Military Speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ray243
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Military Thread

Post by ray243 »

Infinity wrote: Thats dumb. In a universe where such beings exist in the first place, do YOU think its unrealistic for the military to NOT build a Mech that happens to be a nice fit in with the doppleganger role required by the plot? You might as well say that the American Militia groups in Spiderman are very dumb for creating the likes of high tech warriors like the Spider Slayers, Doc Ock or Smyth. What exactly is the point of having all that shit when its just as easy to kill Spider man more efficiently by using the likes of bombs and chemical weapons more effectively (i.e just the nuke the skreeonk when he gets in an area. Not like the villains ever care what the collateral damage is).
Yes, it is unrealistic/stupid. Why the hell do you want to build a giant robot that gets into a wrestling fight with a giant monster, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY? Hell, having Mechagodzilla walking around in the city would cause more colleteral damage than the use of missiles and bombs!
Godzilla and the monsters are the only unrealistic elements?

So Cyborgs like Gigan and Megalon or Medival fantasy kaiju like Ghidorah and Mothra are fine but somehow a mechanical kaiju that abides by science prowess is somehow not worthy of fitting in "realistically"?
Because no military in their right mind would even think of building a Mech.
You know, I'm quite certain that if there was anyone like you behind the wheels of writing a script for any series that comes out for the New Godzilla release, it would end up with exact same fate as Spider Man 3 (I.e, the director didn't like venom but was forced to put him because he was otherwise a popular villain in the fanbase),.
Spiderman 3 still earns more and is better received critically than most Godzilla movies. Furthermore, asking the director to add Mechagodzilla when his intention is to portray the Godzilla movie in a more grounded manner is the same as fans demanding to see Venom in Spider Man 3.
I thought this film is going to be realistic in how it is going to be presented, much like Gojira. I mean like, what if real life Monster showed up today? In movies, that's how you present something realistically, how is the world going to react and be affected by it. So, in my eyes, space Monsters, mythological Monsters, and mechanical Monsters are still a possibility, just that how is it going to be presented?
Exactly. Real life military don't respond to giant monsters by building a 300 foot robot to engage in a wrestling fight.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Infinity wrote:Thats dumb. In a universe where such beings exist in the first place, do YOU think its unrealistic for the military to NOT build a Mech that happens to be a nice fit in with the doppleganger role required by the plot? You might as well say that the American Militia groups in Spiderman are very dumb for creating the likes of high tech warriors like the Spider Slayers, Doc Ock or Smyth. What exactly is the point of having all that shit when its just as easy to kill Spider man more efficiently by using the likes of bombs and chemical weapons more effectively (i.e just the nuke the skreeonk when he gets in an area. Not like the villains ever care what the collateral damage is).

Yes, it is unrealistic/stupid. Why the hell do you want to build a giant robot that gets into a wrestling fight with a giant monster, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY? Hell, having Mechagodzilla walking around in the city would cause more colleteral damage than the use of missiles and bombs!

Godzilla and the monsters are the only unrealistic elements?

So Cyborgs like Gigan and Megalon or Medival fantasy kaiju like Ghidorah and Mothra are fine but somehow a mechanical kaiju that abides by science prowess is somehow not worthy of fitting in "realistically"?

Because no military in their right mind would even think of building a Mech.

You know, I'm quite certain that if there was anyone like you behind the wheels of writing a script for any series that comes out for the New Godzilla release, it would end up with exact same fate as Spider Man 3 (I.e, the director didn't like venom but was forced to put him because he was otherwise a popular villain in the fanbase),.

Spiderman 3 still earns more and is better received critically than most Godzilla movies. Furthermore, asking the director to add Mechagodzilla when his intention is to portray the Godzilla movie in a more grounded manner is the same as fans demanding to see Venom in Spider Man 3.

I thought this film is going to be realistic in how it is going to be presented, much like Gojira. I mean like, what if real life Monster showed up today? In movies, that's how you present something realistically, how is the world going to react and be affected by it. So, in my eyes, space Monsters, mythological Monsters, and mechanical Monsters are still a possibility, just that how is it going to be presented?

Exactly. Real life military don't respond to giant monsters by building a 300 foot robot to engage in a wrestling fight.
I see.

