The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by morgoth »

miguelnuva wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:Man I have half the film verse planned out in my head. Superheroes are gonna probably be smaller after 2020 all the big team ups. JL1 and 2 as well as Infinity Wars 1 and 2. After that, people will be pooped out and guess whose gonna come in to take the hype away? Godzilla 2 and GvKK, the new cinematic universe.

And when those rock the BO, we'll get a long running franchise I can bet on it.
You keep saying that about Super heroes despite the opposite proving true.
As long as humanity exists, comic book movies will exist. Personally, I was bored after phase 1.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

morgoth wrote:
Ryguy wrote: Ok, so G14 is far from perfection (EVERY skreeonking movie is, guys. Nothing existing in the lifespan of our Universe has ever been perfect), but it made Godzilla "cool" again, something that I don't believe has ever been done since 1984 (Roland Emmerich tried, but he just raped everything, as y'all know). The general audience respects Godzilla now.

I agree with this. I want to be clear, I wasn't attacking you, Ryguy.
I know. No worries

I tend to get unecessarily aggressive in certain situations, even when they never called for such behavior in the first place
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

miguelnuva wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:Man I have half the film verse planned out in my head. Superheroes are gonna probably be smaller after 2020 all the big team ups. JL1 and 2 as well as Infinity Wars 1 and 2. After that, people will be pooped out and guess whose gonna come in to take the hype away? Godzilla 2 and GvKK, the new cinematic universe.

And when those rock the BO, we'll get a long running franchise I can bet on it.
You keep saying that about Super heroes despite the opposite proving true.
I mean hey I could be right. I could be wrong. Just pokin around at one of the many possible futures. Not like anyone can predict it bro. :)

Besides. Never said they'll stop making them. They'll just be smaller than they were before.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Hahahaha, what?

Are you serious? You really think Godzilla is more popular than the Turtles here?

Jeez, these G14 white knights are getting out of hand.
Oh please if you even bothered to actually read my post I was saying that even though TMNT is allegedly this powerhouse franchise here in the States Godzilla has still done better at the BO. Hell Godzilla has done better than the new Star Trek movies too and that's another power franchise here in the states. No where am I saying that Godzilla is more popular than those franchises...what I am saying is a good Godzilla movie can at least hang with some American franchises. Get over this white knight BS.

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: LMFAO! Sorry G14 didn't revolutionize jack shit.
Maybe not...but it did revive the Godzilla franchise no doubt. Look at the shape it was in before it.

Godzilla '98 was the one that was supposed to revolutionize the franchise. A big budget state of the art special effects Godzilla movie made in America with a nice merchandising campaign and coming at time when dinosaurs were popular in America and Godzilla was enjoying a nice surge as well...it was supposed to do what Jurassic Park, Independence Day and The Lost World: Jurassic Park did at the box office but as we all know due to studio incompetence it did the complete opposite and nearly killed the franchise. Hell it was even tracking to potentially be one of the best performing movies of all time according to the SciFi Japan article. Sony took a crown jewel and turned into dust.

A long comes Godzilla '14...coming at a time when superhero movies are the kings of the box office and the Godzilla franchise...a long with pretty much all other dinosaur and kaiju franchises are pretty much dormant. The teaser trailer at Comic Con debuts to a roaring success but Godzilla '14 still had a lot to prove that the Godzilla franchise can be profitable here in America and wasn't the joke or disaster that the '98 film turned into. Despite having a lot of competition at the BO from Marvel movies and Transformers and Disney movies Godzilla '14 still had one of the biggest opening weekends that year and went on to make half a billion WW and revive the Godzilla franchise....something that a lot of Godzilla fans thought couldn't happen.

Now Godzilla '14 I think taught us and the studios quite a bit. Audiences wanted more Godzilla and I think had the movie had more Godzilla action or at least kept Bryan Cranston alive who IMO should have been the face of the movie then I think the movie could've done a lot more at the BO...BUT that is okay because it was still a good movie and a good take on Godzilla and it just showed what the studio should focus on with Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Kong.

As long as we get a good director with Godzilla 2 then I think this franchise will be fine. I do not think WB/Legendary would give release official release dates to both Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Kong if the movies were in any real danger.

Just think as Godzilla fans we've got it pretty good right now...we've got a new Japanese Godzilla coming out in a month and a Godzilla Cinematic Universe building here in America. Still a good time to be a Godzilla fan. :g2k:

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Ryguy wrote:Yes, I understand that "revive" is a better term for the subject. But I'm going to be completely honest when I say that G14 felt like something more dynamic and complex than just a "revival".

