The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I think you gotta understand Japan and America have much different standards for violence.
Or Kong tearing out Ramarak's entire guts out from his mouth? ;)
I didn't mean Japan was scared of violence, i met America was more scared of it and that's why that was disturbing to some. Honestly i'm shocked KSI didn't get an R rating.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Or Godzilla decapitating Fem! MUTO with his atomic breath.

Or eating an portion of King Ghidorah's head?

Or that guy getting cannibal holocausted by Mother Longlegs?

Ok sorry I'll stop now. :-x
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LockBite wrote:This is much worse than either of those examples. That broken jaw is more graphic than anything I’ve seen in a PG-13 film. It’s horrifying, dude.
Oh yeah compared to Gamera blowing off his own arm in Gamera 3?

Or Gamera being stabbed by Viras through the stomach multiple times?

Guiron chopping off the Space Gyaos' head?

I could go on.
Is photo-realistic human gore more graphic to most people's senses than that of a latex monster suit? Probably yeah.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LockBite wrote:This is much worse than either of those examples. That broken jaw is more graphic than anything I’ve seen in a PG-13 film. It’s horrifying, dude.
Oh yeah compared to Gamera blowing off his own arm in Gamera 3?

Or Gamera being stabbed by Viras through the stomach multiple times?

Guiron chopping off the Space Gyaos' head?

I could go on.
Yes, yes, yes, and to the Kong example, yes. None of those are remotely comparable to this body horror.
Last edited by LockBite on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The one comparison i could think of was the dudes jaw from Brightburn which was a Rated R Horror film.

But i'm sure he would've been a background extra dead in the rubble, not an actual character.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Yeah I think that's the thing people are glossing over. This dude would have been a prop in the scenery, I thought there would have been a gory super up close shot. Still nice to see some of the practical effectswork done for this movie. I always loved the worldbuilding and gritty style G14 went for.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I feel like all these "GORY MONSTER SCENE" comparisons are fucking stupid.

The reason monster stuff gets insanely messed up because they're monsters. Non humans. Things that can rip each other's jaws off and its "whoa, gnarly!" Instead of horrifying.

Person violence has never been a major things in these movies. Look at Mothra vs Godzilla. Anything goes moanter battle but a downright SUBDUED human fight. This ain't new chief

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I feel like all these "GORY MONSTER SCENE" comparisons are fucking stupid.

The reason monster stuff gets insanely messed up because they're monsters. Non humans. Things that can rip each other's jaws off and its "whoa, gnarly!" Instead of horrifying.

Person violence has never been a major things in these movies. Look at Mothra vs Godzilla. Anything goes moanter battle but a downright SUBDUED human fight. This ain't new chief
We still got some graphic human deaths in K:SI and not just the spider scene. I remember after seeing the movie saying in my review that the only reason this movie isn't R rated is cause someone bribed the MPAA. When I saw Brad Jones' review he said something similar saying the only reason this movie isn't R rated is because it's a WB movie. :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm in the mood to re-watch G14. One thing I wanted to say is that it's Godzilla is pretty memorable. Criticize the monster action, but the imagery of Godzilla roaring and SHAKING the audience is always in my head.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah in the theater when G14 came out, I experienced for the first time a crowd in my area verbally react to scenes as a group.

So Godzilla always had full control over the audience whenever he was on screen. Felt good to be a fan, i've always said it felt like seeing your dad, or a family member in a movie that does extremely well.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

2014 is honestly such a fantastic film, not just a good monster movie. Ya'll are making me seriously wanting to sit down and rewatch it tonight, haha.

#BotM

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I think the carcass in the teaser trailer might have been an homage to Rokmutul. They both have more than 4 limbs but look reptilian. Sure, we don't see the dead monster's head or tail so no one can say for sure buuut it is possible.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I think the carcass in the teaser trailer might have been an homage to Rokmutul. They both have more than 4 limbs but look reptilian. Sure, we don't see the dead monster's head or tail so no one can say for sure buuut it is possible.
It’s probably not an homage but a variation of the same idea: monster with many legs that fights/fought Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

When a promo teaser creates more dread and atmosphere than the actual film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Nani
Interpol Agent

Post by Nani »

Looks like Godzilla 2014 is finally getting a 4K release
https://twitter.com/denofgeeksnews/stat ... 22336?s=21

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Nani wrote:Looks like Godzilla 2014 is finally getting a 4K release
About time. Hope to god the transfer’s improved.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kind of wish we had gotten Tobin Bell in the Monsterverse. He could play another witness to a Titan in the past and is haunted by what he saw.
Nani wrote:Looks like Godzilla 2014 is finally getting a 4K release
Hopefully they won't fuck up the transfer again.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Man, it would be amazing if we finally got a proper copy, 4K would be a waste if the colors and light balance stayed the same.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I'm not really that knowledgeable on transfers. So what I'm gathering is that every single time I've sat down to watch G14, it's been a very shitty dvd transfer, whether it be playing on HBO or I watch some clips on YouTube, and that the only time I saw the movie as it was meant to be seen, was once five years ago in the movie theater?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I'm not really that knowledgeable on transfers. So what I'm gathering is that every single time I've sat down to watch G14, it's been a very shitty dvd transfer, whether it be playing on HBO or I watch some clips on YouTube, and that the only time I saw the movie as it was meant to be seen, was once five years ago in the movie theater?
Yep. Pretty much. Sad, isn't it?

I have to wonder if there's any sort of fan restoration out there that I don't know about.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.