What will make this a good film for you?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

What will make this a good film for you?

Post by gatorzilla »

Since people seem to be diverse on what they want out of this movie I have to ask......What will make this a good film for YOU? What do you want out of it? What needs to happen in order for you to call this a successful/good Godzilla film?

Im an easy to please Godzilla fan so as long as its Godzilla that is ALL I care about.

I just want a good story and action scenes with top notch special effects. I want Godzilla to be Godzilla just brought into the modern generation.
Kick ass monster battles.

Keep the traditional look and feel of Godzilla but bring it into the modern world.

That is what will make me happy.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: What will make this a good film for you?

Post by Smuggers »

I'll be happy as long as the film does some interesting things and isn't a rehash of a pre-existing films, which it seems a lot of people want it to be.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

monster Z
Yojimbo

Post by monster Z »

How do you guys feel about the ones who will rag on this film because its not a Japanese film?
Or the fans will nitpick at it even though Godzilla is done correctly?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Honestly? As long as it's Godzilla, I'll probably like it. The worst it can be for me is boring.

That wouldn't necessarily make it a good film, but this thread seems to be more about personal feelings than critical analysis.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Because behind the project there are people who actually cares for Godzilla.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:Because behind the project there are people who actually cares for Godzilla.
The last time someone said that, they remade and ruined the movie... that being Rob Zombie and his remake of Halloween. But that's a totally different subject. I am putting my trust into Legendary and people working on Godzilla.
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

'Grounded in reality' is the oft quoted line LP are using for this, so I'm guessing there won't be any alien form of involvement, which I think is good. I want to see Godzilla as the focus of the movie and for him to take centre stage!
There are recurring rumours that another monster will be involved and as much as I love Godzilla's traditional enemies, I'm hoping it's only some minor menace created by LP, just to give him the chance of a scrap and to emerge victorious, to carry his rampage of destruction!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

DarkLord wrote:'Grounded in reality' is the oft quoted line LP are using for this, so I'm guessing there won't be any alien form of involvement
If that's the case then you couldn't have Godzilla to begin with. Aliens are no less realistic than a gigantic radioactive reptile. Seriously, I really think people take Gareth Edwards comment to mean something it doesn't. When he said "grounded" and "realistic" he was referring to how real world events would be affected by something like this.

Anyways, a decent story and some kickass monster action will make this movie fun for me.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Let me quote Gareth Edwards at Comic Con for you guys-
The idea is to imagine if this really happened, as crazy as it sounds, what would it really be like?
THAT is what he ment folks by grounded and realistic.

Scifi/fantasy is what Pacific Rim will be. Godzilla is going to be different.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Jomei wrote:Oh look, it's this conversation again.

Why don't we wait until we have seen some footage or something before we act as if we're certain how the film is going to be?
Seriously? I was explainig the differences in my own opinion. Why is that worth getting upset over?

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Jomei wrote:Who's upset? You made a statement, and I expressed my opinion that the statement wasn't necessarily founded and that it's silly to keep having the same conversation about what "grounded in reality" means over and over again. :lol: I didn't think [funny Ultraman gif] communicated "Grr I'm angry." ;)
Oh I thought you were upset because i said Pacific Rim was Scifi/Fantasy :lol:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I want the movie to be awesome - and no, I am not using 'awesome' in the mere slang form. As Jomei stated before, the movie doesn't need to be as heavily handed as GOJIRA, but I certainly believe Godzilla should be presented in a truly awe-inspiring, intimidating manner.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote: Thirdly (optional) Roland Emmerich getting mocked, maimed, or killed in some way shape or form along with all his fanboys.
I respectfully disagree here. This will only come across as crass and immature. LPG does not need to - and should not - make any reference to GINO. It's a well-known fact that D&E messed up. Let's stop beating that dead horse and leave it behind us. The best thing we can do is forget about it.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Exactly; I'm glad to see we're on the same page. :-)

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

What will make this good for me?

- A Godzilla faithful to Godzilla.
- Serious, dark, and epic tone. Action sequences directed with good taste.
- Good human actors/characters.
- Cinematography that's done with good taste. None of that hand-held shaky BS.
- A good story that has well-written development.
- Epic, classical score.

Basically, it needs to be a GOOD MOVIE.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I do have faith that the makers of this movie will get Godzilla right. I think he will be virtually indestructable and have his plasma breath ray and modern but recognizable look.

I like that they are going for realism so I do not expect that the movie will be silly.

What will be more curcial for me is the human aspect of the story. I want intelligent and likable characters. I want the story to have some type of heart. I want to care about them and care about what they are going through.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

I only have one criterion for this film: That Godzilla is Godzilla. If he looks recognizably Godzilla, and has the powers normally associated with Godzilla (atomic breath, resistance to injury, military does nothing to him, etc.), I will more than likely be pleased. If Godzilla is what we all already know him as in those respects, they would have to do something incredible for me to not enjoy the film.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Living Corpse wrote:Final Wars already did that to bury the hatchet. No need to dig it up again plus like Rody said it was a lame attempt by a hack to make himself look better by reminding everyone of two even bigger hacks.
That's not what I was discussing, actually - but I do appreciate that scene from FW.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

An American Godzilla who is faithful to his Japanese counterpart (in terms of his look, powers (atomic breath, nearly indestructable)

Likeable characters
A well balanced tone (a serious movie with some humor to put the audience at ease)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I want Godzilla to destroy an American city, because it's an American film.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0