Had Godzilla 2014 never existed, but we still got Resurgence, I would damn-well consider the latter to be a true "revival". For a dozen years, Godzilla would have been lying dormant, but suddenly we are treated with a new movie. It utilizes a more meaty budget along with more up-to-date visual work, but it is just another Godzilla movie and nothing more.

Ok, so G14 is far from perfection (EVERY skreeonking movie is, guys. Nothing existing in the lifespan of our Universe has ever been perfect), but it made Godzilla "cool" again, something that I don't believe has ever been done since 1984 (Roland Emmerich tried, but he just raped everything, as y'all know). The general audience respects Godzilla now.
I don't think it made Godzilla cool again. People were pissed they didn't show him enough and they teased him about his weight...if anything I think Godzilla took a step backwards.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Underworld54 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Yes, I understand that "revive" is a better term for the subject. But I'm going to be completely honest when I say that G14 felt like something more dynamic and complex than just a "revival".

Had Godzilla 2014 never existed, but we still got Resurgence, I would damn-well consider the latter to be a true "revival". For a dozen years, Godzilla would have been lying dormant, but suddenly we are treated with a new movie. It utilizes a more meaty budget along with more up-to-date visual work, but it is just another Godzilla movie and nothing more.

Ok, so G14 is far from perfection (EVERY skreeonking movie is, guys. Nothing existing in the lifespan of our Universe has ever been perfect), but it made Godzilla "cool" again, something that I don't believe has ever been done since 1984 (Roland Emmerich tried, but he just raped everything, as y'all know). The general audience respects Godzilla now.
I don't think it made Godzilla cool again. People were pissed they didn't show him enough and they teased him about his weight...if anything I think Godzilla took a step backwards.
Everything you just said is wrong.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

morgoth wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:

Everything you just said is wrong.
Just ignore him. If him thinking G14 creating a cinematic universe and making Toho feel confident in creating their own movie is taking a step backwards.... Well, simply just ignore him.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:TMNT has been shit since the 90's, they;ve had a couple animated series which i have no bothered to it... and Ninja turtles one sucked HARD, Just no redeeming quality's about it. The second one while barely slightly better ruing Krang and the Shredder again. I hope they don't make a 3rd and Reboot it in 10 year with someone who knows how to make a good Ninja Turtles movie, which the Original 1990 film still holds that title.
The 2003 series is still the best incarnation of the turtles we've gotten, though I hear a lot of good things about the CGI series. You should probably check those two out before saying the franchise "has been shit since the 90s".
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

One thing that just occurred to me is that I don't think we should expect too many rumors in regards to director candidates, lead roles, etc. Legendary doesn't seem to work that way: they kind of just throw final roles out of limbo.

I mean, nobody had any clue John Boyega was going to be landing the PR2 lead, but here comes the media outlets and BOOM, he's in. Same with the new director for PR2 as well.

But I suppose a lack of rumors spells calamity too, even when we are standing but a month a half following May 13th... Yep, it truly is the end times for the Western Godzilla saga...
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Underworld54 wrote:

Godzilla as a brand stepped forward with 2014 but as a artistic concept, I have to say, it was pretty stagnant. It wasn't a step backwards but it sure wasn't a step forward in terms of writing and story. It kind of was a been there, done that movie. Still enjoyed the Hell out of it. :lol:

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

So I guess presenting to the general audience a more serious, attractive film of a franchise that has been teased for decades for being cheesy and poorly-made is not taking a step in the right direction?

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I'm not the world's biggest G'14 fan (far from it), but I do think it ought to get more credit. It was far from retreading old ground, in that, it completely reintroduced and reinvented normal aspects of the series into a very fitting and modern sense - in a way that, by natural comparison, G'98 did not. In fact, I almost feel like elements of G'14 were designed to counter where G'98 failed as an update.

The movie knows precisely how to bring it's given 'world' into the average cinematic scope (which, as a side note, is very impressive for a low-key director such as Edwards) - it doesn't take many risks, it doesn't go for the gold, but it does deliver what it promises (albeit, the delivery isn't perfect) and it does move the concept of Kaiju in America forward. It has what should and very well could have been a real, complete story, solid characters, and a fair sense of realism (more on that later).

