Story details for GODZILLA emerge

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Re: Story details for GODZILLA emerge

Post by Hipster Thor »

Captain Aktion wrote:^No, I read that part and all it does is set up something even further removed from anything an audience who isn't coming from a place of "love" for this material already is ready to grasp and ride out. Star Wars works; know why? The only thing new in it were the FX and props; the plotting, structure, and the things you're expecting an audience to ride with are all familiar to people who watch a broad spectrum of fiction.

Star Wars sets up Empire which is extremely more complex than New Hope. Iron Man sets up the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone set's up the rest of the series. You're disagreeing with me purely out of personal bias. I'm providing fans, members of this forum, who already know everything, where this will all eventually go. If you're the average audience member watching this first segment, then everything will make sense in a logical, visual, and entertaining way. Then when the next film or episode comes around they already have the base information they need to enjoy it and can enjoy that movie as well.
Your's reads as a love letter to Godzilla fandom; not a reboot, a reimagining, or a re-inspiration. It's rehash.
And Star Wars and Indiana Jones are exactly like adventure serials and space operas of the early 20th century. Sometimes bordering plagiarism. they merely take the best qualities of those serials and operas and take away the bad ones and put it into film, while updating the production design, writing, faces, and effects for the new generation. That's what this is here.

And one can argue based off of what we've heard about the story line of Godzilla 2014, that it may well be going to be a rehash of Cloverfield or Monsters.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:And do the fun begins...
Yup. Snarkiness from snarky people. I'm tired of shit like this cluttering up the threads.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:And do the fun begins...
Yup. Snarkiness from snarky people. I'm tired of shit like this cluttering up the threads.
Yuh. And with this bit of actual wisdom, I'm going to bid adieu to this speculation thread; as that's all that this is so far. I still have yet to see an attributable quote to anyone involved in this production and it's quickly devolving into a fan-fic op.

Let's talk about the movie when it's out.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Man just got through that above novel...good but I find it too unoriginal

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Just read through your post, Donkun. A lot of interesting ideas there, although you've thought MUCH further ahead than any Hollywood studio will really be interested in hearing about. ^_^() Now, your actual premise is pretty fun:
The year is 2023. Ten years prior a massive meteorite made out of an unknown metal crashed into the planet, causing widespread destruction to the global environment. However, rather than exploding on impact like most meteorites do, this one maintained it's complete form. That of a reflective sphere with bizarre carvings ingrained into it. Officially it was ruled as a rock from space. Unofficially, the sphere has been taken to the South Pole to be studied in a top secret research facility, 3 miles beneath the Earth. The sphere emitted a strange energy signal. It has since been called "The Beacon", and it woke up Godzilla and other monsters(I had this idea before IDW did), who proceed to decimate certain human cities. Godzilla being at the forefront. 10 years in the future, society has somewhat rebuilt alongside adapting to the monsters' existence and coming up with ways to combat them. Such as G-Force and the KCN. Godzilla appears to wreck havoc and does so for the majority of the film. KCN scrambles to control the damage and project his trajectory, while G-Force tries combatting it with the latest battleship, Gotengo. Meanwhile, Red Bamboo seeks an opportunity to kidnap a UN scientist while the UN is focused on quelling Godzilla. They force him to create their own Godzilla, which is obviously Biollante. Biollante makes landfall in Anchorage Alaska, and of course Godzilla is the only thing to stop it.
Honestly, it sounds like an interesting fusion of Godzilla vs. Biollante and Pacific Rim, with a few elements of Evangelion, Final Wars, and IDW's Godzilla tossed in. An issue with this, though, is that you spend a bit too much time explaining the world and not enough explaining the actual plot. Who are the heroes? Who are the villains? It sounds like the main plot threads are Godzilla vs. the KCN and G-Force and the Red Bamboo kidnapping the scientist to create Biollante. So, I guess the heros are KCN/G-Force personnel and the bad buys the Red Bamboo operatives/leaders? That works. I like the concept, but this is a lot for a general audience to swallow for a first film. Think of other films in major franchises: they're self-contained and often simplistic. Pirates of the Caribbean worked off pirate stereotypes to ease people into its world, Star Wars threw a lot at us but gave us an everyman hero who it would all be explained to (plus the iconic title scroll), Star Trek '09 and the recent Batman movies took advantage of everyone already knowing the basics of those stories. Regardless, I think your idea is definitely doable. It takes inspiration from the more sci-fi and fantastic parts of the franchise, and with the right writer and director I think it could work.

(It's not the route I would take, as I personally prefer the more grounded real world take Edwards is going with that'll be more akin to the first two films or G'84, but I'd see your movie and probably love it too.)

Also, and this is more of a nitpick, I'd recommend changing the finale location from Anchorage to a much bigger and more well-known city like Los Angeles, Sydney, or Tokyo.

Rossk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rossk »

I want Godzilla to be discovered in Africa or something.
'MURICA!

