$200 Million Dollar Budget?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

$200 Million Dollar Budget?

Post by KingGhidorah »

OK so a while back today at around 10:30 Eastern Time Zone Wikipedia stated that Godzilla will have a 200 million dollar budget, and now this article is claiming the same thing as well.
http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=26113
If this is true, not only was my hunch right but it could mean that we are going to expect A LOT of High Quality CGI, long CGI battles, and lots of special effects and Props. What do you guys think on this matter?

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Re: $200 Million Dollar Budget?

Post by KingGhidorah »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Wouldn't surprise moi. Pacific Rim got a big budget-why not this?
You see but that's the problem, there are many reason why this movie should have a $200 million budget and many reasons why it shouldn't. I'm just glad Legendary decided to say "Fuk All" and gave it 200 million. Not to mention that the 200 million dollar budget could be more proof that the movie is VERY promising and has gained absolute trust among the CEO's of Legendary.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't believe it until I see it. 200 million is way too much and most people are still iffy about Godzilla after what happen in 1998.
No, just no. There is no debate in this. A 200 or 150 million dollar budget each have their own ups and downs and saying that one is a bad idea or one is better than the other is useless. In fact, it's not a matter of logic anymore it's more of a choice that Legendary will make. They'll decide what budget to give , but as until now, 200 million is a bit more likely due to the recent rumors.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

What if the studio was impressed with Edward's presentation and the script?

Whatever happened to risk-taking?
Oh crap I forgot to mention that. This is another reason why it's more probable that it will have a 200 mil budget, the script has manged to get the attention of a lot of good actors, most whom were skeptical about the movie and even demanded to read the script or else there would be no deal. I'm pretty sure the script impressed Legendary as well and will give it the 200 mil. I hope so, I want to see as much Godzilla action and destruction as possible.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

First Off, If the budget is 200$ million let's give a major Congratulations to Gareth Edwards. Seriously going from 1$ million one film to 200$ million on the second is fantastic achievement for any director.

Second, 200$ million could be accurate if memory serves me right wasn't (Godzilla vs The Gryphon) a 150$ million budget before Sony flipped? Now Godzilla is battling 2 monsters plus the Army and Navy? At this point i would be surprised if it was under 175$ million.

Finally, Gareth's presentation to the studio not to mention to teaser shown at Comic Con 2012 must have had real promise to warrant such a budget. Just by the casting choices you can see there going all out with this entry an that's exactly what is needed to revive this series.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Jomei wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't believe it until I see it. 200 million is way too much and most people are still iffy about Godzilla after what happen in 1998.
Didn't Legendary give 200 mil to Pacific Rim? And that's not even a recognizable franchise--not yet, anyway.
That's because Del Toro has a good track record here and his movies always turn out well expect for Mimic. With Godzilla, most people still remember GINO. Movies with that amount of money have been known to bomb. What if the movie sucks? You can't gamble on something that big just because the movie is based on a popular character that has not been popular for decades. You think after Jack the Giant Slayer that LP would play safe again.
The problem with your logic is that you're looking at this movie in such a "the glass is half-empty" perspective that you are failing to see all the good news we know so far. Most of the actors didn't want to be in the film without reading the script because they thought it would be crap, but of course they still excepted, which means the script must be REALLY good so it deserves the 200 mil. And even if the Public doesn't like the story or movie, 200 mil is enough to pack A LOT of action, which is basically what the kiddies want to see these days and will drag their friends and family to see it. Just look at Bayformers and Battle LA.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

$200 million is quite easy to earn back, especially given that most US films relies on overseas gross to make even or make a profit.

The real issue is whether the movie will make twice its budget to warrant a sequel. $400 million dollars at the box office?

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Gino made around that much-and that blew.

If this is truly a good one, expect around 600 mil at least.
Didn't GINO spend a ridiculous amount of money on marketing? The main thing that killed off GINO as a franchise is mostly due to the bad word of mouth than not earning enough money.
Last edited by ray243 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Jomei wrote:The casual movie goer probably doesn't have super strong feelings regarding GINO.
GINO is most likely the only Godzilla film that I saw and most people hated it. I feel like if the movie bombs then this will likely ruined Godzilla's chance in the US forever.
If this movie sucks then Godzilla doesn't need to come back to the US in film form.

GINO also did one of two things.

1. When I went everyone in the theater went this isn't Godzilla.

2. When fans that took their children saw GINO they immediately went out a bought a real Godzilla movie to show them. The prequels had the same effect on people.

Finally HS if the only word of mouth is the movie was bad because it didn't contain GINO which is the only argument I see if the film doesn't suck it not going to be a from enough movie goers to make a difference. Someone would have to prove to me that there is that large amount of GINO fanboys in the world.

P.S. Both Godzilla 98 and Godzilla 2000 were box office successes see fans will do are part but Edwards needs to do his part and get critics on his side.

What if this movie went on to out sale Avatar though and won Movie of the year for 2014. A guy can dream.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

miguelnuva wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Jomei wrote:The casual movie goer probably doesn't have super strong feelings regarding GINO.
GINO is most likely the only Godzilla film that I saw and most people hated it. I feel like if the movie bombs then this will likely ruined Godzilla's chance in the US forever.
If this movie sucks then Godzilla doesn't need to come back to the US in film form.

GINO also did one of two things.

1. When I went everyone in the theater went this isn't Godzilla.

2. When fans that took their children saw GINO they immediately went out a bought a real Godzilla movie to show them. The prequels had the same effect on people.

Finally HS if the only word of mouth is the movie was bad because it didn't contain GINO which is the only argument I see if the film doesn't suck it not going to be a from enough movie goers to make a difference. Someone would have to prove to me that there is that large amount of GINO fanboys in the world.

P.S. Both Godzilla 98 and Godzilla 2000 were box office successes see fans will do are part but Edwards needs to do his part and get critics on his side.

What if this movie went on to out sale Avatar though and won Movie of the year for 2014. A guy can dream.
Outsell Avatar and win Movie of the Year 2014? Yep, a guy can only dream. *Sigh

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If that happened I don't usually do this but I'd by the the blu ray, dvd and 3-D versions and put one up to never open.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Aside from all the obvious differences between GINO an Godzilla 2014 is the fact that Legendary is not trying to ride on Godzilla's success like Sony.

Sony was riding on the success of the 90's series an the major success of Dinosaur movies like Jurassic park, which is why there expectations were extremely high for the project.

The Godzilla franchise now is like Batman's was at the end of ''Batman and Robin'' on life-support. They know Godzilla 1998 was a disappointment, They know Godzilla: Final Wars was also a let down in Japan, and that the franchise has been dormant for a decade. There not viewing this as an ''Easy Cash-in'' but something that has potential to really pay off.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

You want further proof of how this film will be different and better than GINO?

Watch the video of Gareth Edwards today. Look how exhausted he looks. He is going to be putting his heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into this project

In Edwards I trust.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

gatorzilla wrote:You want further proof of how this film will be different and better than GINO?

Watch the video of Gareth Edwards today. Look how exhausted he looks. He is going to be putting his heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into this project

In Edwards I trust.
He looks exhausted as fuk and it's only the first day! DAMN!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

When a man compares a job to trying to lose his virginity you know he's putting a lot of work into his job.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

gatorzilla wrote:
In Edwards I trust.
Please, lets not turn into Nolanites.
Yooo 8-)

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Thrilled that they started production! $200 Million? This movie better kick some serious a$$!

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

Gawdziller wrote: Team Edwards!