Pacific Rim a test for Godzilla

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Re: Pacific Rim a test for Godzilla

Post by Mr. Xeno »

gatorzilla wrote: Because one movie that has NOTHING to do with Godzilla is going to have an affect on a 60 year franchise character right? :roll:
If PR bombs because no one cares about giant monsters, then Godzilla will probably bomb too. But the two franchises both are giant monster heavy, and therefore they have a lot in common, at least in the general audiences' views. We mega-fans who know everything there is to know about both films obviously see the differences, so WE obviously don't think of the two as connected. But that doesn't mean that the mass audience will view these films the same way. They could easily pass over Godzilla because they already saw enough giant monsters in PR. This is of course just speculation, and both will probably do very well at the box office.

But hey, I'm just glad you're not complaining about how niche Godzilla is, and actually acknowledge his popularity.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Living Corpse wrote:It's be wiser to say it's testing the market for giant monster films in general and not Godzilla specifically. From what I gather Super Hero movies are slowing down a little bit and they are looking for the next big thing and Giant Monsters might be it.
A new Superman film.

A new Batman trilogy.

A Justice League movie.

A new Iron Man movie.

Thor 2.

Captain America 2.

The Guardians.

A new Fantastic Four reboot.

Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Avengers 2 and 3.

A new Wolverine movie.

X-Men First Class sequel.

I don't see it slowing down. I think it's stronger than ever.
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
gatorzilla wrote: These movies will have ZERO effect on each other
I wouldn't say that. By virtue of just being monster movies, audiences will compare the two. There will be some sort of effect. I HIGHLY doubt that it will be a "make or break" effect, though. In fact, I went to see The Hobbit again a few days ago. This obnoxious old guy was sitting in front of me and when the Pacific Rim trailer played he said, out loud, something like "Get that shit off the screen. We don't need another Godzilla movie." Granted, that man was an ass. But it does mean people will draw comparisons of some sort and, thus, effect the movies in one way or another.
Name me movies that people DONT compare :lol: how much comparison was there between Avengers and TDKR? Just because there is comparison doesnt mean the box office revenue will be affected.
Mr. Xeno wrote: If PR bombs because no one cares about giant monsters, then Godzilla will probably bomb too. But the two franchises both are giant monster heavy, and therefore they have a lot in common, at least in the general audiences' views. We mega-fans who know everything there is to know about both films obviously see the differences, so WE obviously don't think of the two as connected. But that doesn't mean that the mass audience will view these films the same way. They could easily pass over Godzilla because they already saw enough giant monsters in PR. This is of course just speculation, and both will probably do very well at the box office.

But hey, I'm just glad you're not complaining about how niche Godzilla is, and actually acknowledge his popularity.
Of course Godzilla is popular! Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Think about this....GINO made 400 million worldwide for as bad as it was. Now adjust ticket prices from 98 to present and then add a GOOD Godzilla movie from the company that did the The Dark Knight Trilogy. Box office hit right there.

Godzilla will do fine regardless what Pacific Rim does. Godzilla is a CHARACTER not just some giant monster. He had personality and soul that can be adapted into anything. Thats how he has been around for 60 years.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

gatorzilla wrote:Name me movies that people DONT compare how much comparison was there between Avengers and TDKR? Just because there is comparison doesnt mean the box office revenue will be affected.
It's not just about comparisons, though that does play a part in how much a movie makes. It's about them being part of the same genre. For instance, although it's anecdotal evidence, I know a lot of people personally and online who didn't go see John Carter, or did see it and didn't like it because they thought it was "ripping off Star Wars." If people aren't wowed by Pacific Rim, they might not be AS excited for Godzilla. That's not to say it will REALLY take away from its performance and reception. But to pretend that one won't affect the other is ignorant. These are both giant monster movies, something we don't get very often in the US, separated only by one year. The reaction Pacific Rim gets will be taken into consideration by Legendary when creating Godzilla. If it does well, it's fair to say a portion of the movie-going audience, even if it's small, will look forward to another Legendary-produced monster movie. If it doesn't, that portion may do the opposite. Word of mouth gets around. Thus, box office revenue WILL be affected in some capacity. So your assertion that one will have "ZERO" impact on the other is silly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

gatorzilla wrote: Of course Godzilla is popular! Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Think about this....GINO made 400 million worldwide for as bad as it was. Now adjust ticket prices from 98 to present and then add a GOOD Godzilla movie from the company that did the The Dark Knight Trilogy. Box office hit right there.

Godzilla will do fine regardless what Pacific Rim does. Godzilla is a CHARACTER not just some giant monster. He had personality and soul that can be adapted into anything. Thats how he has been around for 60 years.
THANK YOU! In fact, I'll do the math for us all:

GINO
Budget: $130,000,000
Domestic Box Office: $136,000,000
Profit:$6,000,000
Foreign: $242,000,000
Profit: $112,000,000
Worldwide: $379,000,000
Combined Profit: $249,000,000

Budget Adjusted For Inflation: $183,000,000
Worldwide Adjusted For Inflation: $535,000,000
Total Adjusted Profit: $355,000,000

I don't know about you, but those numbers look pretty good to me. GINO was NOT a bomb, it just underperformed according to estimates ($70,000,000+ opening weekend, breaking the record at the time).