Well ray, I'm glad you are just a fan giving out an opinion and not really someone critical behind the scenes of any serious Godzilla related projects. Hell, I would give Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin another shot at directing the next Godzilla film and its sequels than to have someone with your frame of mind work on them, because I can guarantee you that you'll piss off just about the same amount of fans with that kind of reasoning as R&D did in their 1998 movie.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Infinity wrote: Well ray, I'm glad you are just a fan giving out an opinion and not really someone critical behind the scenes of any serious Godzilla related projects. Hell, I would give Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin another shot at directing the next Godzilla film and its sequels than to have someone with your frame of mind work on them, because I can guarantee you that you'll piss off just about the same amount of fans with that kind of reasoning as R&D did in their 1998 movie.
Oh please. As if listening to fans demand automatically improve the quality of the film and the overall box office returns. The last time Toho made a Godzilla movie for all the hardcore fans of the series, it end up as a box office disappointment. The majority of the movie public won't care about how many fans are butthurt as long as the movie is enjoyable and nice to watch.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Oh please. As if listening to fans demand automatically improve the quality of the film and the overall box office returns. The last time Toho made a Godzilla movie for all the hardcore fans of the series, it end up as a box office disappointment. The majority of the movie public won't care about how many fans are butthurt as long as the movie is enjoyable and nice to watch.

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

We need to get back on topic...
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Infinity wrote: Image
Concession accepted.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ray243 wrote: There are several reason why it would be better to send MechaG after Godzilla.

1. Godzilla is the only one of his kind seeing MechaG could confuse him,throw him off his game maybe even cause him to not attack.
And how long can you confuse him before he attacks you? 2 seconds?
It confused every Godzilla but Showa for more then two seconds. MechaG has always got the first hit on Godzilla due to confusion and even beat Kiryu Goji into a retreat.
2. Experimental weapons could be used with MechaG. Such as a maser and thus could be powerd by what ever powers MechaG and thus making the weapon more powerful then it already is. MechaG could hold more ammo then what is available now. Armor and fighting could lead to MechaG lasting much longer against Godzilla and doing more damage then a tank, MechaG could also withstand Godzilla's ray better.
Why not put the mauser onto other kind of weapon platform? Preferably something that is much easier to transport around.
Godzilla can one shot a tank, he can't one shot a MechaG.
3. Having a Godzilla on our side would boost moral someway.

These are just a couple reasons.
Why do you need to build MG to get Godzilla on your side?
[/quote]

MechaG is a Godzilla, MechaG would be on people's side giving them a Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

You do realize there is something called strategy right? The Military can just put those said weapons from a real far away distance, or just sneak attack Godzilla. Also you can put much more of those Experimental weapons on a Platform than on a Mecha. Also, it's just too simply expensive. Even an economic juggernaut like the U.S would have economic problems if they made a such expensive mech. Plus what's the point of building one, if it's probably going to lose anyways? Building a mech is costly enough, but rebuilding it?

Shadow wrote:
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheChingzilla wrote:You do realize there is something called strategy right? The Military can just put those said weapons from a real far away distance, or just sneak attack Godzilla. Also you can put much more of those Experimental weapons on a Platform than on a Mecha. Also, it's just too simply expensive. Even an economic juggernaut like the U.S would have economic problems if they made a such expensive mech. Plus what's the point of building one, if it's probably going to lose anyways? Building a mech is costly enough, but rebuilding it?
IDW and the Kiryu films covered the cost of MechaG and why they wanted to use him over other weapons already.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

miguelnuva wrote:
TheChingzilla wrote:You do realize there is something called strategy right? The Military can just put those said weapons from a real far away distance, or just sneak attack Godzilla. Also you can put much more of those Experimental weapons on a Platform than on a Mecha. Also, it's just too simply expensive. Even an economic juggernaut like the U.S would have economic problems if they made a such expensive mech. Plus what's the point of building one, if it's probably going to lose anyways? Building a mech is costly enough, but rebuilding it?
IDW and the Kiryu films covered the cost of MechaG and why they wanted to use him over other weapons already.
Except those explanations are just as dumb as the mere presence of MG. MechaGodzilla only works when the tone of your film is over the top and doesn't take itself too seriously. Given that Gareth seems to aim for a more grounded approach, MechaGodzilla is going to be extremely out of place.

