The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gigan72
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by gigan72 »

Just as note, but it also does depend on your TV settings. Many TVs come pre-set to be as bright and showy as possible, while a properly calibrated set will usually be darker and not as super bright.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

gigan72 wrote:Just as note, but it also does depend on your TV settings. Many TVs come pre-set to be as bright and showy as possible, while a properly calibrated set will usually be darker and not as super bright.
Yup this is true. Most come in store demo mode with both the back light and contrast cranked up.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:My Blu-Ray and DVD come up fine. On multiple televisions. No complaints from my friends.
You ever test the film to the special features? There's no way they're identical
Not identical, but still doesn't make the movie itself too dark to see. It's pretty clear for me.
It DOES depend on the TV. I got a new one recently and while it looks better as far as a picture, it's far from what it SHOULD be.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Don't remember what the stock was, I immediately changed the settings to how I wanted them, which may be the case for me on why it looks not-dark. Can't explain it for my friends' TVs.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Every TV will have different capabilities. I adjusted mine as much as possible without making the picture look washed out, but it's low in contrast and I've seen much brighter lights and darker darks in other clips and such.

Problem is, it shouldn't be a question of your TVs limits, like I said, I own countless movies, rented plenty, I've never had the movie itself be so bad. I have a custom setting saved in my TV just for Godzilla, everything else I use the basic default of the TV and things always look great.

I know some people had more success with their TVs than others and all of us will have different degrees of acceptability with the picture, but this is the only movie I've ever seen so much conversation about picture issues like this, and I don't think people who feel the production of the Blu Ray output a poor light balance should be dismissed, I think it's a genuine issue with the transfer and there's room to release it with better levels. I've watched the movie a few times on HBO and my TV settings don't even help really, it's like watching it on BR without adjusting my TV.

Not suggesting as bright at the bottom, but somewhere between the two would be perfect.

Last edited by GFAN198423 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Guys, just Google your tv's model followed by calibration settings and you get many hits of people who put in hours of time calibrating that same model. The last 3 LED's I've had I've done this with fabulous results. A tuned in tv makes a world of difference.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Some of this might be already known, but more thing's from the Original Godzilla 2012 script have surfaced, claiming Godzilla was supposed to be 600 ft tall plus more about the MUTO's and the Brody's.

Some of the stuff in the script sounded better, other's were meh... Further proof Max B. didn't add much to help it.

link - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=127594

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

"Dr. Stabler" takes the place of the man who meets Serizawa and Graham in the Philippines.
SVU had to let him go, huh?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Thank god Borenstein changed the ridiculous 600ft Godzilla originally was going to be in it. I've heard the names Hokmuto and Femuto before, but it's basically their names. I'm surprised WB or LP never gave them these names officially.

Nothing else really stood out honestly as being BETTER then what we got. Honestly, I think Borenstein made things better.....
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Some of those are definitely true, the Art of Destruction shows concept art for the frozen bodies, and for some reason production felt having an ice seen after Man of Steel had one was a bad idea, I don't know, I kind of feel like they probably felt the mine would be easier to render a set and CGI model for and shorten the overall screen time. Man of Steel and Godzilla are so different, I don't think people seeing Godzilla would have been like, not another arctic scene.

The original family dynamic seems strange and I'm not sure how the story would play out with people in those roles, probably for the best it was revised to blood relatives and husband and wife.

The only info about prior drafts that I've ever heard and really wish stayed in the movie was an alternat arrival at the Golden Gate for Godzilla, and who knows how legit that was because it came out of that guy on monsterzero that kept saying he had a script and would leak info. It basically described a more classic Godzilla vs Military scene with Godzilla making his way through a blockade of ships but fighting back, not just plowing through them like they weren't there. Even in past films where Godzilla was our protector, he'd still fight off military attacking him. It was more, he wasn't going to attack mankind unprovoked, but if you mess with him, he will mess with you back.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GFAN198423 wrote:Some of those are definitely true, the Art of Destruction shows concept art for the frozen bodies, and for some reason production felt having an ice seen after Man of Steel had one was a bad idea, I don't know, I kind of feel like they probably felt the mine would be easier to render a set and CGI model for and shorten the overall screen time. Man of Steel and Godzilla are so different, I don't think people seeing Godzilla would have been like, not another arctic scene.

The original family dynamic seems strange and I'm not sure how the story would play out with people in those roles, probably for the best it was revised to blood relatives and husband and wife.

The only info about prior drafts that I've ever heard and really wish stayed in the movie was an alternat arrival at the Golden Gate for Godzilla, and who knows how legit that was because it came out of that guy on monsterzero that kept saying he had a script and would leak info. It basically described a more classic Godzilla vs Military scene with Godzilla making his way through a blockade of ships but fighting back, not just plowing through them like they weren't there. Even in past films where Godzilla was our protector, he'd still fight off military attacking him. It was more, he wasn't going to attack mankind unprovoked, but if you mess with him, he will mess with you back.
Turns out that most of Snowden's script was correct. It was funny how much grief he was given here and turned out to be right.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I like how Godzilla was able to ignore the ships. Missiles, bullets, tank shells. Nothing even phased him. It's REALLY like he's an actual God. And as we all know, you mess with a God, you get struck down. Now, this is what I'm hoping to see, Godzilla get pushed to his limit at one point and one of the man made weapons hurt him and he just turns around and...well let your imagination take it from there.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

My problem with the actual scene is it's too rushed, it's less than a minute of time, he rises, busts through the bridge and done. The God aspect you speak of would have come across more if he rose out away form the bridge, walked slowly towards it taking fire from all angles, unphased, crashed the bridge like it was nothing, and continued on while still being attacked.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

GFAN198423 wrote:My problem with the actual scene is it's too rushed, it's less than a minute of time, he rises, busts through the bridge and done. The God aspect you speak of would have come across more if he rose out away form the bridge, walked slowly towards it taking fire from all angles, unphased, crashed the bridge like it was nothing, and continued on while still being attacked.
Regardless, it was still a pretty cool scene.I mean, at least he didn't die on he bridge.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

ernesth100 wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:My problem with the actual scene is it's too rushed, it's less than a minute of time, he rises, busts through the bridge and done. The God aspect you speak of would have come across more if he rose out away form the bridge, walked slowly towards it taking fire from all angles, unphased, crashed the bridge like it was nothing, and continued on while still being attacked.
Regardless, it was still a pretty cool scene.I mean, at least he didn't die on he bridge.

I see what you did there. :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

A thing I find it pretty funny that the Female, being the biggest and strongest out of the MUTO duo is literally nothing but a little bitch when fighting Godzilla until the Male arrives an saves her ass :lol:
All through the battle with her, Godzilla did nothing but shove her down and stomp her head into the Earth, then the male swoops in…
Then when he gets her alone again, he blasts her into remission with his atomic breath, and is about to hit the bitch with it again, then the male swoops in…
I mean what the hell, she cant fight on her own, but the smaller one had no problem holding its own with that annoying hit and run shit it did.
IDK I guess I just expected the bigger one to be at least a worth a fuck. :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I had a dream that the MUTO fight turned out differently and the MUTO's didn't get one hit on Godzilla. He just demolished them the entire fight.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

ernesth100 wrote:I had a dream that the MUTO fight turned out differently and the MUTO's didn't get one hit on Godzilla. He just demolished them the entire fight.
That's a cool dream...I never dream. :|

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Eat before you sleep.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

G2000 wrote:Eat before you sleep.
Yes. Cheese and bananas.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score