If the 2014 film got those numbers I'd be pretty satisfied. Personally, I guesstimate a $150,000,000+ domestic gross and a $500,000,000+ worldwide gross.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Mr. Xeno wrote:Personally, I guesstimate a $150,000,000+ domestic gross and a $500,000,000+ worldwide gross.
That's pretty modest estimate. But we'll have to wait and see the details to guess whether or not it might be higher or lower. Guessing at revenues at this point is tricky.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I'd still like to know what budget they gave Gareth Edwards for Godzilla

Pacific Rim is the first step in attempting to revive the ''Monster Genre'' which as stated above if successful will build more hype for Godzilla. I doubt Edwards Godzilla film will cost as much as Del Toro's Pacific Rim an since Godzilla is already a well established character with a fan-base it's safe to say as long as the film isn't complete crap an they don't over-shoot the budget like **John Carter** the chances of Godzilla flopping are much lower then Pacific Rims.

Godzilla will need at-least 400$ million with mixed to mostly positive reviews to green-light a sequel.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I'd still like to know what budget they gave Gareth Edwards for Godzilla
Yeah, I would have thought some news regarding the budget would have escaped LP's clutch by now.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I'd still like to know what budget they gave Gareth Edwards for Godzilla

Pacific Rim is the first step in attempting to revive the ''Monster Genre'' which as stated above if successful will build more hype for Godzilla. I doubt Edwards Godzilla film will cost as much as Del Toro's Pacific Rim an since Godzilla is already a well established character with a fan-base it's safe to say as long as the film isn't complete crap an they don't over-shoot the budget like **John Carter** the chances of Godzilla flopping are much lower then Pacific Rims.

Godzilla will need at-least 400$ million with mixed to mostly positive reviews to green-light a sequel.
Thats something interesting to think about....now IMHO Pacific Rim is the one that is the BIGGEST risk right now. It has a 200+ million budget for something that is unproven and the only thing it has is Del Toro's name (which isnt THAT big considering he's never broken 100 million domestically) plus as several on here have stated people are calling this a rip off of other established franchises like Evangelion and such. It'll be interesting to see how this does opening weekend.

As you stated Godzilla is already a brand name character with an established fan base and franchise so a GOOD film will not be hard to sell. I have no doubt in my mind this will be an excellent film....Box office is the only thing that worries me as money talks loudest. Hopefully that stupid ass "Ninja Turtles" movie will get its release date changed.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

To be quite honest, I don't see the Ninja Turtles movie taking away from Godzilla much at this point. It's coming under some pretty heavy fire for its bullshit.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:To be quite honest, I don't see the Ninja Turtles movie taking away from Godzilla much at this point. It's coming under some pretty heavy fire for its bullshit.
Is it even moving forward? I dont think they've even started casting yet.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

I think Superman fans are probably just as nervous for MOS and G-fans are for Godzilla

There is SO MUCH riding on both films for both fan bases.

Pacific Rim has nothing to lose.

Godzilla and Superman have everything. The stakes are so high for both franchises.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

I'm not really even sure about that, HS. The news of what Michael Bay is doing has spread to quite a few people. Not just TMNT fans. But it's true that a trailer can really help or really hurt a movie.

Jacob Kaiju X
Monsterland Worker

Post by Jacob Kaiju X »

Well, I think it might be possible that we could see a revised giant monster/kaiju or super robot genre if both films are pretty successful. However, I don't think Pacific Rim is a test for Godzilla, but I could see it as a gateway in getting interest for the movie.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think TMNT will do that great neither, but I think the casual viewer will likely pick TMNT over Godzilla sadly. It would be funny if both films end up flopping and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 beats them both :lol: .
And me being a spider-man fan ALMOST as much as a Godzilla fan would be pretty happy either way.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

zilla103192 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think TMNT will do that great neither, but I think the casual viewer will likely pick TMNT over Godzilla sadly. It would be funny if both films end up flopping and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 beats them both :lol: .
And me being a spider-man fan ALMOST as much as a Godzilla fan would be pretty happy either way.
I'm actually a bigger Spidey-fan than a Godzilla fan (My room is covered in Spider-man merch and there's only one Godzilla figure). So I'd actually prefer that. I don't necessarily think it'll happen, though. lol

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would need a miracle to surpass Godzilla opening weekend, that film has had zero progress recently an unless it rushes production an comes out half ass it wont make that release date, if so the negative reviews will kill it before first weekends end.

On the other hand, Godzilla will need extremely positive reviews to keep up with Spiderman 2. I thought The Amazing Spiderman was terrible but general audiences will go for Spiderman before Godzilla although it could pull a ''Skyfall'' an lose to Spiderman's opening weekend but regain first place in the following weeks if the over-all responses are positive.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Isn't the Spider-man release date like two weeks ahead of Godzilla? I think that's probably time enough for Spidey-hype to begin to dissipate and for Godzilla to take the number one spot at least somewhere in its run, assuming the general public feels attracted enough.

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

For me PR is like an "appetizer" for the "main course" that is Godzilla...But that's only probably due to the release dates and whatnot...
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

Togera
Ronin

Post by Togera »

I kind of thought of Pacific Rim as a foreshadowing (sorry for my spelling) Not that Pacific Rim or Godzilla would be in the same series, but kind of what was to come up in the future.
Running is not an option in the apocalypse. Unless its a Kaiju Apocalypse...THEN you run....