It took average flaws with Godzilla films and attempted to fix them; think about it. Ford is not a great character, but he has a hell of a lot more development than almost any other Godzilla character. The story has much more to it than Godzilla Vs MUTO - we have Ford's life, government secrets, the transportation of the bomb, etc. They aimed to succeed with the picture, and the aim, perhaps, was too high; but, that doesn't mean they didn't at least make an attempt, and that it didn't simply move backward.

G'98 tried to fix the characters dilemma by making each character memorable - however, they failed by using barrages of tropes, Simpsonesque caricatures, and annoyingly quirky traits. This film tried again with each character's sheer amounts of, again, exposition. Ford and his Father's whole backstory, Serizawa's ties to Hiroshima and Monarch, even Ford's wife's work as a mother and nurse; I am in no way saying these all worked or were, frankly, necessary, but instead clarifying the film did attempt to cover and repair ground.

Naturally, 98's awful cast translated into an unentertaining story. Legendary didn't write characters particularly well, but they kept the viewer interested by not pushing the boundaries too far with their own cast. While that does tend to be a fault of the film, I can almost understand what they were going for.

As for said realism - they knew Godzilla was a character, this time around. You can't have Mickey without red pants, Mario without a mustache, or Godzilla without.. well, everything that makes him Godzilla. They knew to spare us the 'realism' and continue Kaiju tradition of, of course, strange monsters. They pushed the series forward and opened new doors for themselves by not forcing a real animal down our throats. Godzilla and MUTO are very true-to-life in some design senses, but not as beasts; and it should be that way. It's a fantasy picture, not a nature documentary. The faster they booted that false idea out of the road, the faster they can be creative with their concepts.

They recognized '98 would have never amounted to more than a second option for Jurassic Park fans, and saw how, meanwhile, the Millenium films were creating new realities and concepts left and right, with no regard to realism (with their kaiju). Following that example, they did succeed in bringing a fantastic, yet accessible to the more Americanized audience version of Godzilla - I think that is a huge step in the correct direction.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Ryguy wrote:So I guess presenting to the general audience a more serious, attractive film of a franchise that has been teased for decades for being cheesy and poorly-made is not taking a step in the right direction?
She said it didn't bring Godzilla forward artistically, but certainly brought it forward as a franchise.

And she's right; the plot, while entertaining, doesn't do much to advance the traditional versus formula (enemy monster(s) shows up, military fails to stop it, must rely on hero monster to save the day).

However, it did deliver on a genuinely entertaining Godzilla movie with modern SFX and cinematography that performed well at the box office and got people who would otherwise mock Godzilla interested in the franchise.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, we know. Read the latest posts in the Resurgence thread. This has nothing to do with LP's Godzilla, so I'm not sure why you posted this here.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

what — FUCK! How did I post that in here?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

G2000 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:So I guess presenting to the general audience a more serious, attractive film of a franchise that has been teased for decades for being cheesy and poorly-made is not taking a step in the right direction?
She said it didn't bring Godzilla forward artistically, but certainly brought it forward as a franchise.

And she's right; the plot, while entertaining, doesn't do much to advance the traditional versus formula (enemy monster(s) shows up, military fails to stop it, must rely on hero monster to save the day).

However, it did deliver on a genuinely entertaining Godzilla movie with modern SFX and cinematography that performed well at the box office and got people who would otherwise mock Godzilla interested in the franchise.
Exactly. I was going to reply explaining what I meant but I couldn't of put it better. If you are speaking of Godzilla as a brand, yes it was a step forward but it was stagnant for the most part in terms of writing. I don't think people would be complaining about too little Godzilla if the characters had competent writing. The movie wasn't all that dark compared to what they were pushing. It played things way too safe. Hopefully Sh

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Added in 46 seconds:
G2000 wrote:

Exactly. I was going to reply explaining what I meant but I couldn't of put it better. If you are speaking of Godzilla as a brand, yes it was a step forward but it was stagnant for the most part in terms of writing. I don't think people would be complaining about too little Godzilla if the characters had competent writing. The movie wasn't all that dark compared to what they were pushing. It played things way too safe. Hopefully they will figure out what tone they want to go for in the sequels.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I love James, but this mentality that Godzilla can only be portrayed with rubber suits is fucking irritating.

Audiences are tired of rubber suits. This is 2016 and people have much higher expectations. Do people want Godzilla to be seen as a remnant of the past?

By the way, I found most of his complaints valid and agreeable. It was just that statement about rubber and its capabilities that had me pulling my hair.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.