Godzilla....Goes...IMAX!!!

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla....Goes...IMAX!!!

Post by Eunectes »

Earlier today, news broke that Warner Bros and IMAX have partnered to continue to release more movies in IMAX (even if they weren't shot in IMAX). The two studios have been extremely successful so far with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and have struck a deal to "release up to 20 Warner Bros. films in the immersive IMAX Experience over the next three years, in an extension of the core partnership that began in 2003." Most of them are big "tentpole" movies like: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim, Noam Murro's 300: Rise of an Empire and Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. But the others?

Thanks to a list officially released on the IMAX blog (via Nolan Fans), we now know the entire line-up of 20 films over the next three years that Warner Bros is planning to release in IMAX. In addition to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness sequel (which was shot partially with IMAX cameras and is getting a 9-minute IMAX prologue in front of The Hobbit this December), there are quite a few other highly anticipated movies on the line-up that will be landing in IMAX. Here's the full list of WB IMAX films straight from IMAX.com:

Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (March 1, 2013)
Man of Steel 3D (June 14, 2013)
Pacific Rim 3D (July 12, 2013)
300: Rise of an Empire 3D (August 2, 2013)
Gravity 3D: (TBD)
Seventh Son 3D (October 18, 2013)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (December 13, 2013)
All You Need Is Kill 3D (March 7, 2014)
Transcendence (TBD)
Godzilla (May 16, 2014)
Jupiter Ascending 3D (TBD)
The Hobbit: There And Back Again 3D (July 18, 2014)
Black Sky (TBD)
Tarzan 3D (TBD)
Fury Road 3D (TBD)
Journey 3 3D (TBD)

A few of the more important items to note: Alfonso Cuaron's delayed sci-fi Gravity is going 3D (and IMAX) next year, with a release date still TBD; Gareth Edwards' Godzilla and Wally Pfister's directorial debut Transcendence, which is still in the casting/pre-production stage, will also get IMAX releases - but will they be shot on IMAX? Pfister said no: "I'm planning on shooting my movie on film, 35mm anamorphic." In addition, the Wachowskis' big new sci-fi project Jupiter Ascending is also going 3D and IMAX, and I'm curious to see if they consider shooting on the format. The only other project to note is George Miller's Mad Max movie Fury Road, also going 3D and IMAX. Lots of exciting movies on the horizon from this studio.

As I've mentioned time and time again, I'm a much bigger fan of IMAX when the movie was actually shot on the format, as I'm not a fan of the upconverting of 35mm film formats (which I think degrades quality not enhances it). But as long as they continue to push the industry with innovation and as long as filmmakers like Christopher Nolan, J.J. Abrams, Brad Bird, Alfonso Cuaron and the Wachowskis embrace IMAX, it will continue to evolve and only get better. Exciting times for moviegoers lie ahead, and I'm anxious to see some actual footage from many of these. We'll continue to keep you updated and enthusiastic for all of these film
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/wb-goe ... scendence/

Oh yes...

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla....Goes...IMAX!!!

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Yeah! I'm not going to have an headache!
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

This movie is going to be so freaking huge!!!!!!
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I guess Godzilla: 3D to the Max happened after all. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I still really wish they'd cut the 3D out an keep the IMAX (which i am indeed thrilled about) but Godzilla in both IMAX an 3D is gonna be huge an very awesome to see.. I am also starting to believe the budget for this film will be as huge as previously suggested by someone else.

Around 175$ to 250$ million.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Why is this a shock? Brian Rodgers had talked about how they wanted to make an Imax Godzilla movie from the get go. I always thought it was implied?

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

Legion1979 wrote:
Yeah, my question exactly.

An upcoming, big budget American special effects film is going to be presented in IMAX. In this day and age that's not unusual. I'm not going to piss myself simply because it's Godzilla.
How you are a fan is beyond me. We will let you know how the movie is.
Last edited by zilla-x on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

The reason I asked is I wondered if I assumed it was IMax the whole time but it never was? O_o

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

GodzillaIsCool wrote:The reason I asked is I wondered if I assumed it was IMax the whole time but it never was? O_o
I wasnt yelling at you :lol:

but while it has been assumed its just nice to finally get everything confirmed and that after all this waiting its finally coming together for us

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

Though this looked likely, it's great nontheless to have it confirmed.... perfect format for the Big G!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

zilla-x wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
Yeah, my question exactly.

An upcoming, big budget American special effects film is going to be presented in IMAX. In this day and age that's not unusual. I'm not going to piss myself simply because it's Godzilla.
How you are a fan is beyond me. We will let you know how the movie is.
Yeah. It's so hard to consider him a fan just because he's not surprised about the IMAX format. You are literally the only person on this entire message board who acts this way. "Waaah, people are excited for Pacific Rim, so that means it's inherently opposed to Godzilla. WAAAH!" "Waaah, someone didn't freak out about a trivial detail like IMAX!" Jesus Christ, dude.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

So why some people acting like IMAX is such a big deal when its pretty much the standard setter for the optimal cinema audiovisual experience?

Seriously. AMC Theatres have their own equivalent while in other locations I have seen IMAX technology in other theatres as well. It's not like IMAX is the revolutionary deal it was when the 90s generation were kids because it evolved into a more premium option for filmgoers than encapsulating the experience entirely.

In another twenty to thirty years, I can see IMAX as the default where the costs associated with the transfers and optimization are nullified by more spending power and lower costs in general.

Its awesome that Godzilla will be in IMAX, but they've been making WB films into IMAX for some time.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

I wonder if Godzilla will be filmed partially with IMAX cameras?

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

gatorzilla wrote:I wonder if Godzilla will be filmed partially with IMAX cameras?
I hope so. I'm not really a fan of coverting the film after all is said and done. But who knows? It might look good in IMAX regardless.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:I wonder if Godzilla will be filmed partially with IMAX cameras?
I hope so. I'm not really a fan of coverting the film after all is said and done. But who knows? It might look good in IMAX regardless.
That's usually how I feel about 3D normally but its Godzilla, 3D and IMAX so ill make an exception :huge:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

70mm IMAX offers a greater resolution, but a poorer aspect ratio (1.43). Regular anamorphic 35mm is fine with me.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

I'm sure every scene that counts: (Godzilla, Destruction) Will be filmed in IMax. I don't really care if dialogue sequences are filmed in it.

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

This is honestly not a very big deal, but it IS nice to know it will be released in IMAX. Godzilla is born to be seen on a gigantic screen with awesome resolution and earth shattering sound!

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

I'd be happy to see Godzilla in IMAX. NOT, however, in 3-D. I really don't like 3-D. Does IMAX do movies in 2-D?
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

They could bring the Taco Bell dog back and run the slogan "I think I'm going to need a bigger screen" ;)
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014