The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

It may just be me, but the little Troll's face from Cat's Eye looks G14ish
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:It may just be me, but the little Troll's face from Cat's Eye looks G14ish
It isn't just you, I was wondering were I had seen LegendaryGoji's face before.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

LiquidG wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:It may just be me, but the little Troll's face from Cat's Eye looks G14ish
Good, I thought it was just me lol

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
LiquidG wrote:
Good, I thought it was just me lol
It's the nose and tiny teeth. It's almost uncanny. An evolutionary offshoot perhaps?
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

LiquidG wrote: It's the nose and tiny teeth. It's almost uncanny. An evolutionary offshoot perhaps?
Most definitely.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Chris55 wrote:MAYBE we'll get that G14 remaster

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 97659.html

Hopefully, but how much would they do better in uhd? Even though the 3D was better than the blu ray / dvd it was still a dark movie.
One last hope for a directors cut/ extended edition with airport fight and remastered darkgate, I mean it surely would make more money than only uhd remaster

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

KotM311 wrote:

Hopefully, but how much would they do better in uhd? Even though the 3D was better than the blu ray / dvd it was still a dark movie.
One last hope for a directors cut/ extended edition with airport fight and remastered darkgate, I mean it surely would make more money than only uhd remaster
It's the only way I'm buying another blu ray of the film.... if it's the directors cut/extended edition I mean. If it's this 4k blu ray, fine. Something tells me they'll release it closer to Godzilla 2. I'm shocked there's been no video of Takarada's scene.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Cookson wrote:
KotM311 wrote:

It's the only way I'm buying another blu ray of the film.... if it's the directors cut/extended edition I mean. If it's this 4k blu ray, fine. Something tells me they'll release it closer to Godzilla 2. I'm shocked there's been no video of Takarada's scene.
I do not expect any new cuts of the film in the near future. The movie has been out for almost two years. It's not happening.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, after seeing Shin-Goji's look, I feel like people might be more appreciative of Godzilla 2014, don't you all agree...? :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Cloverfield is the quintessential kaiju film. Legendary should have used inspiration from it for this film. It even had a Godzilla worthy theme at the end. Cloverfield kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time. You could feel the heft of Clover when it walked. What they accomplished on a $50M budget is staggering.

It's the most realistic giant monster film ever made, and quite frankly I doubt it will be surpassed. King Kong couldn't do it, Godzilla couldn't do it, and Pacific Rim couldn't do it.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

Underworld54 wrote:Cloverfield is the quintessential kaiju film. Legendary should have used inspiration from it for this film. It even had a Godzilla worthy theme at the end. Cloverfield kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time. You could feel the heft of Clover when it walked. What they accomplished on a $50M budget is staggering.

It's the most realistic giant monster film ever made, and quite frankly I doubt it will be surpassed. King Kong couldn't do it, Godzilla couldn't do it, and Pacific Rim couldn't do it.
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

DesuGojiFan wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:Cloverfield is the quintessential kaiju film. Legendary should have used inspiration from it for this film. It even had a Godzilla worthy theme at the end. Cloverfield kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time. You could feel the heft of Clover when it walked. What they accomplished on a $50M budget is staggering.

It destroys any kaiju film that has come before it.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Underworld54 wrote:
DesuGojiFan wrote:

It destroys any kaiju film that has come before it.
I love that movie, yes, but that's just not true.
That just really destroys your credibility.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'd be embarrassed to rate Cloverfield higher than The Host or even the Millennium series Godzilla films, much less G14.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I really liked how Cloverfield put its focus on the one common denominator of kaiju films: the everyday citizens caught in the middle of it all, running around and worrying for their lives.

Its awesome how the movie replicates the core horror of what a kaiju attack on a city on would feel like. The fleeting glimpses of the monster were really good too.

I can guess Cloverfield can be seen as "quintessential" based on the fact that it sticks to being an "all thrills, no frills" approach to a single kaiju attack. No on screen info dump or pseudoscience.

In terms of realism? Its clearly unmatched.

Greatest kaiju film of all-time? Not even close.

Kaiju films just aren't about the scrambling citizens, they're also about the monsters, the social context of the films, and so much more.

The thing can't even come close to the cultural impact and mythic feel of the Kong and Godzilla films. But I'm not going to expound on that. You guys know why those films will be remembered for decades to come.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cloverfield was a good film but is is far from the best kaiju movie and I would rank all three films you mentioned over it.

You see too little of Clover for me to rank it anywhere near a top 10.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

>quintessential Kaiju film
>you could feel the heft of Clover when it walked

Despite Clover being in the film for about two minutes. Riiiiiight.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Cloverfield was too boring IMO, too much lead up for a 10 second scene of the monster at the very end
I thought it was shitty and it didn't impress me either. And in theaters is was a god-awful mess of nauseating confusion
1/5 stars

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

2004Zilla wrote:>quintessential Kaiju film
>you could feel the heft of Clover when it walked

Despite Clover being in the film for about two minutes. Riiiiiight.
But you heard Clover for much more than that. Once Godzilla is off screen his presence isn't felt until he arrives back on screen 30 minutes later.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Cloverfield is garbage, one of the worst films to come out in the past decade.