The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by g2vd »

GFAN198423 wrote:Well Peter Jackson's like Jim Cameron and doesn't grasp what a reasonable run time for a single film is lol.
"God damn it Jim! I'm a movie running time not a running time of the Universe!"
Godzilla

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I like long movies. Gives time for exposition so you walk out understanding the plot. Unlike films where they skip and cut out 11 different scenes and it feels like alot is missing, I'm looking at you Age of Ultron.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who thinks a movie has to be 90 minutes or less either. The key is good storytelling. I've watched nearly 3 hours movies that felt like 90s minutes because they were well paced and used the time effectively, and then there have been others where I'm holding a stop watch.

I find Godzilla 2014 goes by fast, I'm not even sure what the run time is, is it over 2 hours?

There are also movies which have so much story to tell, you need two movies and they try to cram it in one long one and it fails.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Oh man. I wonder what will be the duration of the movie. I'm feeling somewhere between two and a half hours. What a common movie tries to last on ocassions.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Godzilla 2014 was 2 hours and 3 minutes long. Too me it felt long enough and ended on a good note. So I csn't complain there. There are 3 monsters Legendary gets to use. Mothra, Rodan and of course Ghidorah. Now the issue with this and running time is stuffing this into a two hour film without making it seem to long or too short. I assume one of these films is gonna have two of the monsters in it. Juggling two monsters in one film will be a hard task as it is. Godzilla 2014 had a hard time juggling 3, Final Wars was shamed because it had so many and Godzilla blew through them like paper. We've learned from Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 that multiple villains don't do well with critics. So...let's hope they can balance the roles correctly.

Unless the decide to make Godzilla and Kong team up against Ghidorah. Lemme just stop for a second and say Godzilla, Kong and Mothra all the heroic monsters vs Space God Dragon Ghidorah(if he comes from space in this) it would be an absolute dream come true if that was the final act of Godzilla vs King Kong(like WW, Super and Bats vs Doomsday in BvS) but that'll never happen so back on topic...actually that's all I had to say.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

You literally don't need to do anything with Rodan. He's a big pterodactyl, that's it. The other two monsters are different as their backstories are more detailed and extravagant.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I was hoping they'd give Rodan fire powers like he had in some incarnations. It'd help differentiate him from the Male MUTO. Because comparisons are bound to come from non-fans.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I was hoping they'd give Rodan fire powers like he had in some incarnations. It'd help differentiate him from the Male MUTO. Because comparisons are bound to come from non-fans.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

UltramanGoji wrote:You literally don't need to do anything with Rodan. He's a big pterodactyl, that's it. The other two monsters are different as their backstories are more detailed and extravagant.
There's a LOT you can do with Rodan because he's such a blank slate. That's what's so great about him as a character.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Chris55 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:You literally don't need to do anything with Rodan. He's a big pterodactyl, that's it. The other two monsters are different as their backstories are more detailed and extravagant.
There's a LOT you can do with Rodan because he's such a blank slate. That's what's so great about him as a character.
Pretty much. You could have him been another 'Apex Predator', Godzilla's rival outright, or somehow another being that re-appeared after whatever disruption that the Mutos and Godzilla did through out the years till recent times.

Indeed, there's quite a few ways to introduce him yet be engaging at the same time. :)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Chris55 wrote:MAYBE we'll get that G14 remaster

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 97659.html
I wish
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

While not directly Godzilla related it's definitely good news for Gareth and if it turns out as good as we all hope it should help build hype and excitement for Godzilla 2 with him coming back to direct! Also who knows what new things he learned on this project that he can add to Godzilla 2.

‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ Is Year’s Most Anticipated Movie (Survey)
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star- ... 201670942/

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

bczilla91 wrote:While not directly Godzilla related it's definitely good news for Gareth and if it turns out as good as we all hope it should help build hype and excitement for Godzilla 2 with him coming back to direct! Also who knows what new things he learned on this project that he can add to Godzilla 2.

I wonder if he's done shooting by now. Rogue One started shooting in August, and Mads Mikkelsen said it would take (or least his portion of it) three months. So I'm curious if it's in post yet.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

bczilla91 wrote:While not directly Godzilla related it's definitely good news for Gareth and if it turns out as good as we all hope it should help build hype and excitement for Godzilla 2 with him coming back to direct! Also who knows what new things he learned on this project that he can add to Godzilla 2.

This is great news for Gareth and LP/WB. There will be a "drag on" with Star Wars fans coming out to watch his next work which is G2. Rogue One just has to turn out to be really decent.

Rogue One is probably super close to being done shooting if not already. Obviously Gareth will be involved in post production, but he can start looking at G2 a little more. It sounds like WB and LP already know what they want to with G2, so that's a good sign we don't have to wait for a story.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't see how that film is even remotely the most anticipated of the year. Its not like Abrams is directing it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I don't see how that film is even remotely the most anticipated of the year. Its not like Abrams is directing it.
I agree. I think it's just because the survey was done while TFA was out.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I don't see how that film is even remotely the most anticipated of the year. Its not like Abrams is directing it.
Because A. It's a another Star Wars movie. B. It's following after the Force Awakens which is on it's way to being the biggest film ever. and C. It's a another Star Wars movie!
Godzilla

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

D. It's another star wars movie following one that broke records. E. Even if it's just a spin off, it's coming right after a star wars movie that was critically praised and broke records. F. Hype for trailers for films this year are underwhelming compared to how hyped people get about a new star wars movie that's coming out a year after a record breaking Star Wars film.

With all of the Star Wars overload thanks to the force awakens, is this really even a surprise? The majority of the GA doesn't care about what fancy smancy director is directing it, they just see the title of Star Wars and bam, thanks to the force awakens, instant hype about anything related to Star Wars.

Of course, this might not be the case after the hype for the force awakens dies down... Buuuut I doubt that'll happen. Hell, the hype for frozen of all things lasted for years.

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

Because after the monster success of both Jurassic World and Star Wars in 2015 maybe just maaayybee audiences are starting to get worn down by all the superhero movies