Godzilla (2014) video game tie-in?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Godzilla (2014) video game tie-in?

Post by Godzillawolf »

Do you guys think there should be a video game tie in to this film? Given the surge of 'Movie Video Games', I think this is inievitible. But the question is, is it likely and, more important, is it possible to be done GOOD?

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Re: Video Game Tie In?

Post by Godzillawolf »

Yeah true, probably why the Spiderman games weren't horrid. Only thing I wonder is if it should be simular to the King Kong video game, where part of it is human characters and part of it is the main kaiju.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

It seems more then likely to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tie in Pipeworks-esque game.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Never said it would be made by them, but since those games already have a general awareness and following it wouldn't be surprising to have a movie game follow a similar formula.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

TigerKaiju
Ronin

Post by TigerKaiju »

oh man. that would be a dream come true. i've never played the '05 kong game, but i was told there is parts where you play as kong, and parts where you play as the main human characters of the movie? although i'd much prefer playing as Godzilla only, and maybe playing as whatever the main enemy of the movie would be. i could see that working out. i know the green goblin was an option in the spiderman games, after beating the game.

Also i like how games have two separate stories from different perspectives that tie in to each other. First one that comes to mind is transformers. I REALLY hope a decent studio picks it up though, if it does happen. A lot of movie to game adaptions, ( that are usually comic to movie first lol) wind up getting bad ratings. but the fanbase always enjoys them. Godzilla doesn't get much lately, aside from the poorly made Bandai figures in toys r us and comic shops. I'll take anything i can get!
http://www.facebook.com/ron.fazzi

check out my Godzilla redesign, based off excitement for Godzilla 2012, here:
http://kickboxingkaiju.deviantart.com/#/d3063ue

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

The 2005 King Kong game was really good actualy, seriously recommend picking it up if you have the time. As for a Godzilla game, I'm not sure if this formula would work. I guess it depends on the film. I've actually thought a human vs. Kaiju game would be pretty cool if executed correctly. However, as many people have said in the past: A Godzilla game where you don't play as Godzilla would not be very popular.

TigerKaiju
Ronin

Post by TigerKaiju »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:The 2005 King Kong game was really good actualy, seriously recommend picking it up if you have the time. As for a Godzilla game, I'm not sure if this formula would work. I guess it depends on the film. I've actually thought a human vs. Kaiju game would be pretty cool if executed correctly. However, as many people have said in the past: A Godzilla game where you don't play as Godzilla would not be very popular.

yeah i guess you're right. i could see human gameplay if the game takes a darker route. It would have to be scary though, and now that i think about it, it could be really awesome. A horror game involving Godzilla, totally has potential. but theyre probably not going to go in that direction with the Film. not like i'm complaining, i would prefer to play as Godzilla anyway.
and ofcourse most movie -game ties ins always have unlockable concept art from the movie. what a treat that would be!

and The kong game is probably like 5 bucks now right? lol im totally gonna get it
http://www.facebook.com/ron.fazzi

check out my Godzilla redesign, based off excitement for Godzilla 2012, here:
http://kickboxingkaiju.deviantart.com/#/d3063ue

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

what if it has the feature that lets you choose what side to play as. Godzilla or Human, with 2 different sides to the story?

like the Transformers and AVP game
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Tyler wrote:Uwe Boll's Godzilla: The Official Game of the Movie.
Dont...even....joke....about that.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Imo there's going to be a tie in game to go with the movie: tie in games have been a big deal since video gaming started. The type of game depends on the movie i would think, and the quality will depend on the developer\producer.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

I dont think most gaming companies know how to handle Godzilla other than making it a fighter. I always thought a survival horror Godzilla game would work and should let you control humans and work in sections. It should have 4 different scenarios with 4 different main charactors and each has their own part in the story. Play as a news journalist who is caught in the wrath of Godzillas attack in a major city or play as a fighter pilot who is dispatched to counter attack the monster/monsters etc. I want something different for once and something that would actually be successfull.

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

^
Exactly, people are naturally going to want to play as Godzilla.

But right now there's no way to know what this game would be like, if it's made at all, because we have no idea what the movie will be like. Look at the King Kong game for example. Peter Jackson's movie was perfect for a video game. Now could they have done it with Dino's version? Probably not. It all depends on what the movie is like.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

I'd kinda like some degree of free roam as Godzilla, like be able to rampage and fight the military just to do it, outside a minigame or something, the point is just for fun.