Laserface121
Monarch Researcher

Post by Laserface121 »

Here's my idea of a Godzilla reboot. It pretty much takes a good amount of inspiration from Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and the Dark Horse Godzilla one-shot (where Godzilla was a doom-bringer). The plot is, every half-millenia or so, monsters awaken from their slumber to lay fight against each other. Over the course of the movie, Godzilla and the other monsters pretty much cripple a good chunk of human civilization while being immune to conventional weapons. It is then the humans realize that there are two ways to fight the beasts: 1. Use unconventional weapons and 2. Have the monsters fight each other. It then ends in Washington D.C. where all the monsters who have survived up to this point engage in an all-out free-for-all. One of the main human characters manages to hijack MechaGodzilla and flies into the sea with Godzilla before self-destructing the machine while Mothra returns the monsters to their slumber. However, just before the credits, Godzilla is revealed to not only be alive, but also still active.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Why do most fan-stories end in a massive cluster of monsters fighting?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Copperydock wrote:Why do most fan-stories end in a massive cluster of monsters fighting?
Everyone wants a repeat of Destroy All Monsters, I guess?

Personally, I prefer one-on-one fights.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Should this be a time piece like it taking place in the 50's or something

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

gojira012 wrote:Should this be a time piece like it taking place in the 50's or something
Honestly, that's what I was hoping they'd do. I dropped any hope of that when the image from the teaser was leaked, now I think it's pretty certain it will take place in the present day. I still think, though, that Godzilla probably works best when placed in the '50s and '60s, the same way King Kong works best placed in the '20s or '30s.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Donkun's ideas are meh. The whole Battra/Mothra thing has been done. I'm not really in the mood for a rehash. Which this all kinda is. The actual plot is cliched and tiresome. Would I go see it? Of course. I'm a Godzilla fan first. It would be worth the price of admission to see the American interpretations of classic monsters. But I don't see the layman giving two shits, and the critics will likely be unkind.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Jomei wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Yes. To me having new monsters instead having old ones is like having a Batman movie with new villains that didn't exist in the comics. I don't see why it won't be hard to use someone like Rodan or KG? I remember reading that Toho give Sony a list of choices of monsters to used for their films in the early 90's.
Do you really want a rehash of old monsters and stories? Isn't that half of what was wrong with most of the Heisei series?
But this is not a Toho film. This is an American film and none of the other Toho monsters have been used on screen. It may be old for us fans, but for the general public that it's pretty new seeing Mothra, Rodan or King Ghidorah for the first time. Not to mention we haven't had a evil KG since 1998.
No, not really, most of the general public are aware of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah, they've seen movies that starred them on TV before, hell they even know that they are in the IDW comics. They know Toho's iconic nonsters. The 1990's weren't that long ago.

And its been mentioned on the Godzilla 3D Page recently that Legendary Pictures only has rights to Godzilla, they did not by the rights for any other Toho Monster. So these New Monsters are indeed just that, New Monsters.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Blackout286 wrote:No, not really, most of the general public are aware of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah, they've seen movies that starred them on TV before, hell they even know that they are in the IDW comics. They know Toho's iconic nonsters. The 1990's weren't that long ago.
No. Hellspawn has a point. You're exaggerating the familiarity of the general public with the franchise. They might know the monsters exist, but they probably aren't very familiar with the plots of the movies. And I guarantee the vast majority of the movie-going audience is not at all familiar with the IDW comic series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm fine with this.

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS were my favorites and they followed soliders..
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Tyler wrote:I don't see why people are so against classic monsters when we haven't even seen them utilized properly in some of the newer Toho films. I understand if they can't use monsters other than Godzilla but why have a Ghidorah placeholder when you can have the actual Ghidorah? Or Mothra? It's an American film but you think it would help at the Japanese box office and distance itself from GINO.
I would've preferred some classic monsters (particularly King Ghidorah, Gigan, or Mechagodzilla). But I'll be fine with some new ones. You never know. They might be good.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

It would be sweet if the two monsters were Angurus/Rodan & Mothra's larva form.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Blackout286 wrote:No, not really, most of the general public are aware of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah, they've seen movies that starred them on TV before, hell they even know that they are in the IDW comics. They know Toho's iconic nonsters. The 1990's weren't that long ago.
No. Hellspawn has a point. You're exaggerating the familiarity of the general public with the franchise. They might know the monsters exist, but they probably aren't very familiar with the plots of the movies. And I guarantee the vast majority of the movie-going audience is not at all familiar with the IDW comic series.
Not really, only the newer generation portion of the general public do not know. A majority has seen Godzilla vs. The Thing, or Godzilla vs. Monster Zero multiple times before whenever they were aired. Including knowledge of the likes of Megalon and Gigan due to Scifi channel and its own airings. And of course due to Godzilla vs. Megalon being historically known throughout the U.S for good and bad reasons. They generally know the monsters, I doubt they did or would care about the plots that had involved them. Due to the vast fame of Godzilla: HCW I've encountered non-fans in real life and online who are now exposed to the IDW series and want to see what else they got. (Not much they'll probably like) You can't really guarantee for sure. I mostly can't either on my part, but due to HCW I think I can safely say that most are very much aware of the IDW comics. Especially with so many ads, meetings, and interviews were put out when IDW first attained the rights and were pumping out Kingdom of Monsters.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:Wall of text! My eyes! They Burn!

Wordiest...post...ever! You should write books for a Elder Scrolls game Svistka. :)
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think the older generation has seen most of the older films. I'm pretty sure the young generation (Kids and teens) most likely never saw a Godzilla film outside of GINO.
^ This I will absolutely agree with.

The older generation has been exposed to Toho monsters and the Godzilla films. Especially with constant marathons and airings. The newer generation haven't been exposed to the films. I will agree with you on that.