The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Ōei »

He's lying.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I've only been on this board since last year but I was a lurker since 2010. I'm hoping this movie is a success and this board will be as active as it is now. I've been on Godzilla message boards for many years and have seen many good ones bite the dust due to low participation. Hoping that won't happen here.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

Godzilla21 wrote:I've only been on this board since last year but I was a lurker since 2010. I'm hoping this movie is a success and this board will be as active as it is now. I've been on Godzilla message boards for many years and have seen many good ones bite the dust due to low participation. Hoping that won't happen here.
TK has been around since the early 2000s and the forums since 2005 if not earlier. From 2006-2009 there was arguably nothing substantial about a new film. just that Hedorah 3-D rumor that had been around since final wars.

Maverick Centigrade
Xilien Halfling

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Godzilla21 wrote:I've only been on this board since last year but I was a lurker since 2010. I'm hoping this movie is a success and this board will be as active as it is now. I've been on Godzilla message boards for many years and have seen many good ones bite the dust due to low participation. Hoping that won't happen here.
This place has been around for a while, I knew of the actual main website for a long time, though I never visited or lurked the forums till last year. So I don't think this place is in any danger of falling into obscurity. Though I have noticed a few regulars stop posting.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

I doubt he's lying. He had the exclusive shirt to prove it.

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

Janjira54 wrote:I doubt he's lying. He had the exclusive shirt to prove it.
... okay? By all accounts some final things with the film are still being worked on. i don't know how some weird middle eastern dude could see it. :eh:

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

^I could've sworn Toho saw the final film just last week...

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

That's is true. I wonder if it was a private screening with a selected group of people

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Meh, Arab oil sheikhs and their kids have enough money to get anything.
In my opinion, of course.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Well the supposed screening took place in a very upscale theater in Dubai, I could see the rich people getting a very exclusive screening at that Mall, which by the way is The Mall of the Emerates.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Dorkzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Dorkzilla »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I think my earliest memory with the film is when Edwards was announced, in 2010 right? I was kinda dismissive of him, especially after seeing Monsters and not being all that impressed. Though that was a long time ago, I should see it again. My overall thoughts on the film was "yeah we'll see if this happens or not".
You have no idea how excited I got when I found out about this back in 2010. I remember thinking how long the wait would feel til 2012...

Well, turns out, the wait ended up being a bit longer. Hopefully, this films is able to live up to the hype.

Fenrir Project
Ronin

Godzilla name speculation

Post by Fenrir Project »

In an interview, director Gareth Edwards says that like "Man of Steel", the word Godzilla would not be spoken in the movie. So what do think they will refer to him as? Here are my guesses:
-Genesis
-Muto 1
-Nautilus

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla name speculation

Post by Janjira54 »

What if they call him Gojira the whole movie?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Well, not to be that guy but they did technically say "Superman" at least once in the movie. A similar thing might happen with this, and idk if Kanjira54 is joking or not, but maybe Gojira "legends" or something would be the basis for the name. Ironically that getting misheard and re-pronounced as Godzilla was not a bad idea in G98.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Tohosaurus wrote:Well, not to be that guy but they did technically say "Superman" at least once in the movie. A similar thing might happen with this, and idk if Kanjira54 is joking or not, but maybe Gojira "legends" or something would be the basis for the name. Ironically that getting misheard and re-pronounced as Godzilla was not a bad idea in G98.
Snowden's script had a scene where they say his name. I hope they say. I mean what's the point of NOT saying it?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Grizilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Grizilla »

NBE 1. there i did it.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

If they're going to give it a name, they might as well go with Godzilla short of some kind of code name like that MUTO/MUTO 1 thing.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

kgmovie
Monsterland Worker

Post by kgmovie »

Here's my understanding of what Snowdizzle said:
Spoiler:
The scientists name the frozen Godzilla species "Jira" and since the polynesian islanders thought it was their "God" the military combines the two. Someone (Stetz) then misstates the name Godzilla.
I think that's gonna end up in the deleted scenes. They'll either go with a much shorter explanation or not say it at all. Probably the latter.

Adeno
Monarch Researcher

Post by Adeno »

I wonder why certain movies these days don't like calling the characters by their well known names. What's wrong with calling Superman by his superhero name? What's wrong with calling zombies as they really are? A lot of zombie movies seem to be afraid of uttering the Z word. Now even Godzilla?

I bet if Samuel Jackson was in the movie, Godzilla would be called the "Big @$#%@! $(#*@!$ Monster!" :D
Adeno's Amazon Wishlist! Be a Genie, Fulfill a Godzilla Wish :D http://amzn.com/w/38TNJNEQW4REH
Adeno Fun Time Toy and Video Game Review Site: http://adenofuntime.blogspot.com/

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Time sure does fly when gossiping on the latest rumor.