The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Underworld54 »

Dannybeane wrote:Cloverfield is garbage, one of the worst films to come out in the past decade.
Come on now. Let me guess, you got motion sickness? It's so much more realistic than any other monster film.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I loved Cloverfield, but I'd be hard pressed to claim it's "The quintessential kaiju film"
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Underworld54 wrote:
Dannybeane wrote:Cloverfield is garbage, one of the worst films to come out in the past decade.
Come on now. Let me guess, you got motion sickness? It's so much more realistic than any other monster film.
No. I just loathe the found footage style. I hated pretty much all the characters except for Hud. I think the monster design is awful and I don't give a damn for realism. Whether or not a movie is realistic has little bearing on whether I think it's a good film. Also I thought the viral marketing campaign was obnoxious.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I enjoyed Cloverfield. Not a great film but a unique angle for a monster movie.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:>quintessential Kaiju film
>you could feel the heft of Clover when it walked

Despite Clover being in the film for about two minutes. Riiiiiight.
But you heard Clover for much more than that. Once Godzilla is off screen his presence isn't felt until he arrives back on screen 30 minutes later.
I felt Godzilla's presences much more than Clovers.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

Praising the unnecessary realism in a monster movie would be like praising unnecessary realism in a superhero movie. Just saying. "Realistic" (Unlikable characters and shaky cam) =/= good storytelling.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:>quintessential Kaiju film

But you heard Clover for much more than that. Once Godzilla is off screen his presence isn't felt until he arrives back on screen 30 minutes later.
How so?

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Say what you will about Godzilla's off-screen time, but at the very least his presence is made known when it is there or when they finally talk about him (speaking strictly in context of the 2014 movies, btw). Clover, as much as I hate to say it, is pretty much the equivalent to a jump-scare; you see him, then gone real quick (to be fair, he does leave a little bit more of an impact compared to a jump-scare :lol:). Don't get me wrong, I think the angle with Cloverfield is rather unique, seeing things through the eyes of the civilians running away from the monster(s). But hey, that's just my two-cents. Ya'll thing whatever ya'll want, since all of this is entirely subjective. ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:>quintessential Kaiju film

How so?
[/quote]

Clover is gone the second you see him, with Godzilla you knew he was chasing something and hunting the Mutos down who were causing tons of problems. Clover was in and out with unclear short scenes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I liked Cloverfield, but as recent giant monster movies go, I don't think it has anything on Godzilla '14, Pacific Rim, or the Host.

I'm actually kind of amazed Underworld likes it so much when all the things G '14s get criticized for are equally true (if not, more so) of Cloverfield - Weak human characters, minimal monster screen time, overly ambiguous marketing. They even performed the same at the box office.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

godzillalives88 wrote:I liked Cloverfield, but as recent giant monster movies go, I don't think it has anything on Godzilla '14, Pacific Rim, or the Host.

I'm actually kind of amazed Underworld likes it so much when all the things G '14s get criticized for are equally true (if not, more so) of Cloverfield - Weak human characters, minimal monster screen time, overly ambiguous marketing. They even performed the same at the box office.
Everything done in Cloverfield worked where in G'14 it failed. I thought the characters were fine in Cloverfield, they were innocent bystanders caught in the mess. Plus you always felt Clover lingering. Even in the tunnels you could hear Clover outside being bombed and shot at. The threat of the parasites in the tunnels was also exciting.

As far as the marketing is concerned, none of the trailers and tv spots made you think you were going to see the monster a lot. The whole leadup to the release was shrouded in mystery so I fully expected to not see it a lot, and that was ok with me. Cloverfield only had a $50M budget so I think taking that into consideration it showed the monster as much as it could have. They could have shown more of Godzilla
but they desided to focus on the Muto's instead. I didn't pay to see Muto's, I paid to see the titular monster, Godzilla.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Underworld54 wrote:
godzillalives88 wrote:I liked Cloverfield, but as recent giant monster movies go, I don't think it has anything on Godzilla '14, Pacific Rim, or the Host.

Everything done in Cloverfield worked where in G'14 it failed. I thought the characters were fine in Cloverfield, they were innocent bystanders caught in the mess. Plus you always felt Clover lingering. Even in the tunnels you could hear Clover outside being bombed and shot at. The threat of the parasites in the tunnels was also exciting.

As far as the marketing is concerned, none of the trailers and tv spots made you think you were going to see the monster a lot. The whole leadup to the release was shrouded in mystery so I fully expected to not see it a lot, and that was ok with me. Cloverfield only had a $50M budget so I think taking that into consideration it showed the monster as much as it could have. They could have shown more of Godzilla
but they desided to focus on the Muto's instead. I didn't pay to see Muto's, I paid to see the titular monster, Godzilla.
All Cloverfield's action is filtered through nausea-inducing shaky cam. I understand that's a budgetary thing, but at least Godzilla's set pieces are well staged and presented. Moreover, the marketing for Godzilla didn't feature a lot of him, so why is it so surprising the film didn't?

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

godzillalives88 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:

All Cloverfield's action is filtered through nausea-inducing shaky cam. I understand that's a budgetary thing, but at least Godzilla's set pieces are well staged and presented. Moreover, the marketing for Godzilla didn't feature a lot of him, so why is it so surprising the film didn't?
The shaky cam added to the authenticity of the film, it didn't bother me and I actually appreciated it.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Underworld54 wrote: The shaky cam added to the authenticity of the film, it didn't bother me and I actually appreciated it.
I'm not opposed to the found footage approach, I just thought they went too far with it. The Blair Witch Project, REC, and Exists all pulled it off without making me feel sick afterward,

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

http://youtu.be/klEk_wIRp6Q

Has anyone else seen this? It's a pretty damn interesting watch.

#BotM

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Im tempted to watch 1954 again.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

I realized today when thinking about how unrealistic it is that Ford managed to push to a safe distance a warhead with repercussions as supposedly devastating as they were simulated to be with minutes before detonation, that the ending scene of Godzilla 2014 might actually take place in a symbolic afterlife, and that the Bay Area and everyone in it save for perhaps Godzilla was destroyed by the bomb despite Ford's efforts. The blinding flash right before the ending scene and the off-puttingly tender atmosphere in the rest of that scene just makes me consider this even more.

Think I heard a while back though that the Brodys were supposed to be returning for the sequel, so that all but disproves my little fan theory.
Monsters are the real people.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I won't mind if Ford and his family were brought back for the sequel, but I kinda hoped future films would revolve around different characters from other walks of life, and that only Serizawa, Graham, and Stentz would stay constant.

I know for example the Heisei series had several reoccuring characters, but usually the cast is constantly changing.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Ford kind has to be there for the sequel I feel. His character feels essentially connected to Godzilla to me.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ernesth100 wrote:Ford kind has to be there for the sequel I feel. His character feels essentially connected to Godzilla to me.
He really doesn't. The story can continue without him. His story is over.