It is the same reason why Chris Nolan didn't want to include a child Robin in his Batman films.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I agree with Ray, Mechagodzilla is simply not grounded in any feasible way.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Not in the first or second film but we have no idea how the army would respond to a giant monster showing up. There's the Jeagers in PR and of course the alien route could work for MechaG.

There is a certain level of realism Godzilla needs to avoid, I'm not saying MechaG should be in there series but I don't want to here he won't be in because of realism.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

^He can still be in it, just that how are they going to present it realistically, how can the Military come up with it?
Yooo 8-)

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

miguelnuva wrote:Not in the first or second film but we have no idea how the army would respond to a giant monster showing up. There's the Jeagers in PR and of course the alien route could work for MechaG.

There is a certain level of realism Godzilla needs to avoid, I'm not saying MechaG should be in there series but I don't want to here he won't be in because of realism.
The CEO of Legendary already said that the tone of the Godzilla will differ from Pacific Rim.
^He can still be in it, just that how are they going to present it realistically, how can the Military come up with it?
Realism and Mecha don't really mix well.

More importantly, is there a good narrative reason to include MechaGodzilla?

Bluezilla 65
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla 65 »

In my opinion we will see three major military offenses in this movie.
The first engagement will use the standard payloads of the weapon systems they attack with.
Which will not work against Godzilla at all.
In the second engagement they will bring out the biggest conventional weapons.
It still will not work.
Third major attack will be experimental or nuclear weapons. May or may not work.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ray243 wrote:Not in the first or second film but we have no idea how the army would respond to a giant monster showing up. There's the Jeagers in PR and of course the alien route could work for MechaG.

The CEO of Legendary already said that the tone of the Godzilla will differ from Pacific Rim.
Tone is different yes but the Military there got the idea to build a giant Mecha.
Realism and Mecha don't really mix well.

More importantly, is there a good narrative reason to include MechaGodzilla?
We don't how the army would react if Godzilla appeared and all weapons used against him are useless. Once again not saying MechaG has to be in this but their is a certain level of realism I don't want Godzilla to cross because he is Godzilla.

The public backlash of creating a MechaGodzilla could be a good story if handled right especially with a solider as the main character.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

Am I the only one around here, who thinks that when they meant grounded and realistic, it wasn't supposed to be applied to the Monsters? But what the people's reaction would be like and what they'll do to survive? Not to mention that IF MechaGodzilla does appear, it will be in a sequel, which to this day has no confirmation that it will be as "realistic" as the first one.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Ignore ray234, he is just another troll going out of his way to ruin the image of a character that happens to be very popular in this fandom, with the most stupidest of reasons.

Infact, his logic is so idiotic that I'm perplexed of how much double standard and irony can come out of it. Grounded in reality my ass, if you can't put MG or any Mech in the Godzilla series because of these reasons, than don't even go close to putting mythical and fantasy based ones cuz thats just downright -------- and more importantly quite moronic from someone who wants to ruin it for other fans.
Last edited by Infinity on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

KingGhidorah wrote:Am I the only one around here, who thinks that when they meant grounded and realistic, it wasn't supposed to be applied to the Monsters? But what the people's reaction would be like and what they'll do to survive? Not to mention that IF MechaGodzilla does appear, it will be in a sequel, which to this day has no confirmation that it will be as "realistic" as the first one.
That's what I'm trying to say lol!
Yooo 8-)

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

Bluezilla 65 wrote:In my opinion we will see three major military offenses in this movie.
The first engagement will use the standard payloads of the weapon systems they attack with.
Which will not work against Godzilla at all.
In the second engagement they will bring out the biggest conventional weapons.
It still will not work.
Third major attack will be experimental or nuclear weapons. May or may not work.
So, for 1st engagement= Tanks, Attack Helicopters, Fighter Jets, and Basic Missile Launchers
2nd engagement= Bunker Busters, Tomahawks, Tridents(Missiles used in US Submarines, pack a real nasty punch), Naval ships, and Heavy Strike Bombers
3rd engagement= Nukes, Chemical Weapons, Biological Weapons, Laser Weapons, etc?

Shadow wrote:
640lbs