Powers and abilities speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Chewbactimusprime
Young Farmer

Re: Powers and abilities speculation

Post by Chewbactimusprime »

Can't say I'm a fan of the "flying backward using atomic breath" technique..other than that I'm ok with abilities that make good "Godzilla sense". That is, anything he does that when you see it you think, "Ok, it makes sense that he can do that." I'm really not even sure what exactly that means, but I think we'll know it when we see it. For example, Superman IV, when he uses his "rebuild the Great Wall of China" vision. It had no precedence, and can't be understood as an extension of his known visual abilities. Nothing about heat vision, x-ray vision, micro or macro vision in any way implies Superman can cause a brick wall to rebuild itself just by staring at it. It makes no sense whatsoever. But giving Godzilla one ability or several makes me wonder, how intelligent is he going to be in this film? Think back to Hulk 2008, at the end when he slaps his hands together put out the helicoptor fire. For him to take that action in the first place requires first an undertanding of several scientific principles: that the space around him is filled with an atmosphere, that ripples are created in it when objects in the air interact in different ways, that fast moving air can extinguish flame, even that he's capable of slapping he hands together so hard it can create sufficient "wind" to put out the fire in the first place, and all of which happened pretty fast, requiring quick thinking, no way around it. Getting back to the main trailer, we see multiple planes falling from the sky in a scene. They didn't appear to be damaged, or smoking/melted, it was if they had simply lost power mid-air, which I believe would be consistence with the effects of any EMP powers he might have. For Godzilla to release such a pulse intentionally directed at his attackers, he would have to have some awareness of aircraft being affected by such a thing. If he possesses the intelligence of an animal only, like in the 1998 movie, such a pulse, or the atomic breath for that matter, would be used as a defense mechanism only most likely. In fact I think in the 1998 film, we saw the breath thing used once, directed at things that were chasing him..because he was RUNNING FROM THEM! I don't think I've seen the real Godzilla run from anything. But I digress. The point is, they shouldn't show us that he's just a big dumb animal and then give him abilities that require the intelligence of a person to execute. And probably not the Hanna-Barbara laser vision either, that would just come off campy. From what I've seen so far, this Godzilla gets NO camp. Way more of a "release the Kracken" feel, which is exactly what I'm hoping for.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Killswitch wrote:I asked this on the MUTO's thread, but are there any rumored powers for the MUTO's?
Spoiler:
As of now we have a EMP pulse and a shockwave like attack similar to a pistol shrimp

70ApolloStaged
Ronin

Post by 70ApolloStaged »

If his breath is just a radiation beam that is incredibly hot traveling at high speed, it would be believable if there was Red-Orange flame exploding from his mouth along with it. Superheated air creates a plasma jet of fire. The Navy's rail gun tests have huge gouts of plasma fire exiting with the projectile even though the weapon fires magnetically and the projectile is solid with no explosives. It is the speed of the projectile superheating the air that creates this effect. Would be believable if Godzilla's beam did this. Always thought G2000 had this effect about as close to realistic as could bee expected.