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

Living Corpse wrote:The movie might not even effect the nature of any game, they might make a fighter totally unrelated to the movie with a few extras like concept art and maybe G2012 unlockable playable incarnations of Godzilla and other monster(s) to promote the film. Plenty of other games have done the same, having nothing to do with a new film other then a few extras to promote the film and cash in on the hype.
Your right there. But if they were to create a fighter just to cash in on the hype, they would need the copyright for the other toho monsters they were planning to use. That could end up being harder to do than just creating the game based on the actual movie itself.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

i agree that no Godzilla game should be made pOV of the humans. but i always thought that a mini level based on the POV of a citizen during a Godzilla or other Kaiju attack would be awesome.

running from one point of a city to another in the dark. only street lights and other things of that sort lighting the path. while having Godzilla's foot slam down feet away from you. and seeing just a bright blue streak of light pulvurizing the road. creating an obsticle.

seems like a super AWESOME idea for a one/maybe two time thing.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Post by Reptile »

I have to agree I'd much prefer a game similar to King Kong. I really, really don't want another fighter. Even if the game sucks, the novelty of free roaming as Godzilla himself could be worth picking it up for a rental.

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Post by Reptile »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Reptile wrote:I have to agree I'd much prefer a game similar to King Kong. I really, really don't want another fighter. Even if the game sucks, the novelty of free roaming as Godzilla himself could be worth picking it up for a rental.

Jaws Unleashed-like? :eh:
You got to admit, for all the issues the game faced it was fun to swim around as a giant rage shark and drag helpless people around underwater. It was worth the rental, even if would never buy it.

Frankly I would prefer a Godzilla game like that rather than another awful fighter that might as well be Godzilla 4.

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

Reptile wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Reptile wrote:I have to agree I'd much prefer a game similar to King Kong. I really, really don't want another fighter. Even if the game sucks, the novelty of free roaming as Godzilla himself could be worth picking it up for a rental.

Jaws Unleashed-like? :eh:
You got to admit, for all the issues the game faced it was fun to swim around as a giant rage shark and drag helpless people around underwater. It was worth the rental, even if would never buy it.

Frankly I would prefer a Godzilla game like that rather than another awful fighter that might as well be Godzilla 4.
I do agree, I would love the ability to free roam and obiterate the city at your leager.

Though I'd kinda like a 'karma meter' of sorts, if you take care not to cause damage to the city in free roam, the military is less likely to attack you and more likely to aid you in a boss battle, level the city and they'll be all over you and eventually, you'll be facing off with a mecha soon enough if you keep it up, but that same mecha may help you out if, even if the pilot wants to kill you, in a fight with an enemy monster if you're the one that isn't destroying the city.

And I don't mean trying to not destroy the city at all, I mean doing what he does in the movies, a straight path through, not just destroy the entire place or things that aren't in your path.

In a sense, what I mean is you'd have control over how Godzilla's 'character' developes throughout the game, at least how the humans percieve you and ultimately, the ending. Pretty much, avoiding destruction when possible would shift towards the Showa style view of a Godzilla being a heroic protector. In the ending of that, humans would honor and respect you, and in the 'free roam' afterwards (I love that in a game), you're not attacked or anything. If you go destroy everything that's in your way but not destroy anything you don't need to would get you threated like the Heisei Godzilla. Humans would deploy only the force needed to try and discourage you, and the ending would be like any ending of a Heisei Godzilla movie, Godzilla lives in the world, humans just try to withstand him like a natural disaster. Finally, if you level the whole city every chance you get, you'll get threated like the GMK Godzilla or the orignal, an unstoppible juggernaught of destruction that must be destroyed at all costs and will be attacked with litterally everything in the entire army arsanal, mecha included.

However, each one would have benefits, like the 'force of nature' style would increase your durability and regeneration, Heroic would give you speed and certain fighting skills others can't do (like showa), and the 'evil' style would increase power and give you a more powerful Atomic Ray like the GMK Godzilla.

Yeah, I know, it'd stray from the movie in most likelyhood, but think about it, how often do movie games stick to the plot in its entirely? A few alternate endings wouldn't hurt. And on that note, I know a few games which where not at all like their movie counterpart (I'm looking at you Superman Returns Video Game!)

Still, I think this would be fun to do.

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

^ Yeah, that's be cool, though default would probably be the movie design. But that'd be cool, though perhaps getting each 'ending' unlocks the appoprate character skin.

Another cool thing, from this perspective, is how you deal with bosses. Like if you're the 'evil' Godzilla, you obliterate your defeated foe, if you're the 'heroic' Godzilla, then you spare his life and he'll come back to help you later, Natural would pretty much leave him unconscious but still alive (like with Rodan in the second Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla), and perhaps he'll come help you later. Or this be choice, like it pops up a quick time event, one button finishes the opponent, the other you let them live. And if they're spared, they'll return later to help in a later battle, but you get more experience or whatever for killing them.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Necro-posting because there was no where else to put this.

Subject: Does Atari still have the TOHO license?
Mr. Strange wrote:Update - this past week Toho informed Sunstone Games that the Toho license has been given to an unspecified developer, probably to allow them to make a tie-in game for the 2014 movie.

So somebody has it - but we don't know who. It's not us!

We might be getting a game after all. Key word, might. We'll see.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png