer fans will come to this forum and the older members will chase them away or treat them like idiots.
That is true HOWEVER it is up to us fans to ring in the older members who treat the new ones poorly and if the older ones don't like it then oh well.
We are all hear because we are fans of the same thing. We should welcome new fans not discourage them. Are we all going to have disagreements and arguments? Yeah because thats normal in a fan base.
However treating people bad simply because they are new and may not have as much knowledge is unacceptable. It's going to be up to us fans to make sure that crap doesnt happen.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

As I stated time and time again, I'm worried about plot-holes spawning from the multiple re-writes. Even if they do get the Godzilla design right, such a problem could be equally fatal to the film.

Also, I know its purely coincidental to us fans regarding the similarities this film has with Pacific Rim, but I fear the worst from the mainstream audiences' general reaction towards the film.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

That it'll be a big military commercial like Battleship, Battle LA, and the Transformers films.

Judging from all the set photos released, it's a huge possibility.

Seeing US military in any film pisses the hell outta me.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I guess that the US military won't be portrayed right (for the hundredth time), and will be the screaming and swearing obnoxious fools like in almost every military-based movie. Godzilla will have the same fate as the Transformers did in Bay's films, and will be a background object instead of an actual character.

#BotM

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

LegendZilla wrote:As I stated time and time again, I'm worried about plot-holes spawning from the multiple re-writes. Even if they do get the Godzilla design right, such a problem could be equally fatal to the film.
Max Borenstein is still heavily involved with the film. So it's not like anything major was changed. It was Borenstein who wrote the full script.
Also, I know its purely coincidental to us fans regarding the similarities this film has with Pacific Rim, but I fear the worst from the mainstream audiences' general reaction towards the film.
Godzilla and Pacific Rim couldnt be more different. Pacific Rim is HEAVY on scifi while Godzilla is going to be more like Man of Steel (real world setting with fictional character.) The only thing these movies have in common is giant monsters. Besides of the general audience will go see multiple superhero or action films in the same year why wouldn't they see 2 giant monster movies which are a year apart? Godzilla is a well established franchise and icon.
It's not like there can't be multiple giant monster movies

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

My only concern is the box office returns.

I don't care about the character design, and I have full confidence in the writers and crew to make a good movie. I'm only worried that the movie only does "okay" (IOW, enough to win its weekend but not enough to warrant a sequel) or, even worse, actually bombs for one reason or another. I'm frightened of the consequences of this film failing.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

1. Box Office failure, might not gurantee a sequel.
2. Same or worse than GINO
3. Reactions to it, many fans already are complaining about it being dark and gritty, not campy and cheesy. Others even say that Edwards isn't a true fan, mainly because he had hard time with the dubbing.
gatorzilla wrote:That is true HOWEVER it is up to us fans to ring in the older members who treat the new ones poorly and if the older ones don't like it then oh well.
We are all hear because we are fans of the same thing. We should welcome new fans not discourage them. Are we all going to have disagreements and arguments? Yeah because thats normal in a fan base.
However treating people bad simply because they are new and may not have as much knowledge is unacceptable. It's going to be up to us fans to make sure that crap doesnt happen.
I approve that Gator! :D
Yooo 8-)

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I'm worried it'll be TOO dark. I mean, I WANT a darker take on Godzilla. I WANT to see him go back to the roots of the Japanese film. But, I don't want it to be so dark that it'll be depressing. There needs to be some form of comic relief so that it doesn't become TOO dark. But the comedy needs to not be reliant on butt jokes and actually be funny.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

No real worries on my end but we need to understand that this Godzilla film will be different from anything we are use to seeing. From alot of the post I read from members on here, it seems like most are expecting the typical Godzilla vs monster vs military theme. I expect this film to be alot more about the effects that the monsters have on a human level. Something tells me that this will not be the Godzilla that we will root for but the monster will be a very tough adversary for the likes of AJT's as well as the supporting cast characters. This is not to say that Godzilla wont be a total badass and strike awe whenever on screen. Its just that he will be a villian like Freddy, your worst nightmare kind of thing. But it looks to me like AJT will be more bullet proof than Godzilla. Look at how badass they project this dude in the pics of the onset shots.